We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Join Page - Side Bar | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
matt
matt Dec 3 '12
Hi,

On our join page, the right side bar (mcarbre theme) this showing. I have some custom html and links in it, and would like guests not to be able to see this?

Any clues as how to diasable this behaviour?

Cheers,

Matt
Alia Team
Alia Dec 4 '12
>>On our join page, the right side bar (mcarbre theme) this showing.

What is showing?
Can you give your site URL?
matt
matt Dec 16 '12
See attached pic.

Sorry cant give you URL, the site is behind a password.

But I would still like to get to the bottom of this behaviour.  The sidebar and widgets really shouldn't be showing on this page.

Attachments:
  sideBar_showing.jpg (83.3Kb)
Alia Team
Alia Dec 16 '12
Matt, I wasn't able to reproduce this issue in the original "macabre" theme. Try uploading original one without any changes. If the same issue will be present in original theme, let me know.
matt
matt Dec 17 '12
Thanks Aliia,

I tried reinstalling my themes etc. The problem persists. You can see from the screen shot below that the graphite with sidebar theme also does this.

As you can see, only the HTML widgets I have added to the sidebar are showing. So I very strongly suspect that the problem is not with the themes but the way the HTML widget is handled.

Can you ask a dev please?

xx
Matt
Alia Team
Alia Dec 19 '12
Just a small clarification where did you add your HTML widgets to the side bar? On the customization page of the dashboard?
matt
matt Dec 19 '12

Quote from Aliia On the customization page of the dashboard?

Yes! :)

matt
matt May 26 '13
I still didn't find the solution to this. My sidebar still shows on the join page.

Any further pointers?

Matt
dave Leader
dave May 26 '13

I dont remember how i did mine... www.anorexiadating.com   i have a banner there,  but without that nothing is there.

I either edited the dashboard or the main and i chose customize this page and i removed those items by clicking on the x.  now they dont show on the join but they do show once the member is logged in..

try that.

matt
matt May 26 '13
Thanks Dave,

For me, customizing the pages and turning of the widgets, means that they disappear for guests and members. Puzzled....

Cheers,

Matt
dave Leader
dave May 26 '13
Yeah me too,  will play with my page later today and see if i can remember how i did that.
Alia Team
Alia May 27 '13
Dave, I think that you used Advertisement plugin to add the banner to the sidebar.

Matt, you mentioned that you have added custom html widgets using "Customize this page" button of the dashboard. Thing is I can't understand how you managed to put custom widget to sidebar.

It is impossible to add widgets to the sidebar from admin panel>>pages&menus>>user dashboard, since "sidebar" is not even displayed there:

It is also impossible to add anything to sidebar if you log in as any user>>go to dashboard>>click "customize this page". User can't move widgets to sidebar. This function doesn't exist:

Am I missing something?

matt
matt May 27 '13
Nope your not missing anything. The simple problem is that the Side bar shows up on the Join Page. The widgets would get added from customizing the main page, rather than the dashboard. I havnt made any code mods in this regard.  Weather there are custom widgets or not, I would like the sidebar to not show until login. But cant seem to get any advice on how to do so.

Cheers,

Matt

dave Leader
dave May 27 '13

Maybe try to use the advertisement plugin and in the banner code either put a blank image with transparent background or use an image that is same color as background.

dave Leader
dave May 27 '13
and if you dont have photoshop i can make you an image if you want.
matt
matt May 28 '13
Hi Dave, Thanks. I tried installing the advert plugin, but I couldnt see an option to turn of the sidebar on the join page.

Thanks for your help.

Matt
dave Leader
dave May 28 '13

lol sorry i was not clear,  no you dont turn off sidebar,  you do a visual trick.  If you saw my ad banner where the side bar should be.   What you do is you just use a transparent image instead of the red banner that i used.   

It will have the same affect, the side bar will go away because you are displaying a banner, and if you use  transparent image (or an image the same color as the background) for the banner, it looks like nothing is there.   Its just a visual trick.

matt
matt May 28 '13
Aha! Right that makes sense. Sorry for being a bit thick :) But then I will lose sidebar on all of my pages? or no?

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help :)

Matt
dave Leader
dave May 28 '13

Here is my dashboard, do you see anything missing?, i dont.  On the dashboard the banner just shows under the sidebar data.

here is the image..

The only thing you will have left to do is just take out the word advertisement from your lang file and make it say something else like welcome or hello or something, you dont want to leave it blank because then you cant find it. 

Attachments:
  dashboardsample.jpg (208.31Kb)
matt
matt May 29 '13
Hi Dave,

Funnily enough. Using the widget restrict access tick boxes (as you suggested in the thread about group newsfeed) fixed the join page sidebar problem.

Good work sir!

Matt
Pages: 1 2 »