We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Working with Saffiano Leather | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
RichardGravener
RichardGravener Sep 20 '22

Hi clever leather workers!

I'd like to ask a question on how to make a stiff leather corner neatly. It's a turned construction so I really doubt I'll have much success, to be honest.

I've been asked by my client to work with saffiano leather. Essentially, it's a chrome tan with a coating on it. Feels kinda plasticy and stiff, it's really not my first choice for this style of bag. Personally, I don't like saffiano leather, it doesn't feel like real leather to me. It feels cheap and nasty and plastic. No smell of leather either, which is what I love most about leather working.

I have tried skiving it really thin, I've cut into the curves to make it fit into the corners better, pretty much anything I can think of and it still looks rubbish. Even my stitching just won't cooperate and look nice and even. 

Essentially, I want the corners to look like the brown pouch pictures. This is a gorgeous chrome tanned German leather that I picked up from the trade expo as a sample hide. I had a few small bits left from a bag I made so I though I'd use them to experiment with. how to clean saffiano leather

I also have a hide of it in a beautiful wine colour and I'm trying to talk them around to letting me use that instead of their leather, as I doubt I'm going to get a nice finished product and I'm way too fussy to do a half measure.

Does anyone have any tips on how I could make the Saffiano work? I've attached some pics of my sample pieces for your info. 

Thanks so much!

hamioel
hamioel Aug 29 '23

I'm seeking advice on achieving clean, stiff leather corners, especially in a turned construction. Despite my efforts, I'm skeptical about success.

My current project involves saffiano leather, a chrome-tanned type with a coating that gives it a plasticky stiffness. To be honest, it's not my preferred choice for this bag style. Personally, I find saffiano leather lacking the genuine leather feel I adore; it seems rather cheap and synthetic, devoid of that distinct leather aroma.

I've experimented with thin skiving, cutting into curves for better corner fitting, and various approaches, but the results remain unsatisfactory. Even stitching doesn't cooperate for that smooth, even look.

My goal is to replicate the corners seen in the brown pouch images, crafted from a delightful German chrome-tanned leather I acquired at a trade expo. I've utilized remaining pieces to experiment with techniques.

I also possess saffiano leather in an appealing wine hue and I'm pushing to use it instead of the client's leather. I'm a perfectionist and reluctant to settle for subpar results.

Vene Eehers
Vene Eehers Dec 1 '23
Saffiano leather is a type of leather that is known for its durability, scratch resistance, and water resistance. It is made by embossing a crosshatch pattern onto the surface of the leather and then applying a wax coating. This gives the leather earring ideas its distinctive look and feel. Saffiano leather is often used to make handbags, wallets, and other luxury goods.