We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Why you need office 365 Data Backup? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Peter Groft
Peter Groft Oct 24 '22

The following five reasons may have you convinced that if you want to be compliant and be able to quickly restore your information, native O365 functionality is not enough.

1. Disruptions and outages of Microsoft services may lead to downtime and data loss

Against popular belief, power outages and service disruptions due to hardware or software failure aren’t that unusual for cloud giants like Microsoft. For example, the Microsoft outages in September and October 2020 heavily affected many European regions by causing massive downtime for companies.

If something happens from Microsoft’s side, you won’t be able to reach your data and continue working unless you have a backup

2. Office 365 account deletion leads to the deletion of all the data on that account

Deleting O365 accounts is quite a standard procedure in companies. There are many instances when an O365 account can be deleted:

To save money on licenses when an employee leaves

To migrate data to another account or data management suite

As the result of license services ending

As a result of negligent accidental account deletion

As a result of intentional (malicious) account deletion

Regardless of the reasons behind the account deletion, the outcome for you will stay the same: the account data will be erased forever.

Microsoft addresses this possibility in their services agreement and recommends their users to regularly back up their data if they want to access it after the account deletion.

3. Native Office 365 backup & recovery tools’ capabilities are limited

Does Microsoft backup Office 365 data? Well, yes and no.

Office 365 allows you to recover deleted items. However, the native Office 365 recovery tools are quite limited. The basic recovery from Deleted Items helps with recently accidentally deleted emails, but what about other cases? Long-deleted or purged files, corrupted mailboxes, items lost due to cyber-attacks or incorrect migrations – these are just a few things Microsoft will not help you to restore. Here are the limitations of the native recovery:

Recovery is time-limited. Office 365 retention time is quite limited. By default, the items are kept around for up to 30 days (14 days by default). Moreover, the purged items will be lost. However, you might need to restore your long-deleted files and emails. For example, for compliance or reporting purposes. That’s why you’ll need an Office 365 Email Backup

No point-in-time recovery. Let’s say your mailbox has got corrupted, and the version history is turned off. Your data becomes lost forever as there is no way to choose the “clean” version and restore it. This is possible only if you backup your Office 365 mailbox.

Recovery is overcomplicated. Unlike professional backup software, O365 is not a one-click solution. For example, Office 365 recovery via In-Place eDiscovery & Hold has many conditions and steps that are too time-consuming and still not always helpful.

4. Permanent data deletions in Office 365 are irreversible without a backup

There are two ways data can be deleted in Office 365: temporarily (soft-deleted) and permanently (hard-deleted). In the first case, your information is recoverable without backup; in the second case, it isn’t.

Data becomes permanently deleted (or hard-deleted) without hope for restoration in the following cases:

1. When it has been temporarily deleted (or soft-deleted) for longer than 30 days without being restored;

2. When the user account that is associated with this data has been hard-deleted;

3. When someone manually removes the data from the Recoverable Items folder.

To know more about Office 365 Email Migration or Office 365 Tenant Migration visit Apps4Rent.

mtom
mtom Nov 5 '22
Thx for your post. I’d like to write my opinion that the expense of car insurance varies from one insurance plan to another, due to the fact there are so many different facets which contribute to the overall cost. Such as, the model and make of the auto will have a massive bearing on the price. A reliable outdated family motor vehicle will have an inexpensive premium compared to a flashy sports vehicle. 파워볼전용사이트
andree one
andree one Nov 29 '22
If you're like most people, you probably have at least one computer and a few files stored on it. But if you're like most people, you also probably have no idea how to properly protect slope your data. Office 365 Data Backup is a great way to keep your data safe and secure, and it's easy to use. Simply create a plan and start backing up your files today! 
mtom
mtom Dec 19 '22
Shakira and Taylor Swift are my favorite singers, Shakira is great on live performance,. Coinbase wallet Review
mtom
mtom Mar 14 '23
I am usually to blogging and that i truly appreciate your articles. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your web site and maintain checking for first time information. 안전놀이터