We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Vintage Cologne and Eau de Toilette question (Lauren by Ralph Lauren) | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
RichardGravener
RichardGravener Nov 7 '22

I wonder if anyone can clarify a question I have that confused me.

I came across a vintage bottle of an American women's fragrance that I know very well and given none of the women in my life wear it I thought I might buy a bottle for myself!

It was marked as a 118ml, 4oz Cologne Splash, but not Eau de Cologne. My immediate thought was that this was the strength of the fragrance. But on the bottom of the bottle it had 'Eau de Toilette'! So Cologne wasn't the strength.
Cologne Samples
it ocurred to me that the term 'Cologne' must be an American term for a 'Splash' rather than a 'Spray Vaporiser'.

Is this correct?

Jennifer David
In the fragrance world, the term "Cologne" can indeed refer to a splash or liquid form, rather than a spray vaporizer. It's possible that the term "Eau de Toilette" on the bottom of the bottle indicates the actual strength of the fragrance, while "Cologne" denotes the form in which it's applied. My brother recently ordered the Ralph Lauren Polo Club Men Spray Tester online, and it's fascinating to see how terminology can vary in the fragrance industry.