We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Ubuntu linux-image-5.4.89 | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Martina Perez
Martina Perez Mar 27 '23
It looks like I fixed the broken installation with the following steps:

Manually removed the broken installation package from linux-image-5.4.88-xanmod1 using synaptic, using the mark for complete removal. This could not be done, but the following recommendation was given.
    $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Reboot and manually select kernel 5.4.89-xanmod1
    An attempt was made to manually remove a broken linux installation package-image-unsigned-5.8.0-38- universal, using a synaptic label for complete removal. It had to be replaced with a linux image-5.8.0-38- generic, which failed because it was marked as being in an inconsistent state and recommended for re-installation.
    Using synaptic, a manually labeled linux-image-unsigned package-5.8.0-38- universal for updating. It had to be replaced with a linux image-5.8.0-38- a generic that has been crowned with success.
    $ sudo apt autorun
    I used Grub Customizer to return two entries 5.4.89-xanmod1 back to the top of the "Advanced Options for Ubuntu" submenu list.
    Used Grub Customizer to copy the lines "linux" and "initrd" from the first entry 5.4.89-xanmod1 to the menuentry "Ubuntu", so that 5.4.89-xanmod1 is again the default menu item (i.e. the first one) that Grub2 can find. [I have not been able to find a suitable command line tool for this, but suppose it is updated every time a new kernel is installed in Ubuntu.]
Saved changes using Grub Customizer.
Mike Stoner
Mike Stoner Mar 27 '23
It seems like you might need to remove the broken install package manually using Synaptic, and then use the "sudo dpkg --configure -a" command to fix any remaining broken packages.By the way, have you considered upgrading to a more current version of Ubuntu or switching to a different Linux distribution? CentOS 7, for example, has reached its End of Life, but you can still get extended support from TuxCare: https://tuxcare.com/extended-lifecycle-support/centos-7-extended-support/ I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!