We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

This company has disabled customer reviews!!!!! - Paid Membership | Forum

tracy
tracy Jan 12 '13
DO NOT BUY THIS!!! the admin is by default on the free account, so when you disable any permissions on the free account, you also disable those permissions for the admin.....this plugin works by adding a user role....the problem is that you cannot change the admin's user role to adjust permissions.....this does not work....and they have disabled customer reviews so that no one can tell you this.......
tracy
tracy Jan 15 '13
how do you assign admin role?
Arnold
Arnold Jan 16 '13
Guess you are right. Currently this plugin does not work correctly. It does do the PayPal payment forwarding and does return the user back to the site, but does not upgrade their role. So you need to manually upgrade the user role after you receive payment confirmation from PayPal via email.

I have private messaged the plugin creator and awaiting a reply for Upgrade for this plugin.

I am running oxwall 1.5 in which i installed clean and have no additional plugin installed except for the PayPal plugin that is required for the Membership plugin to function, and the base plugins that come with Oxwall 1.5

For the Admin Role
==============

The Admin role can be assigned adding the user as a moderator then clicking on the admin section to add them to the admin role

Privacy and Permissions - Moderator

Make Moderator for the user you need to set to Admin Role, once you add them you will see a checkbox that say "Admin"

By checking this that user will not only be a moderator, but also an Admin. Be careful who you assign as admin, as they could delete the main admin account accidentally.

Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Jan 17 '13
Tracy, Arnold,  I have PMed you back regarding your issues with "user roles" not being updated automatically.

>> admin is by default on the free account, so when you disable any permissions on the free account, you also disable those permissions for the admin.

This part might be, indeed, very confusing. Let me explain how this works in detail with screen shots.

Site administrator, as any other user at Oxwall, can not exist on the site without a user role. By default site administrator gets default user role, which in standard Oxwall package is called a "Free" user role.  This user role is displayed and can be edited only in admin panel>users>user roles.

In the "Permissions" ( admin panel>privacy&permissions>roles) page you can set which actions are available for the "Free" user role:

So now you install "Paid Membership" plugin. You log in as site admin and visit "Subscriptions" page.
Here whatever you have allowed/not allowed in "Permissions" will be displayed.

As you can see from the information given above, the issue with admin features taken away if those features are removed from permissions of certain user role is not tactually connected to Paid Membership plugin as such. This issue is connected more to the way "Permissions" and "User Roles" feature works in Oxwall software.

If in permissions of "Free" user role you remove for example "Add video". Then admin of the site who has this user role, will not be able to add videos.

Solutions  is very easy. Create a special user role for the site admin and grant this role ALL permissions. Then assign your admin user this new role. No need to "subscribe" admin using "Paid Membership" plugin.

Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Jan 17 '13
>>>how do you assign admin role?

This depends on what you mean by "admin" role.

Arnold's solutions is a good one. Oxwall allows site admin ( the one who created the site) to add more moderators with different rights. This can be done in admin panel> privacy&permissions>moderators.
Each moderator can have different rights. The ones you are looking for are called "Base" and "Admin". In general moderators with "Base" rights will have access to editing user profiles. Moderators with "Admin" rights will have access to admin panel.

Also, if you would like to have just one site admin. Create a new role as suggested in my previous reply and give this role all permissions.

tracy
tracy Jan 17 '13
thank you for your response
The Forum post is edited by tracy Jan 17 '13
You do not have permission to reply this topic