We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Question About User Roles | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Stephanie Urquhart
Stephanie Urquhart Jan 13 '13
Hello. I am sorry for posting but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer to a question that I have.

I have set up three user roles for my site. My biggest problem right now is that when someone registers for the site they are presented with a drop down box and they are able to choose any of the three roles listed. I do not want anyone to be able to select a role at signup, as they should all begin with the default. is there a way to correct this?

Also, I would love to have users automatically upgraded to the next role after a certain length of time or activity on the site. Is this possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Sadly that's how it works.
Stephanie Urquhart
Stephanie Urquhart Jan 13 '13
Hi Purusothaman. Thank you for the reply. It's unfortunate, but hopefully I can figure out a way to make everything work. So far I'm very pleased with Oxwall and would really prefer to use it for my site.

Would your "Membership Level" program perhaps solve this problem?

Is it possible to hide the other user roles and manually assign them later?

I think I should explain what I'm trying to do in order to be clear and to find the best solution. I want to offer a few different levels of membership; one account that is "forever free," another that will cost $12 per year and make the user a "supporting member," and an account option for vendors at $60 per year.

Right now, when someone registers they see a drop down box that allows them to select any of the roles I have created and I think it will cause a lot of confusion. If I can at least hide them I can change roles manually. It isn't ideal, but I'm not sure what other options I have.

If anyone has any input or has a site set up in a similar way that I could see in action I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from Stephanie Urquhart Would your "Membership Level" program perhaps solve this problem?

No. It's totally for different purpose.
Alia Team
Alia Jan 14 '13
>>I have set up three user roles for my site. My biggest problem right now is that when someone registers for the site they are presented with a drop down box and they are able to choose any of the three roles listed.

I think, that here you meant "Account Types" and not user roles.
First of all, let me explain what the 'Account type' field is needed for.

Let's presume that your site is a business portal for potential employers and those who is looking for a job. So, there should be two different sets of profile questions separately for the employers and for those looking for job vacancies on your site. That's why you should create an additional Account type and select the different profile questions for it.

And if while searching you choose a certain Account type, you will see only those profile questions that had been set for this type. And there is no needed to change the 'Account type' field for multiple choices, because if you are an employer you will search only for the people looking for a job.

User Roles feature is a members' limitation. You can set the limit for each of the member roles. For example: You have two roles - 'Standard' and 'Gold'. A member with the 'Gold' role can read forum topics. But a member with the 'Standard' role can not do it, as his role limitations do not allow him to do that. You will be able to select the services that will be available for members with 'Standard' or 'Gold' roles.

>>I do not want anyone to be able to select a role at signup, as they should all begin with the default. is there a way to correct this?

So, when users register on your site they select an account type and get default user role.
Admin of the site can change each user's user role later on.

>>Also, I would love to have users automatically upgraded to the next role after a certain length of time or activity on the site. Is this possible?

It is possible, but requires custom code modification.
You can suggest this idea at UserVoice.
Or find a developer to complete this work for you at Oxwall Market.
Stephanie Urquhart
Stephanie Urquhart Jan 14 '13
Thank you Aliia. Thanks to your post I understand this much better now. I had hoped to allow users a more robust profile based on their membership level, but I see that unless some custom code modification is made that is not possible.

Thank you for the info!
tracy
tracy Jan 19 '13
Aliia, I'm sorry but you are incorrect, the admin cannot change the user role later on...the user role will stay in default regardless if you try to change that user's role....you will notice that the box will stay checked for free user role even when you check it for the new user role, the new user role permissions will not transfer over to that user, they will remain with the free user role permissions.......
Alia Team
Alia Jan 23 '13
Answer to Tracy's question/concern can be found here: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/7897?page=2#post-39324