We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall is great and I hope it makes the SSO easier | Forum

Asshu
Asshu Aug 20 '10
I am testing the new Oxwall .
It is nice and better than other scripts .There are many other clone scripts of social networks with lot more features and unfortunately many of them were closed down and some other are being Inactive.

May be the Big brother Dolphin and other hosted social networking platforms are the reason for that .

We got Oxwall after waiting for more than 1 year and still we have some limitations in white labeling and lack of modules .

I hate dolphin only because of one reason as it doesn't allow me to use ads and strictly prevents me to [strong]white label my own network hosted on my own web space.Here I appreciate Oxwall as it allows me to use Adsense[/strong] .Thank God ! OXwall doesn't restrict to use adsense like dolphin :)

And Oxwall 's Interface is very sexy and gives a new feeling to users.
I don't worry about the wiki module ,live podcasting etc as I use others apps for that .But I appreciate If it allows me to white label it.
And using "Single sign on " modules like RPXNOW etc are more helpful to us which gives a superb functionality to users and makes our network different from the sites based on other scripts:)

The hosted applications are more better If we don't have permission to remove Oxwall's branding on our networks :)
The Forum post is edited by Asshu Aug 20 '10
shpedro
shpedro Aug 20 '10
The thing about oxwall is that is based on open source.

And if we work together we can help people to have a lucrative "social site".

So lets invest time in oxwall and make this a great tool.
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 20 '10
The interface to be honest is a little basic. I have used other sites and the functionality for back end maintenance etc it fab. It will only be time before the brainboxes come up with admin plugins etc for the site.

Fingers crossed
Asshu
Asshu Aug 20 '10
It is some thing hard to pay for the modules like forums .Some plugins might be sell .But there are many a social networking softwares and SaaS or hosted platforms available free of cost .We need to remember that paying for the simple modules is difficult .
Who looks at Oxwall if one has to pay even for simple modules and one still have to show Oxwall's branding on his site when there are plenty of social networking platforms and CMSs with social networkin modules available?
If Oxwall really need funds ...Oxwall can develop more themes and lot plugins and sell them as premium.Until then my opinion is we should not have restrictions using modules and white labeling :)
The Forum post is edited by Asshu Aug 20 '10
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 21 '10
Joomla, wordpress, E107, phpnuke... All of them have some kind of branding.
Some "free" themes etc for those sites still have conditions that you cannot edit the theme to remove any branding etc. In oxwall, I am pretty sure you can remove the info in the theme css...

There are paid and free plugins for all sites. The ox forum one integrates well.
To get another forum to integrate you first need a bridge to negate logging into both forums. An Iframe (or whatever) to insert the site within oxwall and another plugin to have a forums activity stream. Then you have to maintain both sites.
The oxwall forum plugin does all this. and it is contained in one site. It is a functioning plugin. If you buy the plugin, and to be honest it isn't expensive, then the dev team will develop it to become more feature rich.

To get oxwall off the ground I think the paid features are a hinderance, especially since there is a large amount of ning refugees out there and in the recent past, it was the ning converts that jumped all over the internet to find a new home. Lots endedup in wackwall.

In the future I want to see a wysiwyg editor rich in features you see in established sites, an abilty to insert photos into the post, a download section and a more detailed admin section where backups can be scheduled etc!

it is early days. My users are largely happy at the moment with the plugin.

Many social networking softwares? Free? I found it hard to find anything as usable as oxwall.
I was tempted into wordpress and buddypress. To be honest, probably better but needs more setting up, yeah it is established but wackwall saved me from the ning disaster, oxwall was released, I didnt want members to be messed about.
Ox is simple to use, I have had no issues with it...
Asshu
Asshu Aug 22 '10
We can white label the wordpress and joomla too.

Ashok Leader
Ashok Sep 24 '10
I disagree with your words "Some "free" themes etc for those sites still have conditions that you cannot edit the theme to remove any branding etc."

Most of the themes comes with GPL license and we can edit them .If the have limitation not to edit the branding .Then we need not use them .We have that option :) And many Techs oppose these themes which have restrictions .