We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Radio Weather Station | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Martina Perez
Martina Perez Jul 14 '23
I've been thinking about building a remote weather station for our club's RC field ever since I learned about the Automated Packet Reporting System (APRS) while studing for my HAM Amateur radio license.

However, it's been very difficult with my limited HAM experience to figure out how to tackle this project until I found out that a nearby RC club has a weather station up and running using this technology! They even have the data piped into their club website so anyone can check out the current and historical wind and temperature data lcaa.org/weather

Knowing that RC people are the most helpful people around, I reached out to their club leadership & HAMs and within a couple of days they had sent me diagrams, parts lists, plenty of feedback on my own ideas, and generally been extremely helpful getting this HAM noob pointed in the right direction!

I've prepared the bones of the plan for club vote next week, and with funding approval will proceed with the build over the next several weeks.

Norman Fallan
Norman Fallan Jul 14 '23
This system will, using HAM radio broadcasts, broadcast out to different towers, where, hopefully, someone will pick up the signal and then feed it into the Internet for you?
Elijah Black
Elijah Black Jul 14 '23
It's fantastic that you found a nearby RC club that already has a weather station using this technology. Their expertise and support will be invaluable in helping you navigate this project. The fact that they have the data integrated into their club website is impressive and will provide a valuable resource for everyone. If you're looking for additional weather data sources, you might consider checking out World Weather. They provide detailed weather information, forecasts, and historical data that can enhance the accuracy and reliability of your weather station.