We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

oxwall banned from several hosting companies | Forum

Mike
Mike Jan 24 '13
The First site suspension came from so called a DOS attack from china.

I got the oxwall site and all the plugins i wanted configured. i invited 2 friends and my brother to come by and check out the site. everything looked great.

added google analytic s to track hits and page views.

I went to work proud to have the site up and running. I get to work. try to login. and was greeted with Site suspended please contact bla bla bla number.

i host 12 sites on this host. never had any issues. before contacting them I looked at thier ToS and saw nothing related to this issue. so i called the number provided. they blamed it on unusually heavy traffic from china.

this is shared hosting. not a dedicated server

i moved the domain to another server but i did not try to install anything there yet.

then i remembered google, went there checked the stats and saw a total of 9 page views with 3 unique views.

my question, do shared hosting sites frown on this kinda site? but try to hide it under other issues?

if so, is there a solution.
cit27
cit27 Jan 24 '13
are u using unlimited share hosting?
but the reality not unlimited
suresh kumar
suresh kumar Jan 24 '13
i use a shared hosting its really good .. hadnt had any problems i can use 8% cpu .. never had downtimes
Purusothaman Ramanujam
One of my client account was suspended as there was more than 300 email notifications for few hours due to some reasonable members activity. Emails were keepon being sent and it cause the hosting provider to think them as spam. After clarification that they are valid emails, they reactivated the account.
cit27
cit27 Jan 24 '13
will find many reasons if you are using shared hosting for a social networking site ... unless it has been approved by the hosting provider
GT
cit27
cit27 Jan 24 '13
I've also experienced
my oxwall site was suspended after using for 7 months
Andre
Andre Jan 24 '13
My first Oxwall project is hosted on a VPS, (just started) with Arvixe. Hope i won't run into any problems !
Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 30 '13
First and pretty obvious question to the OP - have you installed any antispam plugins?
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Feb 4 '13
the way michael used the phrase OP leads me to believe he is a fan of 4chan! great site  just saying

Joseph Simon
Joseph Simon Apr 15 '13
Quote from Mike The First site suspension came from so called a DOS attack from china.

I got the oxwall site and all the plugins i wanted configured. i invited 2 friends and my brother to come by and check out the site. everything looked great.

added google analytic s to track hits and page views.

I went to work proud to have the site up and running. I get to work. try to login. and was greeted with Site suspended please contact bla bla bla number.

i host 12 sites on this host. never had any issues. before contacting them I looked at thier ToS and saw nothing related to this issue. so i called the number provided. they blamed it on unusually heavy traffic from china.

this is shared hosting. not a dedicated server

i moved the domain to another server but i did not try to install anything there yet.

then i remembered google, went there checked the stats and saw a total of 9 page views with 3 unique views.

my question, do shared hosting sites frown on this kinda site? but try to hide it under other issues?

if so, is there a solution.

could you tell me which hosting provider was it?
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Apr 16 '13
I work very closely to my host and have many sites running on their shared servers. I respond straight away about CPU over usage and activity. I have found out this is due to sending out too many emails over a set amount of time etc.

I have also had problems with cron hungry plugins and found the need to uninstall and delete. IP checking being the most hungry of beasts. A good host should give you a warning about over usage and the necessary actions because of closing down your site.

There are some mean guys out there that would stoop at nothing to get you to buy a dedicated server. To increase their profits. Hungry cron plugins give them the the edge in getting you to buy a dedicated server. Its a greedy world out there folks.