We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Can OXwall do what I want | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
David A
David A Jan 25 '13
Hello all!
I am interested in making a community site for a community theater group.
In short it would provide a place for people to hang out, but also
work/collaborate together. I am trying to figure out if oxwall would work.
I have set it up an I am really happy with how it looks and works.
Had some issues but setting cron up resolved them. Needs and Wants:
I would like to create a private group/section for the
cast, stage crew, directors/choreographers as well as the
volunteers working on publicity and stuff for EACH PRODUCTION.
It would be nice to have a file depository for each of these
groups as well. I found this… http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/361

which I think will work. However, Would like to know more
before Ipurchase it. It would also be nice for each of these
private groups to have a calendar in order to schedule themselves.

Is this possible with oxwall?  I really like the mass e-mail function for OXwall.
I could see setting assigning people to different groups, and
then have administrators able to send out a message to the
entire group. However, it would be nice if a user could do a
mass e-mail to a specific group, without having access to the
entire site as an administrator I talked about having a lot of private spaces. I would be
interested in having an area for everyone to come and interact
on as well.  If there is an alternative you think I should be
considering other than oxwall let me know. I really like oxwall,
and will definitely be using it for something, if not this project,
 but want to have the best solution in place.

Thanks

David A
David A Jan 29 '13
Would really welcome people's input here. I am also poking around to see if I can find someone using it in a similar way.
matt
matt Jan 29 '13
The idea of 'send message to group members' got floated recently and added to 'uservoice' One of the great plugin devs seemed to think it was a good idea - so that feature might well get made.

And yes, Files for groups works well!

Matt
Purusothaman Ramanujam
With custom code changes, you can get what you like to offer to your users.

I started working on "Send Message to Group Members" plugin before and I put it on hold as the sponsor was no longer wanted that as they started to use my free MailChimp plugin.
David A
David A Jan 30 '13
I will look into the Mail Chimp plugin Puru

Thanks Matt.
So here is what I am thinking.  Using groups almost like departments... however that might be alot of groups.   Matt, how many groups do you have on your site?  Do you think it would be a problem to have over 15 groups?

It would also be nice for each group, to have the ability of having a calendar....i see events, but a calendar view would be nice.
matt
matt Jan 30 '13
@ Puru - What do you need from a sponser? I might step up, depending.

@ David - I don't see how many groups would/could cause any problem. Perhaps a large number of groups would need a decent directory page, which one could build.

Re: Calendar view and groups. I agree! I think that group events should be a core feature! As for a calender view. You can take a look at this excellent events fork, which gives a calendar view and other cool features...

https://github.com/brindy/oxwall-events
David A
David A Jan 31 '13
I read many forums post talking about how oxwall does not have a mobile app. It seems to load fine from a smart phone browser. In fact it is really really fast.   Have people had any experience with that?
Alia Team
Alia Feb 1 '13
>>>  I would like to create a private group/section for the
cast, stage crew, directors/choreographers as well as the
volunteers working on publicity and stuff for EACH PRODUCTION.
It would be nice to have a file depository for each of these
groups as well.

Standard Oxwall package can not do everything listed above. But with some tweaks and modifications it is possible. If you will be using Oxwall for this project you will definitely need a developer.

Alia Team
Alia Feb 1 '13
Regarding Oxwall for mobiles. With the 1.5 being released. Mobile App is a next major task we have already started working on.
David A
David A Feb 1 '13
So I just updated  to the latest version of OXWALL on my test site. Now the notifications on the site are not working.  I was wondering  if there was something I needed to do?

Thanks Aliia.  I think there are ways to make it work for now....this is a community theater site, so people can make do for a little while.  Community theater is not a money making thing, so it is hard to invest in a developer.

I am wondering if it would be possible to have 3 different profile templates for people joining the site. Thought I saw a plug-in that did that.... but I am not seeing it now.

Alia Team
Alia Feb 4 '13
>>So I just updated  to the latest version of OXWALL on my test site. Now the notifications on the site are not working.  I was wondering  if there was something I needed to do?

If you are referring to the email notifications and if you have updated from 1.4 to 1.5.0/1.5.1, then users will receive email notifications only if they have not been loged in on your site for 2 days. Instead they will be getting "Real Time Notifications": user logs in and in top right corner he/she will see notifications ( if any). Many Oxwall users have reported that it is not really a good solutions, so within one of the next releases we will change the way this feature works, so that users get both real time and email notifications.

>>I am wondering if it would be possible to have 3 different profile templates for people joining the site.

It is possible.
The easiest way, as I personally see this, is just using 4 Oxwall installations. So let's say:
1st domain name will be theater.com - and will be a general landing page with all kind of links.
2d domain name will be actors.com - the link to this place will be located somewhere on the theater.com. For example a link called "Actors register and join community of actors here".
3rd domain name will be producers.com - and the link to this place will also be located somewhere on the theater.com  site.
4thdomain name will be stagecrew.com...and etc.

This way you will be able to customize each installation in accordance to the needs of the people who will be using it. You will be able to use different templates, create different groups and add sepcific content. At the same time you will have one general landing page theater.com.

>>Thought I saw a plug-in that did that.... but I am not seeing it now.

Unfortunately I am not aware of this kind of plugin.

David A
David A Feb 5 '13
Hmm, Aliia That is are really good idea.  I was seeing if I could do the same thing with Groups, but your solution would mean i would be assured those groups/departments were completely separate.   However, the nice thing with using the groups is that all the people from these different departments could be social with one another in the general area.   Helps build community.  I am assuming it would not be possible to link these separate installations (actors, theater etc)  somehow.

Thank you and everyone for thier help and guidance. Loving the oxwall community!
David A
David A Feb 5 '13
I just discovered that that it looks like you can have different types of memberships. It looks like you can specify the profile questions you want offered based on the type on the membership type. That is all I was interested in doing... wanted to ask actors different questions than set crew