We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

New to smoking and I appear to be really good at making leather | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Alex
Alex Aug 21 '23
tl;dr - HELP ME! Instead of making delicious food for my family, I'm making leather!

I'm a complete newbie to this. Grabbed at RT-700 last month. So far, I've smoked chicken thighs, chicken breasts, pork loin and brats. In each case, the outside of the food is encased in a tough, leather like coating.

For example, last night I did up some Johnsonville brats. Put the Bull on Extreme Smoke and smoked the brats for :30 minutes and then turned up the heat to 275 to finish them at 160F. Brought them to the kitchen for the kiddos and they had that wonderful "snap" but upon chewing them, there were parts that were just impossible to chew and swallow. Like chewing leather.

Another example, smoked some chicken thighs. Again turned out with a tough outer layer. Here's what I did on the thighs:

1. Heat to 225
2. S&P 50/50 mix (kosher salt & course ground 16 mesh black pepper)
3. Skin side down until 150 internal temp
4. At 150 glaze chicken with BBQ sauce (meat side only) and crank temp to 300
5. Pull at 165 internal temp
Doral Bares
Doral Bares Aug 21 '23
Try skipping the extreme smoke mode/ low temp and kick the heat up from start to finish. Every one of the foods you mentioned I personally would cook hotter and faster, 275* or more. I know others here get good results with low temps on the leaner meats, but I save the 250* and under temps for ribs, butts, briskets, etc.

Unrelated to the leather skin question, I take chicken thighs to 175-180*. Unlike the breasts, they are better at that temp and won’t be dried out.
Emily Blake
Emily Blake Aug 21 '23

It sounds like you're experiencing a common issue with the smoker, which is forming a leathery outer layer. From my personal experience, the key to avoiding this is to maintain proper moisture and not over-smoke. Try spritzing with apple juice or broth and keep a closer eye on the cooking time. 

Funny that you mention leather, because it's actually my favorite material! I love the durability and unique texture it offers in various products. Leather's toughness might not be great in your smoked meats, but it's perfect for bags, jackets, and other accessories. If you ever want to understand more about leather grades, you can read more about leather in this article from https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/leather-grades/. Good luck with your next smoking session, and I hope this helps!
The Forum post is edited by Emily Blake Aug 21 '23