We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

A special type of spammers | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Tester
Tester Feb 5 '13
They join my site using the same Avatar picture.

If I delete/block one, he/she re-joins in a couple of days, using the same profile pic. But the strangest thing is that they never spam, never post anything at all. So I wonder what are they doing on our site -- preparing for a big attack?

The Forum post is edited by Tester Feb 5 '13
cit27
cit27 Feb 5 '13
try to activate the antispammer...
Tester
Tester Feb 5 '13
Oops! I had it in my previous installation, but forgot to add it to the new one.

Just added. Thanks, buddy. But spammers who don't spam baffles me.

The Forum post is edited by Tester Feb 5 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam
They all have the same avatar image which is pretty boring to see.
Tester
Tester Feb 5 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam: hahaha :)
joke apart, yesterday night I myself was deemed a special spammer.
I was allowed to login at this forum, but was unable to use the site.
The following message was spalashed at me:

"SPAM alert

Our protection system identified your session as a SPAM attempt. If this is an error, you should contact StopForumSpam and ask them to remove your IP from their database."

The same thing happened to me at my own site too! -- about the same time.
As admin I had no problem, but one of my aliases got the same Spam alert verbatim.

I suspect these two incidents are interrelated somehow.
The Forum post is edited by Tester Feb 6 '13
Tester
Tester Feb 5 '13
Latest. Just saw the same complaints at wall.fm in a forum topic, which Margareth (an amzing person) has concluded with the following lines:

Dec 24 '12

Guys,
We've turned the StopForumSpam anti-spam system. Now you should not get faced with the SPAM alert page.
Sorry for the inconveniences.

Does Oxwall still use the StopForumSpam anti-spam system?

The Forum post is edited by Tester Feb 6 '13
Tester
Tester Feb 11 '13
A very serious question unanswered.

My oxwall install is running from my only server.

My members complain that they get the following error:

Seems we've detected you as a spammer Please contact the site administration to avoid this issue and help us to improve anti spam policy.

I myself was deemed a spammer at a site where I use an alias (mentioned above).

This is going beyond the limit.

cit27
cit27 Feb 11 '13

Quote from Tester Does Oxwall still use the StopForumSpam anti-spam system?

Dont know the oxwall site...but if u activated the watchdog plug in....yes Note: Plugin takes spam IPs database from www.stopforumspam.com and updates it once a day.

or if you activated the anti spammer plugin ->  StopSpamForum Checking -> turn on
The Forum post is edited by cit27 Feb 11 '13
Tester
Tester Feb 11 '13
StopSpamForum is the biggest evil. The other day it stopped me from entering not only this site but also my own site. Now my site's members whom I know personally are regraded as spammers.
The Forum post is edited by Tester Feb 11 '13
SL
SL Feb 11 '13
StopSpamForum is the biggest evil for Spammers.. maybe your users are taking action spammers on other sites that are reported as a spammer
The Forum post is edited by SL Feb 11 '13
bobbi
bobbi Feb 11 '13
stopspamforum has blocked my phone in the past, a heated twitter conversation finally got it unblocked again and again as the ip is dynamic,  one of our mods was blocked as well plus some members,

spammers still get past stopspamforum while genuine users get blocked out, this has nearly cost us members as they are not happy to be classed as a spammer,  so  for our site stopspamforum is the biggest evil to our members,

yes i understand that no antispam will work 100% but when you have message after message from irate members complaining that they cannot access your site then maybe you will understand why some are not happy

Michael
Michael Feb 11 '13
I cant use it, it blocks to many genuine users. I was also classed as a spammer on oxwall and when we did run it on our own site it was murder. I was blocked and LOADS of our users were to.
Unique
Unique Feb 11 '13
Simply by Do Not spam others websites who activated the stopspamforum (such as bad comment, etc) so you are not be reported as a spammer. Do not send email to someone who you do not know so your email not be reported as email spammer..
NOTE: I found a lot of great sites that have a community site features enable stopspamforum or use their own unique antispammer
The Forum post is edited by Unique Feb 11 '13
bobbi
bobbi Feb 11 '13
but unique, we just dont spam other sites, i can just about get oxwall sites to load on my phone, commenting is out of the question with my phone as logging in is near impossible lol, stopforumspam needs to realise mobile phones and/or dynamic ips are not all bad but that will never happen

so unique on your own site do you never contribute by commenting, adding posts etc is this the only way on oxwall sites not to be classed as a spammer just do nothing? if so why have a site or why join one

Unique
Unique Feb 11 '13
I'm not so sure about this, as I know the ways of stopspamforum works if your email / ip reported by someone then, your IP / Your email is listed as a spammer...and this cause you can not register / join on a site that uses a spam database of stopforumspam
Sorry my english..
bobbi
bobbi Feb 11 '13
your english is fine unique, that is how stopforumspam should work you are right there

but it seems it does not work the way it should
Unique
Unique Feb 11 '13
may be...because...stopforumspam is only a scripts or mechine....can make mistakes...
very nice if we can make it our own so that we can arrange
The Forum post is edited by Unique Feb 11 '13
Tester
Tester Feb 12 '13

Quote from Michael stopforumspam

same here. 
Pages: 1 2 »