We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Any Classes/Methods Documentation?? | Forum

Pingz
Pingz Feb 6 '13
Hi, 

I'm new with Oxwall, and found it good for building my community. And now I'm looking for the documentation about the methods and classes that I can use for development. I followed the crash course and I think that those methods are not all of them.

Could you tell me where can I find them?

Thanks.

The Forum post is edited by Pingz Feb 6 '13
Michael I.
Michael I. Feb 8 '13
For now we're working on providing developers with sufficient documentation, but it may take some time to complete this project.
DavidZenry
DavidZenry Apr 2 '13
Any news on this? It almost feels as if Oxwall is a closed project only a select few are able to develop for since there is hardly any documentation that enables development. The "Crash Course" is terribly limited.

I am fine with plain old PHP but fairly new to the whole "Mode View Controller" framework ideology, it is quite difficult to fully understand at first, as this guy blogs about - http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2008/05/understanding-model-view-controller.html

Michael I.
Michael I. Apr 3 '13
Creating documentation for Oxwall is not a month or two, it requires way much more time and effort and we're working on it.
Plinfut
Plinfut Jan 15 '15
Is there any update to this? I see you have been working on it for almost 2 years now and the front page does promise that developing plugins is child's play with all the documentation. But I don't get further than an explanation of the general development process in the crash course and some examples. Is there any way I can learn about the possibilities in general?
The Forum post is edited by Plinfut Jan 15 '15
Oxwall Tips
Oxwall Tips Jan 15 '15
Plifut, Oxwall created a plugin for developers called Skeleton. You might want to check it out.
The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Tips Jan 15 '15
Plinfut
Plinfut Jan 16 '15
Thank you for that hint. I've installed it, but that too only gives a few pointers and no extensive documentation. Is there no complete overview of available classes and methods with proper documentation of their purpose?
Mohammad
Mohammad Jan 19 '15
Platform itself offers much more features than the plugin, it is not documented, but code is well destructed

But there are questions I did not found an answer yet ! and support just.....not useful 

Daisy Team
Daisy Jan 22 '15
Plinfut, you can find all documentation we have for now here: http://docs.oxwall.org/dev:index

If this documentation does not answer your questions, please ask your questions and we will do our best to provide you with all necessary information.
wannabe
wannabe Jul 6 '15
This is just plain ridiculous. I don't want to come back to the forum with every question I might have about a method. Plus it is stagnating the development, I ask a question and have to wait for an answer..... ridiculous

How do you people keep track of it yourself?

Michael I in post 4 mentioned in 2013 that you are working on it, now two years later what has been realized? When will there be documentation ready?

Shayne
Shayne Aug 9 '15
Being from a PHP/MySql background for the past 10+ years and just have moved a site from being custom coded to Oxwall - I too find the documentation and the skeleton not even worth it when trying to make a plugin, and thats just for a simple plugin.

For instance, I have been looking around for the past 4 days on how to write a simple plugin to show some rows from a table.  In php it would take me around 5 mins to write all the code and have it online, Oxwall - well Im starting to regret it and alot of others are too.  Its the worst documentation I have seen - I have seen worst products that oxwall have outstanding documentation.

In the crash course all you show is a couple of lines like "we will then add this in this file" and then a block of code...  Ok, what does the block of code do, or even better what does each line do or reference!/  Changing from one file to another trying to see where things match up - its practically costing money and a headache and customers are getting a little annoyed that they can not see their data.

Part of a successfull product is 1) the support and 2) the documentation. 

It sounds like even tho you are listening to users, you are not interested in having more people make plugins which in turn will expand oxwall.  

If someone asks me if they recommend a system, I sure won't be suggestion oxwall not one bit.