We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

[?]Cron job question on Microsft server | Forum

Max
Max Feb 11 '13
Hello all,

I have a computer on a Microsoft server 2012. I use Xampp (an easy php/my sql combo). Oxwall 1.5.1 New install on my private local network and all is working.

Now the question : What about the Cron job ? The doc say this :

To have your site working properly you have to create a cron job to run ow_cron/run.php every minute (http://docs.oxwall.org/install:cron)

Ok it's not a linux server, wget/lynx/curl is not my world. So i use this in a .bat file :

C:\>start c:\xampp\php\php.exe C:\xampp\htdocs\social\ow_cron\run.php

It open a black cmd windows and after that nothing special. Is it working or not? How can i check if it's ok ? In the doc, i can see some blabla about ssh login, what is this ? I read the doc but it won't reply to my questions.

Thx in advance for your help
cit27
cit27 Feb 11 '13
Cron Job? is the time-based job scheduler in Unix-like computer operating system. Cron enables users to schedule jobs (commands or shell scripts to run periodically at certain times or dates. It is commonly used to automate system maintenance or administration, though its general-purpose nature means that it can be used for other purposes, such as connecting to the internet and downloading email.

to run ow_cron/run.php every minute? To get the best effect of your cron job, you need to run it in every minute. but in some shared hosting only allow every 10 or 15 minute..(Note:if the setting is correct, then even 10 minutes, usually cron job will still work)

Simple checks?
->If the user logs out but the site is shown as signed in /users/online, it means, the cron job setting is not working

Advanced Checks? ....