We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Can I put a Turtle with Axolotls? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
idayrare corded
idayrare corded Nov 8 '23
Hello, this may seem like a silly question to most of you and before just thinking NO could I ask you just to consider this for a moment.....
I have seen an extremely beautiful Diamond Back turtle that I would love to have, they don’t grow very big so I was wondering if it’s at all possible to keep him/her with axolotls? Provided of course the tank was suitable. It currently lives in a tank with frogs 2 other turtles and lots of guppies, which it doesn’t each, so assuming that the axolotls can’t eat or hurt the turtle and assuming the turtle won’t try to eat the axolotls because it doesn’t the guppies, could I keep them together?
Has anyone ever done this before?
Thanks for listening xxx
Claudette Leanna
Claudette Leanna Nov 8 '23
I'm going to have to say no, you cannot keep your axolotls with a turtle. I'm not sure of the temperature requirements of the turtle but I would imagine they are significantly higher than those required for an axolotl. If you wanted to keep the turtle at appropriate temperatures the water temperature would stress out the axolotls and vice versa. It is also a bad idea to make assumptions on if the turtle or axolotl will attempt to injure the other. Situations and behavioral responses can change quickly based upon cues we do not understand. The turtle that is a "community" animal right now could easily shift and become aggressive towards his tank mates.
Alex Baroness
Alex Baroness Nov 8 '23
Hey, not a silly question at all! It's always great to explore possibilities when it comes to keeping unique pets together. It's crucial to consider the compatibility of species, so your concern is entirely valid. In this case, I'd recommend being cautious because turtles and axolotls have different care requirements and potential issues. The size of the tank and their individual needs play a significant role in this. Before proceeding, it might be best to seek advice from experienced reptile and amphibian keepers on a forum like https://www.tortoiseowner.com/best-tortoises-species-pets/. They can provide valuable insights and share their experiences.
The Forum post is edited by Alex Baroness Nov 8 '23