We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to fight SPAM bots? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Anders
Anders Feb 18 '13
Hi!

I installed Oxwall 2 weeks ago to try it out. I've activated the Watchdog plugin, and it claims to stop around 50 spams a day, so it seems to be working. But it still allowed over 120 spam bots to register on my site (almost 10 every day). So the filter doesn't solve my problem and I need to find some other way.

Is there any way to add a verification question. Like "What is the color of water?" and require a correct answer before anyone is allowed to register?

Maybe there are other anti-spam plugins that I haven't found?

Other ideas?

Anders
Anders Feb 21 '13
Thank you! This was exactly what I needed :)

I installed the anti spammer plugin and the site is now spam free. 

Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 22 '13
What we really need is Oxwall to close the flaw that allows all Oxwall sites to be found very quickly by any spamming agent. That is simply to remove the tool tip title of the branding "Powered by Oxwall Community Software"

Basically the software as it is lays open all new Oxwall sites to spamming agents.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Using IP blocking software can cause CPU overuse the simple way to cut our spam is to add 2 or 3 required questions to your profile questions. I have wrote similar software that spam agents use but to register users on search engines. Its basically the same principle by creating a template. What search engines used to do is change their profile questions so they could control registration. So then search registration programmers simply created a list of search engines that needed to have submissions done manually.

Spammers do not like to go back and answer questions manually especially if its more than one.

Then there is the problem using IP blocking spam software is that whole IPS get blocked out this is very annoying to prospect members to your site. Even to members belonging to your site because many of them could be blocked out. Having to inform you, you then have to put them on a white list. This means spammers from that IPS address can spam your site.

Basically Oxwall needs to remove the title so Oxwall sites can not be found easily.

Then its only one bot thats really causing the trouble at the moment our old friend the default avatar spammer. I am trying to find out the source at the moment and reporting all the advertiser of this bot to their hosting providers.        
The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 22 '13
Bob (Coder Whacker)
This does not mean the branding as that is totally OK.
Michael
Michael Feb 23 '13
I agree with BOB, something needs to be done as my time is now being eaten up by spammers. We have over 14k users with around 250-300 new users signing up daily. We need something done about it otherwise our reputation will go right down.

No one wants to be apart of a site filled with spam, and the stopforumspam plugins don't really cut it as it blocks ALOT of genuine users.

Pete
Pete Feb 23 '13
Most othere free open source also have there branding.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 23 '13

Quote from Pete Most othere free open source also have there branding.

But they are not being targeted by the default avatar spamming agent. I have already checked that out.

What we are talking about is Oxwall and its problems and of course one single bot that is causing the problems. This bot can be stopped and it does not take a rocket scientist or any form of sophisticated software to stop its operation flat.

Just two methods.

1. Stop the agent from finding all Oxwall sites

2. Change the default profile questions by adding 2 or 3 new questions and making 2 at least required.

The bot programmer then is faced with a template problem as his bot will not be able to register any of the advertisers. This works on my site Code Whacker and many others that have been spam free for some months now.

Its very simple not complicate one bit. 

Just try out the number two method and you will see that it works as they say the proof is in the pudding.

The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 23 '13
Michael
Michael Feb 23 '13
@Bob our spam bots make it through registration and we have unique questions as well as adding required ones.

This bot seems to only create groups promoting cash loans and crap like that, when you visit the group it appears in a iframe so I'm not sure what they have done or how they are doing it.

We have never had an issue with bots and the default avatar
SL
SL Feb 23 '13

Quote from Bob (Coder Whacker) the simple way to cut our spam is to add 2 or 3 required questions to your profile questions

This method is still able to be penetrated by spammers... We need an additional good security....something what the user said below:
Quote from Anders Thank you! This was exactly what I needed :) I installed the anti spammer plugin and the site is now spam free.

Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 24 '13
it is and that's exactly why Code Whacker has been spam free for 11 months now. The proof is in the pudding. As I keep on saying try my method and it certainly does work.  

Its all about the bots templates, nothing hard for any good program analyst to understand.  Nothing else is needed and IP checking has so many problems it always has.

No need of any more security but there are a few other simple things that can be done and that's what I a working on now.

IP blocking is old hat I was playing around with this 2 years ago amongst much more advance stuff such as blocking mac addresses, that had problems too. 

Bob (Coder Whacker)
Micheal at least two of your extra questions should be required at registering. Its no good having questions that are not required as the spamming agent will just carry on and register anyway with no block to the registration.

I have a further recommendation to Oxwall to really make it impossible for any bot spammer programer to make a default template. To auto fill the fields with data. Its pretty simple too.   

Bob (Coder Whacker)
Let me explain why it is difficult for the spam agent: to post data to a new required data field, that is simply because the field is given the name let say f268c857037e037ec36747ca17d8937e automatically by the Oxwall software. This makes it totally difficult for the spam bot programmer. 

Now any programmer or program analyst with some common sense and experience can see why my system works. It really does.

If the questions differ on each and every site the problem for the spam bot programmer gets worse.

Michael
Michael Feb 24 '13
All our questions are required except for the "referred by" field for obvious reasons, we also use the human verification captcha process and require users to upload a profile photo (along with our own custom required fields. I agree ip checking/blocking (for spam purposes) is pointless to an extent as eventually you will be using up your resources checking every incoming connection. The chances are some of the ips will never be used by spammers again and were just assigned to the wrong person at the wrong time i.e a dynamic ip by an isp.

We only block ips that attack our server and that is done using a free and highly recommended software firewall called csf, even then the blocked ips expire after a set time.  People try and attack us using the most basic method i.e ddos (dos denial of service) but without our firewall and its ip blocking feature we wouldnt be here.

SL
SL Feb 24 '13
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/9010?page=1#post-45267
Quote from Unique I v tried to buy auto posting software to thousands of classified sites and use it without sign in/register to those sites.(Jjust Using it in online PC)

What the unique of this script?
*can by pass registering procces
*can by pass captcha key
*Automatic create a new username with the site default avatar or use the sender avatar if *possible to thousands site
*Post the article to available place or category of the sites if possible

Processing:
 it took more than i hours to send a post to more than
thousands of classified sites.
The script reports the total number of sites that were successfully sent or not.

What the relation of this?
I think the spam robot to oxwall also do the same thing but with different script
Gtranslated

Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 25 '13
At present its only one bot the default avatar spammer that is the problem some sites will be attacked by manual advertising spammer.  But lets get out of the tech mode, lets not try to lose the none technical minded. Basically my system works, there should be no argument at that. Those that uses it will see the proof in the pudding.

It simple and easy to impose it certainly does work, its been totally tested and that is the truth. That's all oxwall developers need to know

The system does stop all bots     

The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 25 '13