We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Installing Oxwall Scrip questions | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
David A
David A Mar 1 '13

Installing script questions:

1)      Is there any benefit to installing oxwall to a folder on your domain, vs just your domain

Ie www.yoursite.com  vs www.yoursite.com/oxwall

2)      I use shared hosting. I have several domains and am about to purchase one to install oxwall in. I have been testing oxwall on another one of my shared hosting domains. Is there any issue having more than one installation of oxwall on the same shared domain? It would be nice to keep the testing site around.

3)      Is it possible to change the like button to say something else?  Like “cheers” when you click on it?

4)      I see most people have the menu options along the top of the page. (Main, dashboard, groups, forum) Is it possible to have them along the side?

5)      Is there any way to add pages to each group?  Or that only certain roles can see?

6)      If someone has been blogging and I deactivate blogs, then reactivate it, well they lose all that they have written?

7)      Stupid question… some of the folks here on the forum have the badge “team”  etc on their profile photo. Is that done by having it on the picture or does oxwall script add it to the photo based on role or user type?

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Ideally, there should be no issues on having multiple installation or domain in a shared hosting if your hosting account support add-on domain hosting.

All your requirements can be done via custom code changes.

For the last question, nothing is stupid when you are learning something new. So feel free.

The label is based on the role. You can assign a label to each role and make them displayed.
Alia Team
Alia Mar 4 '13

David,

>>Is there any issue having more than one installation of oxwall on the same shared domain?

There should not be any issues. As mentioned by Purus, everything can be done via custom code modification.

Regarding blogs, data will be lost ONLY if you delete the plugin. Active/deactivate- doesn't cause data lose.

Regarding badges, here is where this is done http://docs.oxwall.org/user-manual:users:user-roles

3it 

6)    I

David A
David A Mar 4 '13
Thanks..I really appreciate all the help...
I purchased on to back up the site
Is there a plugin or way to back up/export people/s profiles?
Alia Team
Alia Mar 6 '13
You are welcome.

>>Is there a plugin or way to back up/export people/s profiles?

There are two plugins to export/import ALL site data. Search for "Data Importer" and "Data Exporter" plugins in the Store.
David A
David A Mar 6 '13
thank you
Alia Team
Alia Mar 6 '13
Welcome