We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Verification Email Wont Send | Forum

Michael
Michael Mar 2 '13
I created a test account and turned on email verification, the page appears which allows the user to send the verification email. This email doesnt arrive. It doesnt work with or without the smtp settings. Cron is working fine and when we entered our smtp it said it could connect.

I sent a email out manually and that instantly delivered.

Any help or ideas as we would like to use the email verification feature :)
Tester
Tester Mar 3 '13
For some reason, e-mail verification to some sites won't be delivered.
That's why I rejected the option and using Moderator approval instead.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
who's your host Michael?
Michael
Michael Mar 3 '13
Hi Guys,

My Host is HostGator

We need email verification for several reasons, the main two are keeping the quality of our data high and to stop our server from sending emails to bogus addresses.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
I can not see there should be a problem if the cron is set properly

/usr/bin/php /home/useraccount/public_html/ow_cron/run.php  (make sure there is a space after /usr/bin/php)

And your site email is admin@yoursite.com

Seems to be compatible with Oxwall

If every thing is setup properly and verification of emails does not work it would be a good idea talk to the hosts admin  

see http://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/email/how-to-log-into-webmail

The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Mar 3 '13
Pete
Pete Mar 3 '13

What php is your webhost useing ? if its php5 do it like this

/usr/bin/php5 /home/useraccount/public_html/ow_cron/run.php

set your cron every 5 mins or your webhost my ban you as it will look like your spaming

The Forum post is edited by Pete Mar 3 '13
Michael
Michael Mar 3 '13
Our site email address is support@kikcommunity.com, we entered this on the main settings page BUT the window that appears and says click send to send yourself a verification code displays a different address. It says please make sure you white list me@michaelxxxxx.co.uk. Where would it be getting this address from? Could this be a possible issue with why there not sending?

Michael
Michael Mar 3 '13
It did work briefly just now but I dont know if it was the php5 part added to cron, the restart of our mailserver or using smtp settings within oxwall. Either way using various ways it appears to have stopped again.
Michael
Michael Mar 3 '13
I cant see any queued mails on the server and no bounce back emails are coming through to the domains email address.
Pete
Pete Mar 3 '13

Quote from Michael
Our site email address is support@kikcommunity.com, we entered this on the main settings page BUT the window that appears and says click send to send yourself a verification code displays a different address. It says please make sure you white list me@michaelxxxxx.co.uk. Where would it be getting this address from? Could this be a possible issue with why there not sending?

Thats strange you must have the wrong email set up in your oxwall admin
Michael
Michael Mar 3 '13
Just confirming by adding the php5 to my cron command it stopped it from working. I will get to the bottom of this one way or another lol
Bob (Coder Whacker)

Quote from Pete Our site email address is support@kikcommunity.com, we entered this on the main settings page BUT the window that appears and says click send to send yourself a verification code displays a different address. It says please make sure you white list me@michaelxxxxx.co.uk. Where would it be getting this address from? Could this be a possible issue with why there not sending?

That is the issue, for sure could this be to do with a spam checking plugin?

Michael
Michael Mar 4 '13
We have used the spam plugins in the past but literally only for a matter of minutes before removing them.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
I signed in to your site and signed out then requested to reset my password no email has been received. I think you need to talk to host for some help in this issue.
Michael
Michael Mar 4 '13
Its weird the emails send if I manually write an email and send it to an address, but they dont send when there suppose to be automated i.e forgotten password <- thanks for your test btw bob

Michael
Michael Mar 4 '13
When the server did send out emails briefly i.e yesterday they unfortunately ended up in the junk folder as opposed to inbox. When I manually wrote myself an email and sent it to my hotmail address it ended up in the inbox.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
your welcome and still mulling the problem over
Michael
Michael Mar 5 '13
To start off thank you all for your input, the issue has now been resolved. The issue was to do wit the rate limit set on the domain. Hostgator's default setting is after 5 email failures an hour your mailserver gets locked. Because we haven't used email verification until now some of the users that originally signed up used bogus email addresses so the 5 failure limit was regularly hit. Our email verification system does work now but the emails arrive about 5-6 minutes after request. Cron is set to every 1 minute. At the moment we are receiving a high volume of verification requests so I'm assuming the delay is down to that. Anyway I'm guessing a few more tweaks will have to be done until its perfect, the domain doesnt have any hourly limits but there might be a limit to how many emails it sends out in one go. I'm to tired to mess around with it anymore, its working and thats more than it was doing yesterday :)
Alia Team
Alia Mar 5 '13
Thanks for sharing the cause of this issue.

Alia Team
Alia Mar 5 '13
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Pages: 1 2 »