We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Adding pages questions | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Jack
Jack Mar 5 '13

I can add a page to my website, but there nothing that can be done on that page. I want to add to the menu selections more than one click on for links. Example I want to have a button on my menu for links for painters and I want another button for singers. However when I add a page to the menu I can't get the selection there to click on links.

Tester
Tester Mar 5 '13
Have you tried the External URL option (admin/pages/add/type/main)?
Jack
Jack Mar 5 '13
There is no type...It goes admin pages then under main you can select add item. However your not able to pick past the title what you want the added page to be.
Alia Team
Alia Mar 5 '13
Jack, can you send a screen shot of the page where you get "stucked"?
Jack
Jack Mar 5 '13

Thank you for the quick reply. I really like you website program. Here the screen shots.

Attachments:
  example.doc (782.5Kb)
Tester
Tester Mar 5 '13
Jack I have added pages with menu buttons leading to them.
Let me check. I will get back to you.
Tester
Tester Mar 6 '13
Aliia, Jack :
Something has gone wrong with my installation.
Previously I had a created a page with a menu button.
The method I used was creating a page using Bottom Menu (Manage Pages); save it; and them move the menu button to the main menu.

The External URL was in the format http://site.com/menuItem. One page that I have created this way is still working, but now the method fails. Can't figure out why.
Alia Team
Alia Mar 6 '13
Tester, the new page you are adding has a totally different name and URL?
Alia Team
Alia Mar 6 '13
And by "fails" you mean the page is not being added at all  or you can't drag and drop it to from bottom to main menu?
Tester
Tester Mar 6 '13

Aliia

1. Here is the page I had created successfully: http://findonliners.com/community/guidelines
(note that URL corresponds with the menu-button name)

2. By 'fails', I mean I can't create the page at all. It doesn't work even when it is still a Bottom Menu item. The error message is something like No such document exists.
The Forum post is edited by Tester Mar 6 '13
Jack
Jack Mar 6 '13

The page is being added but your not able to do anything with it. What I was trying to do is add extra pages so I could have more areas for users to add links. If it helps any here the link to the site http://gothitikessentials.com/GothitikArtist

Tester
Tester Mar 6 '13

Jack, why don't you use Forums for the purpose?

You can open a separate section for Links with categories, and add a top menu button to point to the section.

The Forum post is edited by Tester Mar 6 '13
Jack
Jack Mar 6 '13
I will be using the forum as well, but for other reasons. I wanted to have something like this to later use for adds.
Jack
Jack Mar 9 '13
Any more ideas of how I could do this?
Alia Team
Alia Mar 11 '13
Jack
>>Thank you for the quick reply. I really like you website program. Here the screen shots.

Unfortunately you want be able to use standard page created under pages&menus to allow your site users to add links there.  Page with the "add new link" form like one from "Links" plugin requires certain php functions. "Page content" form doesn't support php ( you can insert only html there).

It is much easier to user one of the already existing pages ( like "Links) and add link to that page when creating the new page under Pages&menus.

Alia Team
Alia Mar 11 '13
Tester

>>2. By 'fails', I mean I can't create the page at all. It doesn't work even when it is still a Bottom Menu item. The error message is something like No such document exists.

Can you create a user for me with admin rights so that I can check this issue?
Tester
Tester Mar 11 '13
Thanks, Aliia. I think I muast have overlooked something. It is Ok Now.
Jack
Jack Mar 18 '13
Thanks Eddie that site is blocked from my work. I can not afford to pay someone for code right now. I am going to try and view sources and see if I can work out what I need to get it done.
Alia Team
Alia Mar 18 '13
Jack if you are familiar with html and php you will be able to create custom pages within oxwall. Those pages can have their own functionality.

FAQ on how you can custom external pages to Oxwall: http://docs.oxwall.org/...stom-pages-to-oxwall