We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Yellowing Sterling Silver | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
John
John Mar 14

I poked around for an answer to this but couldn’t find anything so hopefully someone out there can help!

I’m not sure if my picture is attached but it is a sterling silver ring with a sterling silver tapered tube setting that is very discolored after soldering.

Solder: hard silver solder on the band and medium on the setting.

Flux: My-T-Flux (self-pickling flux for gold and silver) from Rio.

Pickle: Rio Pickle (sodium bisulfate) made with tap water.

I rinsed in running tap water, no baking soda bath.

What is causing the yellowing and how do I prevent it? Our water is pretty hard and smells strongly of chlorine but I didn’t used to have these problems.

On a secondary note though I cleaned a bunch of sterling silver items in a pink liquid jewelry cleaner (can’t remember the name) that I use at work with no problems but at home they also had a yellowish cast. For those I dipped and scrubbed with a baby toothbrush then brass brushed them with a soft brass brush and dawn dish detergent.

Could this have anything to do with my tap water?

IMG_8952

Jeremy Blake
Jeremy Blake Mar 14
Have you tried to re-polish it? I have jewelry in a store that also includes a restaurant. I have to clean all of the jewelry in my case every two months because of the cooking gases in the air and road dirt that comes in when the doors open. They do a great job of selling my jewelry, but it is a lot of work keeping it clean…Rob
Rajesh Rajpo
Rajesh Rajpo Mar 14
From what you've described, it seems like the tap water quality could be a factor, especially if it's hard and smells strongly of chlorine. Hard water can leave mineral deposits that might cause discoloration. Maybe try using distilled water for rinsing, or consider using a water filter if possible. Also, double-checking your soldering technique and flux application could help pinpoint the cause.
Speaking of rings, do you guys wear mood rings? I recently checked out www.moodringcolors.com, and now I want to buy one for my girlfriend. Any ideas on the design?
The Forum post is edited by Rajesh Rajpo Mar 14