We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Long Comments Messing Up News Feed | Forum

Hans van Aardt
Hans van Aardt Mar 18 '13
Hi all,

I have searched the posts and found this one.

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/1258

It seems to have died - I want to resurrect it.

The problem is that if a user writes a comment that looks like a University Essay the entire comment appears in the news-feed.  If another user comments on this comment then both appears on the news-feed.  This messes up the news-feed and affects ALL members.  Big problem!

I totally understand that cutting the comment in two might cause problems.  Can we then at least have a setting which limits users to 256 characters in the comments - this will solve the problem.  A twitter like limit is not a bad idea and will prevent users from going Gaga in the comments section.

This limit will also be very useful in group descriptions.  I have people writing 2000 character group descriptions.  I will like to enforce this with a Max Comment and Max Group Description length field.

I think this will become a bigger problem with bigger communities.

Please consider...

Thanks

Alia Team
Alia Mar 18 '13
Hans, currently this can not be fixed.

>> Can we then at least have a setting which limits users to 256 characters in the comments - this will solve the problem.  A twitter like limit is not a bad idea and will prevent users from going Gaga in the comments section.

You can suggest this to UserVoice or you can modify source code yourself. Comments.php and comments_form.php ( ow_system_plugins/base/controllers/ and ow_system_plugins/base/controllers/components) is a good place to start with when doing this modification.