We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Error 500. One possible reason | Forum

Tester
Tester Mar 26 '13

I  came across one reason for the Error 500 problem, which was quite unknown to me. I publish it here to make others wise to the situation.

The other day I got Error 500, but the server was not actually down (for I could work on my Cpanel File manager), and it was not to due any change in plug-in settings. My site is hosted with TMDhosting (shared hosting). I asked them to help me out.

George Moody of TMD not only resolved the problem, but also explained the reason: Actually, it was caused by the fact that your application is using the global /tmp folder to store some temporary files. The tmp folder has a limit of maximum files that can be stored simultaneously and it is usually used for sessions only. As the maximum number was reached the application reported an issue. I have flushed the tmp folder and your website is fully accessible now.

I asked Moody: “Is there any arrangement to flush the tmp folder regularly, and safely?

Moody responded: “As this is a global server folder I have already applied this in case it affects others as well. It will be safely flushed on regular bases. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Maybe you can check with your hosting company to get it confirmed whether your site is taken care of in this respect.

The Forum post is edited by Tester Mar 26 '13
Alia Team
Alia Mar 28 '13
Tester, I am wondering whether this was one of our 500 phtml error? ( the one where you can find the real error through the DEBUG mode). If it was this kind of error, do you remember the exact error message after enabling DEBUG mode?
Alia Team
Alia Mar 28 '13
Thanks for sharing.
Tester
Tester Mar 28 '13
Sorry, Aliia, I really don't remember. If it repeats, I will keep tab on the details.
I only wanted point out a less know reason that may cause error 500.
Users like me, who resort to shared hosting with a Cpanel, now can try whether the server is actually down by trying to access the cPanel. As you put it aptly, I was just sharing an experience. Thanks for responding.
Regards.

The Forum post is edited by Tester Mar 28 '13
Not Responding
Not Responding Nov 19 '22
There could be a number of reasons for an Error 500, but one possible reason is that there is a problem with the server.