We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Need to prevent guests from seeing existing users. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Mar 30 '13
I would prefer not to have my community totally private but anything else allows the general public to view all of the users.

What can I edit to make it so guests cannot view the users?

Thank you!

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Which page or section you wish to hide?
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Mar 30 '13
/users/latest  and 

/users/latest

Also the users appearing on the main page if possible.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
If you want to totally hide the menu for guests, you can do that by admin dashboard.

If only some sections of the page, you can edit the file.

ow_system_plugins\base\controllers\user_list.php
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Mar 30 '13
I can't tell what to change.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Sorry for that. Even I can not tell you exactly unless I spend some time on this.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Mar 30 '13
Anyone else want to provide some clues?
Alia Team
Alia Apr 1 '13
Steve Winter, hiding "Members" link in top menu from guest users can be done in admin panel>>pages&menus>>edit "members">>select" Registers users only".

To restrict guest users from viewing user lists go to Global Privacy>>Roles>> uncheck "search users" and "view profiles" under "Guest column".

Hiding "Users" widget from main page from guest users. This one requires custom code modification.  ow_system_plugins/base/components/users_widget.php  is the file that requires modification. Unfortunately I can not give exact instructions on what needs to be done. Basically you will need to introduce a new variable for loged in users and set "if-else" condition. Requires php knowledge.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Apr 1 '13
Thanks for the clues but I deserve better than me to try to code this.
Unus
Unus Mar 22 '16
Alia, I don't understand the oxwall team position here... what do you mean you can't provide the information; ok, I understand if you can't provide the code, but to explain how oxwall works and how it should be done (in words not in code) it should be a courtesy of the team to explain it. 
Quote from Alia Steve Winter, hiding "Members" link in top menu from guest users can be done in admin panel>>pages&menus>>edit "members">>select" Registers users only".

To restrict guest users from viewing user lists go to Global Privacy>>Roles>> uncheck "search users" and "view profiles" under "Guest column".

Hiding "Users" widget from main page from guest users. This one requires custom code modification.  ow_system_plugins/base/components/users_widget.php  is the file that requires modification. Unfortunately I can not give exact instructions on what needs to be done. Basically you will need to introduce a new variable for loged in users and set "if-else" condition. Requires php knowledge.

ross Team
ross Mar 22 '16
We do not provide assistance with custom code modification or development. 
Unus
Unus Mar 22 '16
Ross, according to this you do provide advice in understanding the oxwall architecture and pointers in the right direction for custom code modifications

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/6082

Unus
Unus Mar 23 '16
Ross the answer you have there contradicts fully what your team explained here http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/6082

So guys make your mind : do you want a community or what else do you want? 

ross Team
ross Mar 23 '16
The best way for you to accomplish this is to create a plugin which creates a new separate page where you can render this widget. 

In the meantime it is not possible to move the widget to a custom page, there's no such functionality within the software. You can render a component only on custom page now, not widgets

Which widget is this anyway? 

The Forum post is edited by ross Mar 23 '16
Unus
Unus Mar 23 '16
the plugin is shoutbox plugin -- but my question goes for any other plugin, cause I assume the answer will be the same for all. 

I want it to have it's own page (not shown on any other additional page, that is not necessary).

I don't mind modifying the code. I just need to know the steps needed to be accomplished to have this plugin show on its own page (either the empty one I created or a new one created from winthin the activate.php or init.php of this plugin).

I looked at the current code for the other plugins (photos, forums) and the code for shoutbox and skeleton plugins. I can't figure out how come the first two can show up on their own page (not the index or profile or dashboard) and what are the skeleton and shoutbox missing so I can add the missing parts which will create for these last two a new page.

Can you help with pointers in the right direction or not?

If you can't than can any other member of the team help out? In the spirit of open community which you claim to nurture. 

Thank you

Unus
Unus Mar 23 '16
and if you answer to this question I have in a way that is actually going to be useful, having the answer here on this topic is the wrong place to have it; anybody looking for this answer in the future will not find it. I think a better place to answer this question is on the question I have asked here:

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/31696

Unus
Unus Mar 23 '16
in any way, if anybody from oxwall team will provide a useful answer (not like what was answered so far on this topic) I promise I will copy it on the relevant threads so in the future will be found by people confronting with the same kind of questions.