We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Understanding Facebook Connect | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
David A
David A Apr 1 '13
So if someone creates an account without facebook connect, and then later rather than entering in their username and password, they click the "sign in with facebook"  does it cause any problems?

As far as I can tell, so long as the e-mail address they have given to faceboook, matches the email they use, they will just sign in. However, if the email addresses do not match, then a new user will be created, so the person would have two accounts...  anyone know anything about this?    If their email matches what facebook has, is there any reason they should not switch back and forth between logging in using facebook connect and using their username and passsword?

Alia Team
Alia Apr 1 '13
David, you are right. As long as email is the same user will have ONE account.

>> is there any reason they should not switch back and forth between logging in using facebook connect and using their username and passsword?

Those two features work well with each other. So user can use both.
Having actual account ( created via regular registration form) is a good idea in case facebook stops working ( like it did a week or two ago) or if you delete FB account.
David A
David A Apr 1 '13
Alright.. that is great to know...

It looks like it is possible for a user to change that email at any point. Is the same true with their real name and their username?

I have not looked into using google plus for people to sign in... i wonder if they can alternate between all three login processes, typical, facebook connect and google sign in?