We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Like but no dislike? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Maxwell
Maxwell May 1 '11
A user on my site asked if there is a system of "likes" and "comments" why can't there be "dislike". I think a heart is the default icon for "like" so for "dislike" why not put a mad face or a rubber chicken?

I think it would be a great idea for people being jerks or people saying mean things. No everyone can be moderated so why not allow the community to do it itself.

Anyways just an idea. I didn't know where to put it but I would kinda like a response of some sort.
Attachments:
  dislike.jpg (322.17Kb)
Crystal
Crystal May 4 '11
This should be addressed with privacy plugin like facebook where members can be blocked and setting can be set that only friends can view your details etc.
Alan
Alan Nov 6 '11
Thank you Maxwell for asking the same question that I had, is there even a dislike button?
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 7 '11
There isnt such a feature yet :(

Suggest it and hopefully we will see it in the future, or contact a freelance developer to create it for you in the market.
http://oxwall.uservoice.com/forums/13756-suggest-ideas
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 7 '11
Facebook users are looking for the same functionality.  It still isn't available.
:o)
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 7 '11
I think it maybe the ol' flame situation and possible bullying aspect with Facebook and other features similar to this.

Michael Leader
Michael Nov 8 '11
troll heaven!
Den Team
Den Nov 8 '11
@ Michael: let's troll a little? :)

Why do you think facebook still didn't add such button? 
May be it's because they afraid to lose user's loyalty? It is more comfortable for most people to see a small amount of likes instead a tons of dislikes on their content. There are only a few percents of users who really generates site's content (posting photo/video and etc). Others just reads and rates it. With dislike option it is easy to force poster double think before posting or may not to post at all. It may became a really problem for popular site. 

P.S. I have a mixed feelings when see amount of dislikes on youtube videos even on the popular videos.

The Forum post is edited by Den Nov 8 '11
Adam Dawtrey
Adam Dawtrey Nov 8 '11

I think this would probably be just as unhelpful as it would be helpful.

It is true that is would serve to give user views on posts they consider irrelevant or "troll" like, but at the same time it would also give the given "trolls" another tool to use at their disgression, as you would have then made it "ok" to do so.

The Forum post is edited by Adam Dawtrey Nov 8 '11
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 8 '11
Id prefer a rating feature throughout the site like the photo one.
Hadi Kamell
Hadi Kamell Nov 8 '11
Quote from Michael :o)

it is so nice smile , Michael.
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 10 '11
No one benefits from negative ratings WITHOUT a backing up as to why a topic/image etc is disliked.  Rating a topic etc will allow for a trend to develop and weed out trolls.

HOWEVER!  Rebecca Black and the troll attack on her "Friday" song in youtube the dislikes on there made her famous!
(I found a cool rock metal version to that song and it is quite listenable.  probably cos it is instrumental for a start)

One point to make...   Make it available and configurable, let the user decide if they want it enabled on their submission of post etc...  Dare to go where facebook wont!  LOL!
"What is a FB poke anyway?  Do we need that in Oxwall?"
The Forum post is edited by Michael Nov 10 '11
Alan
Alan Nov 10 '11
There are 3rd parties out there that added a dislike button to facebook but as usual facebook decided that because THEY didn't create it that they wouldn't allow it >.> Thankfully oxwall allows it's users to do this kind of thing if they are able to create such things. 

There were lots of posts that people wanted to click dislike to not because it was a bad post but because of what ever the post was about in general such as things like "animal cruelty" pics. People would rather dislike that kind of post but they still appreciate what the post is about.

Loads of posts that I have appreciated and not clicked "like" to and the majority of times I usually see under the post (regardless of facebook putting a dislike button or not) "diislike" then the usual complaints about why there is no dislike button lol.

I also totally agree with Michael perhaps the users should have the option of turning a dislike button on or off through admin panel.
The Forum post is edited by Alan Nov 10 '11
Alexis
Alexis Nov 10 '11
I've talked to teenagers doing surveys and they want a button "I do not like" or "dislike" it would be a good idea to add this option button next to the "Like" one.
John
John Apr 5 '14
I dislike the dislike button.