We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Links to New Pages - "Page Does Not Exist" | Forum

Rick K
Rick K Aug 13 '13
So, I take it that placing a folder in the webroot is considered by Oxwall to be an "external" folder and anything residing in that folder is also considered to be external, therefore, in the admin>manage pages window one needs to select "external URL" and use a complete URL to identify the page being linked.
dave Leader
dave Aug 13 '13
lol ok hold on let me test the right format you need, you can use that as your index its nta problem, but i would suggest having a blank index.html in that dir to keep the file index list from showing.  As long as you use that file as your link its ok to use.
dave Leader
dave Aug 13 '13

you dont have to list everything inside, just give access to the main special folder

Rick K
Rick K Aug 13 '13
when i do that, and click on the link "books" which is where that particular page is located...I get "Index.html" and "Parent directory" and "books" below that. When I clicked the books link it took back to Main in Oxwall.
dave Leader
dave Aug 13 '13

sounds to me that you need some work done in side your special files maybe the links are not correct

you know that you can just add a normal page (not external) and use an iframe to include it in that page right.

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 13 '13
Rick K
Rick K Aug 13 '13
My "library" page contains links to other pages. I tried creating "Library" in the page manager but couldn't figure out how to link to the individual pages without an error. Would that be where the "external page" selection comes in?
dave Leader
dave Aug 13 '13
the reason i said that is because you explained that your file had the top of the page and header stuff in it if i remember.  And you dont need to recreate that, oxwall will so that in normal page add and then you just put the html inside using admin. 
dave Leader
dave Aug 13 '13
send me this file apllibrary.html and i will show you   if that is your so called index
The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 13 '13
dave Leader
dave Aug 13 '13

do this as a test...

add page called   testpage    (not external) 

then edit that page and inside the html block just put 

<span>  Hello i am your new page </span>

and save it,  then go to your menu and click that page  you will see the text above

now create a simple html file  called testme.html  and put that in your root, then add that file name in your htaccess where we taked about to give permission.

inside that testme.html put

<html>

<head>

<title>test page</title>

</head>

<body>

<span> Hello i am your new page </span>

</body>

</html>

and save it..

then add a page (not external)  and call it  seemytest   then edit that page and put in the html box 

<iframe src="/testme.html" height="575" width="670"></iframe>

and save it... (notice i put a leading /  it tells the server to start at the root. )

now go to your menu and click on seemytest

whalaaaa.  :)

Rick K
Rick K Aug 13 '13
I see the code I put on the page testme.html
dave Leader
dave Aug 13 '13
so do i, ok ill be on the site in a jiffy. sit tight.. ;0
Alia Team
Alia Aug 13 '13
wow... 33 replies! =)
Have you managed to get things solved?

dave Leader
dave Aug 14 '13

Yes Aliia, it was a combiniation of his htaccess, php ini (he had none), offsetting for horrible hosting setup, and putting the right files where they needed to be.  But we finally got this done. 

We still have a huge issue with his video, even with me replacing his video files.  When he posts a video in the newsfeed he gets a red error banner that says error and nothing posts.  There is nothing in the debug, nothing in the error log.   Other than a 408, the only thing i can gather is that since he is limited to 1mb IO on his plan, and the fact that he did a auto install, that those two have somthing to do with it. Also the script is requiring him to have allow_url_fopen turned On in his php.ini, is that normal i have mine off on my sites.

Any ideas on that one...   if you want to start a new thread i will :)

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 14 '13
Alia Team
Alia Aug 14 '13
I've seen your conversation with Rick and Ross here regarding videos http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/12308 .  So for some time video upload worked in the newsfeed and it is not working again?

Note that we are currently already working on fixing video thumbnails issue within the newsfeed.
So ideally now on Rick's site, after his host changed mod security rules, uploading videos should not cause any issues ( except thumbnails one).

Rick, did you reinstalled the software before or after your host changed your mod security rules?
dave Leader
dave Aug 14 '13

Its the embed video thats not working on the newsfeed he just gets that red error banner.  But embeds work fine from the video page.   I just dont know why the embed does not work at all when it comes to the newsfeed. I cant find anything that is telling me what the error is ya know.

They changed his mod security rules after the install from my knowledge.

here is what happens when we try to embed a vid in the newsfeed.  We get the error banner and then the process indicater on the bottom just sits there and spins and nothing else happens. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 14 '13
Rick K
Rick K Aug 14 '13
Hi Aliia,

I just want to confirm Dave's post that the mod security rules were changed after the re-install.
Alia Team
Alia Aug 14 '13
Debug tools shows 403 forbidden error.

There should be something regarding 403 error and newsfeed URL in the error logs.
I also suggest contacting your host and checking why /newsfeed/ajax/status-update URL is being blocked.
Rick K
Rick K Aug 15 '13
Aliia,

In regard to the newsfeed/ajax/status-update URL being blocked, this is the response I got from GreenGeeks. "The link http://americanpatriotleague.com/newsfeed/ajax/status-update require username/password." Does that truly explain the issue?
dave Leader
dave Aug 15 '13

As far as the newsfeed needing PW that is just nuts, they are probably tallking about the connection to the db and that is taken care of inside te script. But it does not have an issue with other parts of the script.

Here is how this picture is really beginning to look. The hosting world is full of all kinds of servers and and all kinds of config for those servers, some run oxwall and other scripts better than others. And then once in a great while you run accross a server who's config is so out if wack with the script that it drives you nuts. That is what IMO is what is happening here. Either they set up this shared server to run one particular script in the beginning with specialized config and decided to add it to the masses or whatever the reason this server is not liking oxwall at all.

You might be able to have them change you to a different server but i think they way i see that company u might very well run into the same issue.  I wonder if replacing that file would work maybe that file got corrupted for some reason.  

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 15 '13
Alia Team
Alia Aug 15 '13
Rick, may be ( I am not sure) what they meant is that to be able to check the URL and the issue on your site your system asks them to login.

Meaning that may be they need to reproduce the issue, and they can't do this since they have to register and login to be able to reach http://americanpatriotleague.com/newsfeed/ajax/status-update  URL.
Pages: « 1 2 3 »