We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Mass email is sending multiple copies[Solved] | Forum

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 17 '13
Mass email is sending multiple copies at least 3 or 4 this time.  This happened the last time and some received 11 copies.   Oxwall just spams until it hits the 500 hour limit on the server.

I mentioned this before.   I have not messed with the stock Oxwall email config.

The Forum post is edited by ross Oct 22 '14
Alia Team
Alia Aug 19 '13
Steve, we have received this kind of report several times from other users, but were not able to reproduce it.

1. How many user roles do you have on your site?
2. How often your cron runs?
3. Can you check your mail server's email logs?
4. Does this happen to all users? or to the users with certain mail client ( gmail, hotmail. yahoo and etc.)?

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 19 '13
I only have 3 roles set up.  Of those I only use 2 on my mass emailing.  The cron was set to once per minute.   It is sending out multiple emails.  It used to work fine and I have not messed with the email stuff at all.

Regards,

Steve

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 19 '13
I have emailed you some logs provided by the hosting service.
Alia Team
Alia Aug 28 '13
Update: Steve migrated to new host and issue with mass mailing disappeared.
Alberto MC
Alberto MC Oct 20 '13
Hi all! my site is sending hundreds of emails per day and users are complaining, even users who deleted their accounts. The problem does not affect all users. I have 5 user roles in my site and cron runs every minute. I think the problem started when update the plugin Reminder Notifications. I deactivate the plugin and the problem persist. I contacted to the plugin developer and he told me there is a problem with my site cron. Any idea where to start to try find out the problem?
ben
ben Oct 20 '13
the problem is i cant click the free user when change user to other role

maybe this will make oxwall sending multiple copies email
ben
ben Oct 20 '13
one user two role which is free and vip
Alia Team
Alia Oct 21 '13
Pablo,
>>The problem does not affect all users. I have 5 user roles in my site and cron runs every minute. I think the problem started when update the plugin Reminder Notifications. I deactivate the plugin and the problem persist. I contacted to the plugin developer and he told me there is a problem with my site cron. Any idea where to start to try find out the problem?

Have you noticed anything in common in those users who do receive multiple emails?
Check ow_base_mail table of your database. Does it contain any data related to your mass mailing?

Alia Team
Alia Oct 21 '13
>>the problem is i cant click the free user when change user to other role

Not sure that I understood the point.

ben
ben Oct 21 '13
okay, lets say i want to make A as VIP user than i click VIP for A, but I could not make A not as a free member then i submit.

A will have two role which is as free member and VIP member. so email sending twice
Alberto MC
Alberto MC Oct 21 '13
Thanks Aliia. I deleted all rows from ow_base_mail table, Now just wating for news from users.
Alia Team
Alia Oct 22 '13
Ben,

Even if user is assigned to more then one role, he will get only one email. I have tested this a couple of times, just to make sure.

If on your site you are receiving emails twice because you are subscribed to two user roles, I will be glad to check this for you if you can provide needed access details.

ben
ben Oct 23 '13
im not creating any role on my site yet, just testing steve issue on my local pc and can't click the free role. Thank you alia,

Alia Team
Alia Oct 24 '13
Well, yes, you will not be able to click on it.

Here is a little "hack" for those who want to make default user role clickable: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/7897?page=2#post-39324

I wrote this down a while ago and have not tested in 1.5.3. So if somebody finds out that this  no longer works with the latest version of Oxwall, let me know.

Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Sep 29 '14
Suddenly I am having the doubles issue at Mass mailing and invite system,,, and I haven't made any changes, not to crons nor user roles.
ross Team
ross Sep 30 '14
Do you use default invite system in the admin panel or contact importer?

Can you please share your URL? I will register and you'll send a test mass mail? as we cannot reproduce the issue. 

Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Sep 30 '14
I have been testing it using mass mailing from admin panel at: admin/mass-mailing I include my User role as Owner, doubles up each time.

ross Team
ross Sep 30 '14
I will need Cpanel access details and admin details for the website, please PM
ross Team
ross Sep 30 '14
Krunch I could not reproduce the issue on your website, see screenshots in your PM
Pages: 1 2 3 »