We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

OxwallMessenger for iOS - Beta program | Forum

Thomas
Thomas Oct 15 '13
@Kieron If we get somebody onboard that is good with plugin development for Oxwall - yes. ;-) But for now, we are just focusing on getting the first version of OxwallMessenger ready for production.
Thomas
Thomas Oct 17 '13
I received some questions about the branding of the app we are developing. 

To clarify: 

This is an open source application. If you like, you can download the code, make the changes (brand, graphics, etc) compile it and submit it to Apples AppStore. Apart from that, you need to install some files on your server (our Messenger-API) and you will be ready to go.

The version we are going to submit to AppStore is an unbranded version that will be able to connect to all Oxwall sites with the Messenger-API installed. So your users will be able to buy it on AppStore and connect to your site. 

Romuald
Romuald Oct 17 '13

@ thomas I hate to integrate to my site and when it becomes available you could guide me to put it on apple store please?

Thank you again for all your work.

cordially

Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Oct 19 '13
hi when i try to log in on the app it comes up bad network response. probably the json url is unreachable. also if i want to change the url and site name the app connects to it wont let you go off keyboard and close page 
Thomas
Thomas Oct 19 '13
@Kieron. The Demosite is up and running so there should not be any problems. If the network is down it should only be temporarily. Wait a while and try again. Do not attempt to change the preset URL as the function to change sites is not yet implemented. 
Romuald
Romuald Oct 19 '13

@ Thomas Could you tell me or download your app if you like or you have to wait? could you pm me for that thank you in advance.

cordially

Thomas
Thomas Oct 20 '13
We still have at least one week of development to do. After that I'll post detailed instructions on how to install and deploy the app.

One thing that you need to consider is that even if the app's source code is free, in order to submit to AppStore you'll have to get a developer account with Apple. Also, to do modifications in the code, you need to know objective-c or hire a developer that does.
ustc
ustc Oct 20 '13
@Thomas

After testing the app for these days, it's really a useful app for oxwall users. and i also find some  places may need to be optimized, they are as follows.

1, When i log in, it is ok to input the user name, but when i input the password, i can't see the password box,  and the sign in button.

2, it is better if we can add the notifications function, when get a new message.

3, Also if we could show the members that are online, that will be perfect.

4, When I send news, can feel a little lag, may be it is my problem....

The Forum post is edited by ustc Oct 20 '13
Thomas
Thomas Oct 20 '13
@ustc. Great input! Every point will be addressed in the upcoming release. Thank you.
ustc
ustc Oct 21 '13
@Thomas

Another advice, we may list the members according the distance between"the member and the user", the iphone and the ipad can collect the GPS information.....

May be the next version....

Thomas
Thomas Oct 21 '13
@ustc. That is a great feature indeed. We'll try to add that in V2. It won't make it in the first release.
ustc
ustc Oct 21 '13
@Thomas

Still need to add register button:)

And one question, the oxwall messager communicate through the oxwall mail, I am not very sure if our mail system is based on XMPP?

Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Oct 21 '13
I signed up for the site and testflight. I am on ios7. would love to check it out.
Thomas
Thomas Oct 22 '13
@ustc - we are not using XMPP to route messeges in OxwallMessenger, but we are concidering it for future versions. @OxwallAccessories - you should be ready to go. I updateded the provisioning profile with your device. Thx for for your help.
The Forum post is edited by Thomas Oct 22 '13
matt
matt Oct 22 '13
Please excuse my barging in - Will this most promising app work with SSL?

m
Thomas
Thomas Oct 22 '13
@matt. We have not addressed SSL at all. I guess we can implement that in a future release if there is a demand for it. Or you could do a modification yourself. 
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Oct 22 '13
Nothing is showing up in my account. 
Thomas
Thomas Oct 23 '13
@OxwallAccessories - In TestFlight or on Demosite? What is your username? PM me, okay?

EDIT: You should be ready to go now. ;-) Thank you for helping out.

The Forum post is edited by Thomas Oct 23 '13
Thomas
Thomas Oct 23 '13

We are in beta 0.5.1. We have added a feature to select access to pre-approved Oxwall sites (powered with our API). TimeStamp issue in MessageView is resolved. Notification badge is working (hopefully) and should be tested in real environment. 

Next release will address issues with search field in iOS7, background on iPad and continued improvements in the user interface. We are considering adding site newsfeed to the app, and would love to hear your thoughts about it.

We have not had any major crashes and that makes us very happy. Please send as many messages as you can with the app and report any issues on GitHub. Certain problems are not detected at first, but shows up after a period of extensive use. 

Thank you for your help and your patience.

ustc
ustc Oct 23 '13
@ Thomas we still need to add the other members profile function,
if we can integrate the gift plguin, and let the gift shown in the profile page, it will be better. I hope the oxwall messager could be a very good instant messaging solution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »