We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Newsfeed .ow_remark | Forum

Daisy Team
Daisy Nov 27 '13
The highlighted area is the comment area with the original comment, not a blog post content. And as I said, the original comments are not truncated, they show up as they are.
dave Leader
dave Nov 27 '13

Yes daisy he wants to reduce the amount of text that gets posted to Newsfeed from the other features (ie forum, blog, comments).  His Newsfeed displays are too long. 

Hope that helps.  

Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Nov 27 '13
Yes, that was a comment at blogs that appears on the newsfeed, and the following is an actual blog post that shows up at newsfeed...

Either way, it's too long and again,, I'd like to have this shortened at Newsfeed..
The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн Nov 27 '13
Daisy Team
Daisy Nov 27 '13
Krunch, you can reduce the blog post content in the newsfeed item via /ow_plugins/blogs/init.php file.

As for the comments - as I said the original comments are not truncated, and it requires the comments feature redesign to truncate the text.
dave Leader
dave Nov 27 '13

Thanks Daisy :)

And for the forum and group posts Daisy, how to reduce how much text of those ends up on the newsfeed display?   That was his primary concern was the text from the forums and groups as i understood it..  

he did 2 forum test posts and compared the two as they were displayed in newsfeed,  

Comparing 2 I found 958 and 928 on another.

So its not the 150 we see in forum init.php and i could find nothing Daisy that was even close to those numbers.  My thought was since it is not the same they are 30 char apart, then maybe it is a percent and not a whole number truncate, but i could not find it Daisy..

i did notice some height designations in the newsfeed.js file in the static js folder but not sure those would do this, but could be.

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 27 '13
Daisy Team
Daisy Dec 10 '13
Dave, we've tried to modify the number of characters on our test site and everything works fine, we could not reproduce the problem. Most probably Krunch has already done some modifications. So, to find the solution (if the problem still exists) we need to see it on the site. Thus, if you managed to reproduce the problem, please provide us with the site where we can see it and we will try to find the proper solution.
dave Leader
dave Dec 10 '13
Thanks for clarifying Daisy :)
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Dec 10 '13

Quote from Daisy Dave, we've tried to modify the number of characters on our test site and everything works fine, we could not reproduce the problem. Most probably Krunch has already done some modifications. So, to find the solution (if the problem still exists) we need to see it on the site. Thus, if you managed to reproduce the problem, please provide us with the site where we can see it and we will try to find the proper solution.

http://fetishi.net
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Dec 10 '13

Daisy 

Most probably Krunch has already done some modifications.

Nope, no modifications, same happens on Davilleland at Newsfeed when posting a Topic at Forums..

The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн Dec 10 '13
Daisy Team
Daisy Feb 6 '14
Krunch, sorry I've missed this topic. I've registered at your site. Could you please approve my account, so I could check the problem directly on your site.
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Feb 6 '14
I don't see you as "awaiting", I did however see margareth, this account I approved.
Daisy Team
Daisy Feb 14 '14
Dear Krunch,

I've added a test forum topic (11089 characters) and only 150 of them showed up in the newsfeed. Please see the screenshot attached.

Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Feb 14 '14
As you can see from my above previous posts on this subject this hasn't always been the case, I did however notice that around the time I changed themes this issue seemed resolved, can't imagine it would be due to a theme but obviously it must be as I have a friend who is now using that very same (Liquid Theme) at his network on http://davilleland.net and having the same issues I had w/extended long text at Newsfeed, Much thanks for your help..

Sample at Davilleland

Austeyr
Austeyr Mar 7 '14
why not go to your > index page > click customise this page > click the forum widget settings > find Preview length for forum topic in characters input box and change the amount of characters there. the same can be done for blogs but you need to find Previw length instead of review length for forum topic in characters.  not sure why your trying to change core code unless im mistaken and am not understanding you.
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Mar 7 '14

Quote from Randell why not go to your > index page > click customise this page > click the forum widget settings > find Preview length for forum topic in characters input box and change the amount of characters there. the same can be done for blogs but you need to find Previw length instead of review length for forum topic in characters.  not sure why your trying to change core code unless im mistaken and am not understanding you.

No such option available for "Preview length", not an issue anymore anyways, changed theme, issue was Only with the Liquid Theme...

Austeyr
Austeyr Mar 7 '14
bummer, glad it got sorted tho. 
Daisy Team
Daisy Mar 20 '14
Krunch, is this custom theme which you have the problem with ? If so, this problem may be caused by the theme due to the classes it uses. In any case to find the solution I need to reproduce the problem, so maybe you can provide me with the theme name, platform and newsfeed versions and I will try to reproduce this problem on our test site?
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Mar 20 '14

Quote from Daisy (Liquid Theme)

I don't have this problem any longer, it was only when using the (Liquid Theme)
Daisy Team
Daisy Mar 20 '14
Krunch, I would appreciate if you reported this problem to theme developer.
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Mar 21 '14

Quote from Daisy Krunch, I would appreciate if you reported this problem to theme developer.

Done deal...
Pages: « 1 2 3 »