We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

shifting from jcow to oxwall!!! | Forum

shimray
shimray Jul 31 '11
Hi all, i have a jcow site and have somewhere around 150 members as of now(its a new site). At first all thing was fine with jcow, did some customization and all, but now damn with spammers! its rainin spams now!! so im kinda thinkin of shiftin to oxwall script!!! 

what will be the best suggestion so tat i can retain the members without them having to sign up again! (and hopefully oxwall will have less spams!)... how do i integrate jcow database with oxwall  or in that matter just the username and password for them to sign in....
shimray
shimray Jul 31 '11
ok then what are the other possible options even if that has to be done manually. Like im thinkin if it will be possible to add users directly to the database and with a similar password for every user, and that way i can msg my users about the password and let them change later?

or any other ways!!!
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 31 '11
I remember for an Oxwall member he requested to have all the members passwords set to 123456.  This was easily done using sql script.

What you may be able to do is use a "contact importer" plugin and extract the username and email from the previous site database which shouldnt be too hard and import into oxwall.  From emory, improted contacts get their email as the password? (I will need to test this to make sure it is correct)
ma3ih Club
ma3ih Jul 31 '11
oxwall have alot of spams too :D
they say when we delete users with all data
they mail is deleted too
but 1 spammers come to my site today
i delete it
but the mails still is here :( :|
Den Team
Den Aug 1 '11
Did you updated core and mailbox plugin to the latest version? With new update system will delete user's conversation too.
ma3ih Club
ma3ih Aug 1 '11
yes i update anything
if i send 2 mail in 20 sec
its show me a capcha code
just dont delete conversation

The Forum post is edited by ma3ih Aug 1 '11
Jason Poore
Jason Poore Aug 23 '11
The way to Switch database is not that easy i did that on thn.thndesktop.info i switched from jcow to oxwall you will need to get download the database as a CSV file and match the databases field names word for word username is the same password is the same but using the same password they have in the jcow database will not work in the oxwall my advice is to just leave the password in the databace empty after transfer and all your member has to do is click forgot my password and change it this may take 2-3 hours i has over 900 members to transfer and it took over 1 our to do enjoy