We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Lots of members have left oxwall | Forum

Pete
Pete May 25 '14
I am just wondering why so many members have left oxwall in such a short time ,the forum does not seem the same without them
John
John May 25 '14
One reason may be that too many members on this forum don't share! I'm aware of a couple of plugin developers and a few other knowledgeable people who never offer help. It's basically left up to Ross and Aliia and very few others, but Ross is more into trouble shooting and Aliia can't possibly respond to everyone and everything.

There are others who do help of course, but they're few and far between.

I've been coming here for what seems like a couple of years and I remember that most of my questions were never answered. That's not the case any more, so at least I'm happy about that.

Please don't get me wrong, this is still a valuable forum when you can dodge the spam, but it could be better if there were a few extra departments like "Plugin Help". If you go to the Dolphin forum, there's not much activity there either. it seems that most people join these forums because they want answers and few join because they like the product and interested in helping others.

Just my thoughts.
The Forum post is edited by John May 25 '14
bobbi
bobbi May 26 '14
maybe a ticket system would better at least your questions would have to be answered especially if you dont get a answer or fix using the forum, i remember sending ross a pm about a issue didnt even get a reply, so the support here is good but not great, so john you may have something departments could be a great idea

mods to deal with the spam would be a start, it will put people off coming here

i dread getting a major issue with my site in case i dont get a reply or fix here it shouldnt be like that a support forum should be that support and help for those who need it,

if i know the answer to any issues i will share what i know, i feel the frustration of users who are not getting answers so of course they uninstall oxwall and go elsewhere which is a shame as oxwall is excellent software

Pete
Pete May 26 '14
I think oxwall should start tackling all this spam on the forum ,I just don't know why they don't limit new members posting on the forum until these people have been checked out .We need more people on the forum defo to mod the boards, I think we need a bit better organisation ,from selling mods ,to running the website forum boards.To tackle the spam on my forum ,I have now made it apart of when registering that members have to say something about there interests.
The Forum post is edited by Pete May 26 '14
kevinL
kevinL May 27 '14
I think oxwall is in the process of figuring out how to stop human spammer in this forum. The spammers are human they can answer the captcha question. I think oxwall don't want to manually delete every single spam topic and post. Oxwall need auto delete if a post have a spammer links.   
John
John May 28 '14
They said they delete spam posts every Monday which seems to be the case. Trouble is, we have to put up with the stuff until then and that's often a whole week. On a well moderated forum, spam posts are deleted within minutes or within hours at worst.

People have offered to moderate but it's fallen on deaf ears. it seems the developers are worried that Mods will also delete legitimate posts too. Can't say I agree because anyone including the developers can do that.
Pete
Pete May 28 '14
The people that come on to oxwall and use this software ,should have some say in how things should be run,but I feel this is just not the case . Oxwall just do not listen to members ,or don`t want to listen . Oxwall seem to forget ,without members oxwall would be nothing. There is quite a few members that have now left oxwall ,and I feel if the people that or running oxwall,do not change there attitude and listen to members ,then I am afraid more members well end up leaving .I suggested oxwall put on the forum google adds to help fund  oxwall ,but that has fallen on to deaf ears .If oxwall think they can progress without funds ,then I don't hold much hope for oxwall in the future ,and I suggest to all members ,make sure you have some other form of script to fall back on .
Steve
Steve May 28 '14

Quote from Pete I am just wondering why so many members have left oxwall in such a short time ,the forum does not seem the same without them

Well, as a new user of the software, you jumped on me for asking a question. Perhaps your horrible attitude is the reason people are leaving.

I support all of the software programs I use, but since I just installed Oxwall today, I want to get it working the way I want it to work BEFORE I pay to support it. If I can't do what I want with it, I will move on to another software product.

Try not attacking new users the day they start and maybe more of us will hang around and even be able to help.
Pete
Pete May 28 '14

I did not jump on you ,I asked why you did not have the oxwall logo on your website . So if you just installed your oxwall today then you have removed the oxwall logo ,which is breaking the terms to use oxwall.  I just don't like thieves,that take other people software and try to pass it on as there own.  I well now give you the right to post on the forum that I have horrible attitude ,,,,

post update,

You should have stated the fact that you or using oxwall has part of your website only, in your first post ,and I would have answered your question and told you how to do what you need ,but after all your insults on another board ,I shall make sure that people need to be careful about you as you or just trouble if you do not get your own way.And just post insult after insult

The Forum post is edited by Pete May 28 '14
John
John May 28 '14
I'm not sure who jumped on you Steve, but that does happen to new users when they don't do a search or get a feel for the forum before posting. All forums have a certain etiquette and Oxwall is no different. I hope things have sorted themselves out now.

Although Oxwall is quite a good product, it does have serious problems installing on some servers. In my case it seems to run on one server, but not two others. Just look at the posts for 500 errors and you'll see what I mean.

More people have left Oxwall for that reason alone. I've persevered, but how many will give up after the second try. These people come to the forum for answers, seldom get the response they need and move on.

There aren't many choices out there. Elgg comes very close but it doesn't have a built in forum. The user forum is not much better than this one with questions often going unanswered. Ditto Boonex.

Another unrelated script called OSCommerce had similar problems. Then a fork (Zen Cart) was created and the competition really changed things. Maybe the same needs to happen with Oxwall?

Steve
Steve May 28 '14

Quote from Pete

I did not jump on you ,I asked why you did not have the oxwall logo on your website . So if you just installed your oxwall today then you have removed the oxwall logo ,which is breaking the terms to use oxwall.  I just don't like thieves,that take other people software and try to pass it on as there own.  I well now give you the right to post on the forum that I have horrible attitude

You are retarded.

The only page the logo is NOT on is the Register page, which it is not on anyway. It is on the other pages. The only two pages I want to customize are the Register and the Join page. ALL OF THE OTHER OXWALL PAGES HAVE THE LOGO INTACT. I am no thief and do not want to pass anything that is not mine off as mine. In fact, I intend to support the site, as I do with all software I find useful, but I need to make it work for me FIRST.
Steve
Steve May 28 '14

Quote from John I'm not sure who jumped on you Steve, but that does happen to new users when they don't do a search or get a feel for the forum before posting. All forums have a certain etiquette and Oxwall is no different. I hope things have sorted themselves out now.

Although Oxwall is quite a good product, it does have serious problems installing on some servers. In my case it seems to run on one server, but not two others. Just look at the posts for 500 errors and you'll see what I mean.

More people have left Oxwall for that reason alone. I've persevered, but how many will give up after the second try. These people come to the forum for answers, seldom get the response they need and move on.

There aren't many choices out there. Elgg comes very close but it doesn't have a built in forum. The user forum is not much better than this one with questions often going unanswered. Ditto Boonex.

Another unrelated script called OSCommerce had similar problems. Then a fork (Zen Cart) was created and the competition really changed things. Maybe the same needs to happen with Oxwall?

Thanks, John. I appreciate the info.
Pete
Pete May 28 '14

More insults

This looks like your main page to me  https://www.syberconnect.com/?action=home   and because you did not state in your first post that you or only using oxwall has part of your website,you caused a misunderstanding .

Do you really think posting all your insults is going to get you a response for some help from any member.

Steve
Steve May 28 '14

Quote from Pete

More insults

This looks like your main page to me  https://www.syberconnect.com/?action=home

It is, and that part of my site is not built on Oxwall, dumbass. Oxwall is installed in the Members directory of that site.

Do you understand? Some of us can build a Web site without Oxwall. Oxwall is merely a plugin to ADD to my site, not to be my site.

Does anyone else get on here besides this moron?
Pete
Pete May 28 '14

You have such a big mouth don't you ? and you or very insulting .I would have said sorry about the mistake I made ,but under the circumstances I think not .And as for as your website goes ,it looks crap to tell you the truth ,sorry to burst your bubble mate.My children can build better website .I can also give insults out .I would have given you all the right info to help you ,but has you did not state on your first post on the other board that you were only using oxwall has part of your website then you have only yourself to blame for any misunderstanding ,and there was no need to post a lot of childish insults . Members of oxwall do not take kindly to people posting lots of insults about people on the forum boards. 

Steve
Steve May 28 '14

Quote from Pete

More insults

Do you really think posting all your insults is going to get you a response for some help from any member.

If they read all your posts and realize you know nothing about coding...yes, I think they will help me out. When they see you are accusing me of removing the Oxwall logo from MY OWN WEBSITE THAT IS NOT BUILT ON OXWALL, they will see you are retarded and they will help me out.
Steve
Steve May 28 '14

Quote from Pete

You have such a big mouth don't you ? and you or very insulting .I would have said sorry about the mistake I made ,but under the circumstances I think not .And as for as your website goes ,it looks crap to tell you the truth ,sorry to burst your bubble mate.My children can build better website .

Lol. It was built for children. I do not do design. I just do coding...so again..you are WRONG.

I'm sure your Web site is AWESOME, but I will still not waste my time looking at it.

Pete
Pete May 28 '14
Do you really think so ,what planet or you on my friend .  Lol   You were posting on oxwall ,so I presumed you were using the oxwall script ,you should have pointed this out to me before you started all your insults .Anyway I have better things to do with my time than to keep post replys to you. I don't really care what you think about my website to tell you the truth
Steve
Steve May 28 '14

Quote from Pete Do you really think so ,what planet or you on my friend .  Lol   you were posting on oxwall ,so I presumed you were using the oxwall script ,you should have pointed this out to me before you started all your insults .Anyway I have better things to do with my time than to keep post replys to you.
Good. It is difficult to read your posts anyway as you obviously have trouble typing English...and you are from the country that invented it! Whew.
Pete
Pete May 28 '14

More insults ,you or very good at insulting people I must say

The Forum post is edited by Pete May 29 '14
Pages: 1 2 »
This topic is locked