We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email left in inbox upon user delete | Forum

Crewdog
Crewdog Sep 9 '11
I like that when a profile is deleted, all associated content is deleted, but there is one item that remains, which is emails in other users' inbox.  Is there any way to remedy this so that when a user deletes their profile (or is deleted by admin), any emails sent by them also delete?
Abbey
Abbey May 8 '16
yeah this is annoying
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost May 8 '16
Yes this is very importen security issue that need bee solved. and i think ross told me they will working to fix this issue in a update.

because sometimes i have people spam url on my website to let say 500 people before i have a report to me and i can delete him but then it is already to late because all url that he spam to my members is still in they inboxes even that i delete him from my website or suspend him. 

option 1 if i suspend him or option 2 delete him all his emails and photos should bee deleted and this my opinion. this need bee solved i not want have a website for marketing other competioners website easy with spam to my members.

i vote for suspend because then he can not make a new profile with same email the best solution to delete him he will come back with same email, need make it hard for them come back no easy

Marcus

dave Leader
dave May 8 '16
But what do you do with the emails from them sitting in other peoples box's?  Some people use those emails as reference to protect themselves as proof of a conversation. So do you want to delete all emails by a deleted user even if it is sitting in someone else's box?
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost May 9 '16
dave,

I want only when ADMIN suspend someone the emails deletes in all inboxes and all photos delete from that user. 

You would not like have someone spam urls in you oxwall website now let say 500 urls in 500 members inboxes what you would do? just look when other people reports 500 times and just ignore that they have urls to other websites forever in they inboxes?

need something bee done for protect you site from this. if i do same on another dating site my 500 emails would bee deleted after that i will bee banned and even my uploaded photos deleted. if there is naked ones uploaded for example.

if i was a spammer i would love spam url on a oxwall website because all urls i will spam will stay forever in peoples inboxes. 

other community sites solved this long time ago, so i think oxwall can solve it to they have a smart team. i happy my website not very big yet then i would more worry about this spam and photo problem 

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost May 9 '16
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 9 '16
This is a tricky one. Suspend is when you temporarily block a member. I think you are referring to ban, or delete. When someone is banned it is typically for a serious use violation. These should not be allowed to come back with that same IP, or email. Deletion can be for any number of reasons from inactivity to violations. When someone is suspended; maybe they had a bad day, and are venting a little too much, and need a cool off time. You would only want to remove all instances when someone is banned. I've read that spammers can have multiple IP addresses, and emails are easy to create, and can fairly easily come back with new credentials, if your site is open to registration. This happens everywhere. Even on the big sites. The big complaint from anyone that has been on any dating site is fake profiles. These sites have huge budgets, and still can't stop them.
A plugin where you could input an email, or photo name, and delete all references to it from the database wouldn't be a bad idea.
dave Leader
dave May 9 '16
This is also where good server management comes in as well. You can always block ranges of IP's server side and there are sites that have pretty fair IP's block lists of past offenders.  One thing to remember is that if they are from a third world country new IP's can be hard to come by so they are forced to use proxies many times. Proxies can be detected by a good server setup and can be stopped. 

I wrote an article one time on one of my old blogs about this very thing. What happens is that an admin gets all set up and they start blocking IP's and then somewhere down the line someone says "hey you blocked my uncle Joe"  and the admin out of desperate measures for members, starts unblocking IP's left and right. Which opens the door again to spammers. 

You have to realize that you cant have it both ways, there is no way to be public and private at the same time.  If you have a good IP's blocking setup then yes sometimes uncle Joe is going to be blocked but that is just the way the ball bounces and nothing you can do about it, it is a small percentage.  This also can happen because not all IP's are static so one person could be a spammer and the next person with the IP wont be. But again you have to stick to your guns and not go opening the door just because a few good people get blocked. 

There are lots of ways to stop spammers, i used to have a website dedicated to this with lots of tips from IP blocking to email munging.  It can be done effectively if using the right tools. 

The Forum post is edited by dave May 9 '16
dave Leader
dave May 9 '16
Here is one site that i used to use back then.  

https://www.smartlabsoftware.com/tools/email-address-encoder.htm

anytime you have an email address on a form, then it also resides in the page source and spiders and spam bots can crawl those page sources with their email harvesters to grab the email.  This site helps with that. 

You have to use a multi dimensional method of attack. 

The Forum post is edited by dave May 9 '16
ross Team
ross May 10 '16
Yes, this issue's been already reported to the devs
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost May 10 '16
hmmm ....was talk a lot about ip and emails adresses?

- For me the Biggest problem is the messages the spammers sends out that stays in let say 500 members inboxes FOREVER even if the user are deleted or banned. And if a user upload very bad photos i heard from someone here that this photos are still on the site even if the user are deleted or banned.
- The ip and email is another problem and that problem i think can never bee solved. it is to easy create new ones this days.
Marcus

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost May 10 '16