We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Bouncing Emails | Forum

Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Nov 8 '14
When my Wordpress site sends my members emails, they get them. When my oxwall site sends email to THE EXACT SAME MEMBERS WITH THE EXACT SAME EMAIL ADDRESSES, I get bounce notifications, and they don't receive the emails. 

I have that problem on an old oxwall site, been a problem for a long time. 

Now I just created a new Oxwall site, and SAME PROBLEM OF BOUNCING EMAILS. 

Why do my members get the emails from my Wordpress site, but NOT the emails from my Oxwall site? Same members, same email addresses. Wordpress successful, Oxwall bounces. All my sites are on the same dedicated server. 

Can anyone figure that one out?

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 8 '14
are they both send from the same address 

in the bounced mail is a return error code check look the code up on the returned mail provider and it will tell you why its bounced  
Peatech LLC
Peatech LLC Nov 8 '14
Could possibly be a script for mailing inside of Oxwall not functioning correctly. Do you have SMTP setup? That could be set up improperly and could cause the problem. However, you're on a hosted dedicated server which means the administration behind it can block scripts from accessing a fully functional email port at anytime for things, for example, being a spam-attacked site (spam meaning they could be in your site or just constantly adding "hits" to it). 

If the new install of Oxwall is having the same problem, I'd suggest contacting your hosting company.

~Jake,

CTO

www.ewtnet.us

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 8 '14
before you contact anyone you first need to know some details 

does both sites ues the same email address to send mail

then
in the bounced mail is a return error code check look the code up on the returned mail provider and it will tell you why its bounced  

then you will know how what and why 

ie of is same address but error code is say blocked from spammy message 

change the wording of the emails 

a big no no have the word Dear in mail considered spam 

run this test it will show you problems 
http://www.mail-tester.com/

ross Team
ross Nov 10 '14
Jobee, please provide a text of those bounce e-mails. 
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Nov 13 '14

Here are a few. Seems that email systems often want to block emails sent from Oxwall sites. 

I have members who are registered on a Wordpress site of mine, and are also registered on an oxwall site of mine. Those members members are registered on both sites using their same email address. The always receive the emails sent from my wordpress site, they do NOT receive the emails sent from my oxwall site. And my Oxwall site emails always bounce. 

Of course my wordpress site is on a different domain from the oxwall site. But both sites are sending to the same emails, but my members receive only emails sent from the wordpress site, and not the oxwall site. I end up seeing the bounces of those emails from oxwall in my inbox. 

Reporting-MTA: dns; dex319.exmasters.com

X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 85B0118285D8

X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; admin@planettickle.com

Arrival-Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 21:11:01 +0800 (HKT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; fminfo1@me.com

Original-Recipient: rfc822;fminfo1@me.com

Action: failed

Remote-MTA: dns; mx1.mail.icloud.com

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.0 Blocked - see

https://support.proofpoint.com/...gi?ip=89.185.234.128:

fminfo1@me.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reporting-MTA: dns; dex319.exmasters.comX-Postfix-Queue-ID: A68A41828459X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; admin@planettickle.comArrival-Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:35:01 +0800 (HKT)
Final-Recipient: rfc822; brycedouglass@icloud.comOriginal-Recipient: rfc822;brycedouglass@icloud.comAction: failedStatus: 5.7.0Remote-MTA: dns; mx4.mail.icloud.comDiagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.0 Blocked - see    https://support.proofpoint.com/...89.185.234.128: ;   brycedouglass@icloud.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reporting-MTA: dns; dex319.exmasters.comX-Postfix-Queue-ID: 351B118283B7X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; admin@planettickle.comArrival-Date: Sun,  9 Nov 2014 15:20:02 +0800 (HKT)
Final-Recipient: rfc822; gene_clark@att.netOriginal-Recipient: rfc822;gene_clark@att.netAction: failedStatus: 5.0.0Remote-MTA: dns; aln-mailrelay.att.netDiagnostic-Code: smtp; 521-89.185.234.128 blocked by    sbc:blacklist.mailrelay.att.net. 521 DNSRBL: Blocked for abuse. See    http://att.net/blocks

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Reporting-MTA: dns; dex319.exmasters.comX-Postfix-Queue-ID: E15CE18283D9X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; admin@planettickle.comArrival-Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:06:02 +0800 (HKT)
Final-Recipient: rfc822; fminfo1@me.comOriginal-Recipient: rfc822;fminfo1@me.comAction: failedStatus: 5.7.0Remote-MTA: dns; mx1.mail.icloud.comDiagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.0 Blocked - see    https://support.proofpoint.com/...89.185.234.128: ;   fminfo1@me.com

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Nov 13 '14

Quote from Tammy before you contact anyone you first need to know some details 

does both sites ues the same email address to send mail

then

then you will know how what and why 

ie of is same address but error code is say blocked from spammy message 

change the wording of the emails 

a big no no have the word Dear in mail considered spam 

run this test it will show you problems 

I changed all the "Dear" in the language to "Hi"

We'll see if that changes the number of bounces.

ross Team
ross Nov 14 '14
Jobee, you will need to contact the mail companies which blocked your IP address and find out the exact reason why they blocked your IP address.  

Sometimes the mail agents has a limit in mail quantity they receive from the certain IP or the words like "verification" can lead to blocking your IP, which is why it will be good if you try to explain yourself to them, that you're the owner of the website and these are the emails of your actual website members. 
It is strange, since you said both oxwall and wordpress are one the same dedicated server. Do they use the same mail server?Is this the complete messages content you got or you have cut something out before sending to us?

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 14 '14
do you have a bounced mail from hotmain or yahoo   as going by that 

looks like rdns problem 

go this site copy the addy and send invite to that address in admin 
after sending go back the site and click check your score 
it will tell you problems 

also try this 
http://mxtoolbox.com/

as it looks like your domain is not correctly set up 

Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Nov 14 '14
again I ask,

Never any bounced emails with wordpress sites on the same dedicated server. Only emails sent from my oxwall sites bounce. 

before installing oxwall on this domain, there was a wordpress site. Never bounce emails. But when I changed it to oxwall site, so many bounced emails. Same members, same email addresses. Only difference is, I changed to oxwall, members re-joined with the same email address they had on the wordpress site, and now emails bounce. 

I went in and changed the wording and reduced unnecessary links in the auto emails in the language. I removed "dear" and replaced with "hi". 

So we'll see what that does, if it reduces the bounces.

I do appreciate all the feedback from you guys. I'll update you in a few days. 

ross Team
ross Nov 17 '14
Alright, keep us updated
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Nov 20 '14
Just by changing the wording a bit and removing unnecessary links, my bounces have decreased. I also discovered I was listed by baracuda and one other email spam list. I managed to get removed from Baracuda by request.

More as things develop.

ross Team
ross Nov 21 '14
Jobee, by the way, what was in those e-mails?

What about other companies? Have you contacted them? What was their reply?