We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Anyone else noticing poor performance or errors after upgrading to 1.7.2 ? | Forum

Wilson
Wilson Mar 10 '15
So Ross...after reading your posts, my question is do you still need a VPS just for the "Message" plugin even after they have optimized it? 2nd Do you need a VPS for1.6 version?

Say 5,000 members with 50 users daily

Wilson
The Forum post is edited by Wilson Mar 10 '15
Kelvin
Kelvin Mar 10 '15
It depends on how many members online everyday.
ross Team
ross Mar 12 '15
Wilson, the deal is that you need a VPS not only because of the Messages plugin, but we have modified the photo plugin, now it uses ajax upload which made this feature heavier than in 1.6, let alone the Newsfeed with such amount of users.

For your website to run fast considering the current amount of users and taking into account the potential users, I believe the VPS and dedicated server is the best option starting from 1.7. version of the software. For 1.6. as Kelvin says that depends on the amount of concurrent and active users, the extent of the content. The best of all would be a VPS or Dedicated server. 

If you want to have a serious website/business you don't even think about the shared plan, just stating the obvious)). 

Christer
Christer Mar 12 '15
Question about newsfeed then Ross. If I use 1000 dummies and they are never on newsfeed of course then its will not use basiclly anything? Or even if its just installed there a lot of power used to that plugin? As my site are dating so I consider to remove newsfeed as no need really for it if I can gain speed for message plugin as its my most importent plugin. But when a customer come and click around then the newsfeed work a lot maybe?
The Forum post is edited by Christer Mar 12 '15
ross Team
ross Mar 12 '15
If those dummies are not friends with the active users and don't have any content which is commented, rated or liked, then the load is insignificant. 
Christer
Christer Mar 12 '15
ok great, thanks Ross
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Apr 20 '15
Hi Guys,

So the Solution is :

1. Deactivate Newsfeed
2. Deactivate Message Plugin
3. Upgrade to VPS if you enable them

Most of my members they login rarely but they do visit the site based on Google Ananlytics....I dont have a budget for VPS at the moment...so i guess i need to deactivated as i enabled Memcached & Cloudfare CDN to compress and cache but still no luck.
Wilson
Wilson Apr 20 '15
Hey Webster Molaudi,

Well...On one of my projects I only have Newsfeed (a must) Photo, (a must) hint, Message ONLY (no chat) (a must), links, Video (a must), upload files (a must), Avatar History, Birthdays, Contact us (a must) plugins with about 100 users and have NO issues. This is on a shared server and I'm running 1.7.3 core version and all updated plugins...NO issues yet!

Running real smooth!

Wilson
The Forum post is edited by Wilson Apr 20 '15
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Apr 21 '15
Thanks Wilson :)
Pages: « 1 2 3