We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

facebook connect not recognizing app id or secret | Forum

Ed D.
Ed D. Feb 2 '12
When installing Facebook Connect, I receive the following error:

"Application setup failed. Please check your App ID and Application Secret."

I have created an app, and entered the correct app id and secret dozens of times. I have also deleted and recreated the app over and over. Yes, I have uninstalled every trace of earlier versions of the plugin and started from scratch and still I get this same message! I've had this plugin working on an earlier version of oxwall, so I am totally baffled! ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

huskiebump.com
Michael I.
Michael I. Feb 6 '12
Did you fill the Website URL field on the application page? Share your application settings page screenshot here.
Ed D.
Ed D. Feb 11 '12

The Forum post is edited by Ed D. Feb 11 '12
Ed D.
Ed D. Feb 11 '12
Michael I.
Michael I. Feb 15 '12
I have two ideas:

1. There was a temporary glitch and our software couldn't connect with Facebook for some reasons. Can you check if the issue still persists?

2. There is a space in your App ID or App Secret. Check for that, too.

Ed Domich
Ed Domich Feb 22 '12
I have tried reinstalling Facebook Connect as well as the app. No spaces. I'm lost.
Ed D.
Ed D. Feb 26 '12
Okay, not sure what happened but for some reason, I am able to input my app secret and id without any problems or red error messages! The bad news is I still can't click on the Facebook Connect or contact import buttons. I have removed every custom js code on every page to eliminate the possibility of interference, and reinstalled both plugins. Oh, and my profile rating button (stars) don't work either. Definitely a js issue, just can't figure out what's tripping all these problems. Can someone please help?!?!?!?!
Ed D.
Ed D. Feb 26 '12
When I hover over the Facebook login button or the Invite button from contact importer I just see javascript:// in the bottom left of my browser. Not sure if this helps.
Adhy Musaad
Adhy Musaad Feb 27 '12
Reset or Create new Apps
Ed D.
Ed D. Feb 27 '12
I don't receive error messages anymore. The problem is that the links are unclickable. I can't tell you how many times I've deleted and created new Facebook Apps, repaired them, reinstalled Facebook Connect from scratch, etc. The bottom line is that I can't click the Facebook link. *sigh*
Ed Domich
Ed Domich Feb 27 '12
Success! I finally (sort of) figured it out! In my page settings, there was a custom code for facebook connect sitting in there, and it had the wrong App ID, so I changed it to my current one. IT STILL DIDN'T WORK!

I simply erased this code, and reinstalled Facebook Connect with Dev Mode on, waited a few minutes and voila!

What's strange is that there is no custom code in the head now. Was this changed at some point with a plugin update?

Now, for whatever reason, I am unable to connect while I'm logged into facebook with my admin email, but it works fine with my personal email.

On a side note, my contact importer still does not work for either google or facebook. I will keep everyone posted.
Adhy Musaad
Adhy Musaad Feb 27 '12
Delate Plugin and new Instal
Marco
Marco Nov 10 '12
I've got the same problem. There are no whitespaces. I reinstalled the plugin several times. I get the error "Application setup failed. Please check your App ID and Application Secret.". I renewed the secret key, deinstalled the plugin, reinstalled it. I setup a new app, reinstalled plugin. No success.
The login via facebook works fine.
The Forum post is edited by Marco Nov 10 '12
Alia Team
Alia Nov 11 '12
Marco, can you PM me your admin panel access details ? I will try to set FB connect myself. Please pate this topic's URL in the PM along with access details. Thank you.
Mark
Mark Nov 16 '12
Hi Aliia,

I have a similar problem.

I've checked the docs link, above, but the doc is empty.

Facebook is giving me the following error message on the app.

Error

You have specified an App Domain but have not specified a valid integration URL.

indielabs.com.au must be derived from one of: Site URL, Mobile Site URL, Canvas URL, Secure Canvas URL, Page Tab URL or Secure Page Tab URL.

I created a connect app for a wall.fm site a few months ago easily.

This one is for my own hosted oxwall site, but it appears that Facebook is now being difficult.

Can you tell me where I'm going wrong with the 'valid integration url'?

I've tried indielabs.com.au and www.indielabs.com.au and https://indielabs.com.au/. ; I can't think of anything else to try.

I'm a layman, not a developer of techie/coder and at a loss.

Farcebook has struck again!  grin

Thanks,

Mark.

Mark
Mark Nov 16 '12
Okay, update.  Smacking head on desk.

I figured out the valid integration url had to be posted by clicking on the panel lower down on the facebook app page.  I'm slow, but get there eventually, grin.

So the facebook app is set.  Now it's just not being accepted on my site.  Red message telling me to check the ID and secret.  Both are correct.

What's next?

Thanks.
Mark
Mark Nov 16 '12
Further update.

I decided to ignore the error message and checked the front end of the site.  The facebook connect was there and working.  It wont let me log in with the admin account as it uses the same email I use for facebook, but otherwise appears to be working fine.  The error message seems to be false?

This might need looking at by someone more knowledgable than I am :)

Mark
Mark Nov 17 '12
New Update.

I attempted to change the admin/site email to mark@indielabs.com.au, a different one from the one I use for facebook, so I could test the facebook login properly, as the facebook connect was refusing to work as the facebook email was already used for the site admin account.

While I successfully changed the email in the site update, the site is now asking me to confirm the new email, but is giving a 500 internal server error whenever I attempt to send myself the email.  Emails now not working.

As a result, I'm now locked out of the site, can't get back at all to fix anything.

I just attempted to get in through bluehost, but locked out from there too, same problem and message with the email confirm.

Bluehost/Simple Scripts is also now telling me that they can't access my FTP and and that the server doesn't meet the necessary requirements for Oxwall (it did before!)

So, from good news to disaster!

Can anyone help me out, or am I now locked out of the site and have to delete it and start over?

Thanks.
Alia Team
Alia Nov 19 '12
Mark, can you log in to your server and turn DEBUG_MODE on and try to verify your email once more to see what the real error behind 500 error notice is ?
Mark
Mark Nov 19 '12
Hi Aliia,

No, I can't.  I have no idea how to use ftp or what to do with the site server files, and not game to try.  I tried a couple of years ago on another site and screwed up big-time, so I leave it to the more metally competent these days :)

I got onto Bluehost support, and after two days they seem to have fixed it.  Or to at least have figured a way around it and restored my access to the site.

This is their answer they sent me.

This was truly a challenging issue, but I figured out a resolution. I was able to go into the database, in the table: ox_base_config table and the column with the name "confirm_email". The value there was set to one, so I just changed it to 0, and that seemed to make the issue go away.

While it has given me back access, it still doesn't send the confirm emails, nor allow me to confirm the new admin email in the backend.  And when I set up another admin account with a different email (as a back-up in case I get locked out again), no confirm email was sent.  Manual verification of the new account's email resulted in another 500 error, but back-spacing the browser page restored site access.  I figure if that's the worst of it, I can live with it, even tho' it does appear to be a rough fix, not a proper one.

I don't know if that's of any help to anyone else, but that's the progress so far :)

Mark.
Pages: 1 2 3 »