We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

implementing a quick search box with location populated, 50 miles | Forum

Blake
Blake Jan 13 '16
from the admin page, when you create custom pages (visible to guests), how can you include a quick search box for that area?
EX: www.southernmeet.com/birmingham-dating should have a quick search box with it defaulting to birmingham,al
and the page for dallas should have a quick search box with dallas, tx selected- - is this a hard piece of html code to implement?
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jan 13 '16
Sounds like it would need to be a widget that utilizes geolocation to identify where the logged in user is from, and be able to perform a search radius from that location. Have no clue about how hard it would be since I am not a developer.
Blake
Blake Jan 13 '16
Not using geolocation.  It's fixed per city in each page
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jan 13 '16
I use this map plugin. It adds a field in the member search to be able to input miles from the member location. The member location automatically populates with their registered location. You may try contacting the dev of this plugin. It may work with the user quick search plugin, but I don't know since I don't have that one yet.
http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/436

It's a starting point, and could give you some insight on what you are attempting.
tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 15 '16
i had this made for my for another script and worked great
cost me $200

but try and find a dev that can do it on oxwall
every dev takes one hr to look at oxwall code and says it will cost you thousands just 
to get them to understand oxwall code let alone make the plugin 
even i have the db set up and the script to select and do distances etc 

Blake
Blake Jan 15 '16
on the static html pages, I'm trying to implement one of the two following ideas:

div class="index_qs_widget"> {component class='USEARCH_CMP_QuickSearchIndex'} {component class='BASE_CMP_JoinButton' cssClass='index_join_button'} /div>

OR pulling the html code  from the first page and select said city- -- there's a few variables i'm not sure will work

The Forum post is edited by Blake Jan 15 '16