We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Video Uploader | Forum

zack
zack May 27 '16
Is there any good video upload plugins for my user to use on my site?
dave Leader
dave May 27 '16
Zack DO NOT make multiple posts, the others will be deleted.  No i am not aware of any plugins that are valid for 1.8.3  at the moment.
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories May 29 '16
https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1244

pros

Great for building traffic from youtube and monetizing content.

allows all uploads to your youtube account

Doesn't require heavy hosting plans as everything is is stored and played from youtube.

cons

Downside is there is no adult content seeing as it uses youtube as a proxy

setup is a bit complicated as it requires setting u a few google tools

dave Leader
dave May 29 '16
Franz please start another topic,  and i know buddy.. but i am as helpless as anyone 
ross Team
ross May 30 '16
Franz, you can still download it from My purchases section. 

The plugin has been suspended due to many negative reviews and incompatibility with the latest version. 

We tried to contact the dev check whether he's going to do something about that, but he did not respond. 

So we took preventive measures for users not to have a bad experience. 

ross Team
ross May 30 '16
Zack, please do the search on the store: https://developers.oxwall.com/...gin?q=video%20upload
dave Leader
dave May 30 '16

Quote from ross Zack, please do the search on the store: https://developers.oxwall.com/...gin?q=video%20upload

Yeah me too buddy, i totally missed that one  :(

Sypa CC (Creative Fertile)
Hey guys please don't misunderstand but Oxwall Video Uploader is not the solution. We really need a plugin to upload videos on hosting. I hope "Native video upload" will be the solution one day.
Peter
Peter May 30 '16

Quote from Sypa CC (Creative Fertile) Hey guys please don't misunderstand but Oxwall Video Uploader is not the solution. We really need a plugin to upload videos on hosting. I hope "Native video upload" will be the solution one day.

Sypa +1

Agree. With FFmpeg support, for the video conversion and thumbnails. And HTML5 player.
dave Leader
dave May 30 '16
Glad you got it sorted Franz and thanks so much for sharing that info :)
zack
zack Jun 1 '16

this was the first time seeing the response . First I want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.

Dave when I initially made this thread there was a connection problem with oxwall. I wasn't sure if the post had went through because there was nothing indicating the post was submitted successful so, I tried again and again until one finally showed up. I guess the others I tried to submitted  earlier finally show up as well., So I do apologize.

Okay yes, the video uploaded seemed to be discontinue or something from oxwall. I was just asking if their was and alternative to this plugin in which my user can upload their video. 

Franz and Ross thank you for your insight I will definitely try. Franz by using your method you shared above how is it working and do the uploaded video show a thumbnail?

Ross and Dave do you guys believe there will be another video up loader plugin soon in oxwall

zack
zack Jun 1 '16

Hi Franz your input is great, How do you feel about your users having the ability to upload content to your site? Are your worry about the content, space, or bandwidth ?

I been having issues with this plugin from the very beginning. I cant tell you how difficult it was going between my hosting  and the developer because any video I uploaded the video didn't show a thumbnail.

Franz I am not a tech or coding guy but, I will try your suggestions . It is much appreciated.

dave Leader
dave Jun 1 '16

Zack, thanks for explaining that, appreciate that and np :)

When i used it i modded it so that the bar was no longer there because the bar is just eye candy anyway and really does nothing to indicated the upload rate.  That is one reason that you have to wait after the bar is 100 percent. The other reason is that it appeared to me that the system (not just the plugin but maybe the server too) was doing the upload twice, once and then again to verify or something. 

I timed it a few times and it was very close, when the bar hit 100 percent it had a certain time, and when it finally finished it was very close to almost double that time.  So i never new what was happening really, but i got rid of the bar via the css and also blocked it out in js.  

And just put a small message to the user about the upload time approximation.  

The other mod i did to it was i added some options for no loop, preload metadata, and no autoplay and in the options made sure that html5 loaded first because it was loading flash first but after ie9 you want html5 to load first then the option for flash so i put that in too.  I also added a default thumb nail for all videos since  it was not doing a thumbnail at all i just added one that showed on all of them. 

I also hosted my own video js file instead of calling the remote video js that he had in the process, it seemed to help as well.  That means that you will have to check to see if it has been updated on your own and replace the file.

hope that helps you as well. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 1 '16
dave Leader
dave Jun 1 '16
Yes with videos you can fill up your shared server space very quickly, when i had my site it did not take long at all to get to 1GB then 2 and at last count i think it was like 8Gb, miserable to backup and have to download that all the time. 
Peter
Peter Jun 2 '16
Nowadays prices of good VPS and dedicated servers are too small, for those who takes their oxwall project seriosly.

Shared hosting is not good for serious business based on Oxwall platform at all, and certainly not for video hosting.

My advice is to forget about shared hosting and purchase a cheap VPS or dedi. - make your own hosting enviroment.

Serious video uploader should support video encoding based on FFmepg, which generates thumbnails and adjusts the video to the correct format. For exmaple, if user uploads 512 Mb Mpeg video, it encodes the video to 50 Mb h264 format with same quality, on the backround and delete the orig video. - It saves a lot of space and bandwitch.

But that is not possible on "shared" plans, because it takes a lot of server resources.
The Forum post is edited by Peter Jun 2 '16
zack
zack Jun 2 '16

Hey Guys..

I didn't know that a lot of people had the same issues with uploading videos wow!!!

Franz- yes I do have concern with my users uploaded content that is not own by them as well. That's why I am really thinking hard on just having my users being only able to embed videos from video sharing sites like youtube and etc but, in the back of my mind how great can a social networking site be with not allowing users to upload there video directly like most social networking site allows.

Dave- It really seems that you figure away for it to work for you. I am really not a tech or coding guy can you recommend any one who can help? 

Peter- I was going to get a dedicated server once my site is starting to pick up on users for maximum usage. Can you give any input on the size or space base on users for VPS or dedicated server?

dave Leader
dave Jun 2 '16
I personally don't think that video uploading is as big a deal breaker for a community as it was years ago. There are so many other things that you can offer to offset that.  It really is better i think that if people want to share their videos they can upload them to an actual video site like youtube or other site and then embed them on your site.

That way the video site takes the risk of the content and people are so used to doing that anyway now days.  Plus the video community has all the eye candy and tools they need for their videos so you don't have to worry about all that. And it takes up their disk space not yours. 

If i were you i would focus on other features and spend my time on marketing and building your community locally then expanding it. I think you would have better results. 

just my thoughts.. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 2 '16
I don't agree with you Dave. There were so many adverts especially with skadate that promise a better "facebook" community script. If we have a basic video script why is it so difficult just adding an upload function? Is is so difficult to make it as Purusothaman Ramanujam did? Is it impossible to integrate that functions into the basic video script?

I want this function because everyone who wants a community website is asking for it because facebook, twiter,... have it. It is a trivial function which every community member is expecting. I don't need a big video plugin as youtube. I just want video upload function in the basic plugin. It is a little extra function but it is making a community uptodate.
dave Leader
dave Jun 3 '16
Thats fine Sypa, and i dont disagree that maybe it should have one in the core or even another plugin. However that is not the current situation and its not about to change overnight.  Maybe in time but i dont see it in the foreseeable future.  And that is the reality of it.  That is what we have to deal with.  

This is not facebook, never was and never was intended to be.  Facebook has kazillions of dollars to work with, Oxwall team does not.  I am sure when puru gets back he will do some updates.  For right now youll just have to explain to your members about the reality and that you apologize for the inconvenience but at some point it will happen.

If i website (any website) is dependent on one feature to make it or break it, then either the owner has not marketed it properly or the site has other issues. Its not all about an uploader, that was my point.  

I hope the oxwall team also understands our wishes, problems we explain and hints as a help. We want oxwall just better. I wanted to change skadate at all but oxwall is different. So I decided to make it with oxwall. Oxwall has the potential to become something great. But sometimes I get disappointed if every hint is talked down.
Pages: 1 2 3 »