We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Video Uploader | Forum

dave Leader
dave Jun 3 '16
I totally understand and respect where your coming from Sypa and im with you. Sometimes the gears here turn slowly, but they do turn.  We are all wanting a better future and stronger market place for Oxwall.  We just have to focus on the things we have and try not to get down on the things we dont have.  :)
dave Leader
dave Jun 4 '16
I am considering creating a new one, however if i do, then understand that ffmpeg will not be available for shared hosting, only vps and dedi.  Which means that shared will have a standard thumb for all videos unless i can find another solution.  The reason why is that most shared hosts turn off shell_exec for security reasons, and shell_exec is required to call the ffmpeg into action. 

VPS and Dedi you have control over shell_exec and you can turn it on or off at your discretion. So you will be able to use ffmpeg if you want to.  But i would read about the security risk of enabling shell_exec first before you do. 

Update: well i think there is another way but still some hosts turn that feature off as well. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 4 '16
Sypa CC (Creative Fertile)
Awesome news ;)
dave Leader
dave Jun 4 '16
Hi Franz, yes of course some shared hosts do.  But many do not offer that on the shared service because it eats up their disk space.  I put that comment there so that people would not expect to have it but if they do then thats great. I just dont want everyone on shared to be asking me why does ffmpeg not work. And then i would say ask your host lol. 

What i mean by that Franz is that most successful business is built locally and then expands.  So for example if your website is a dating service, then you hit every bar, every restaurant, every little diner, every grocery store and hand out your cards. Sponsor a local event, sponsor an event for the boy scouts or cub scouts. Do you know how many single moms and dads are doing the cub scout deal or soccer deal.  The name soccer mom didnt just come out of the blue ya know lol, thats where your market is.  That is how you get growth, local members then build from there. 

zack
zack Jun 5 '16

this is great I am getting so much information.

Dave you are right about marketing your site.

Questions guys if you are starting a dating site as a example, what advertisement companies you guys are going with. do to the fact Google doesn't like dating, relationship or etc sites? for adsence profits?

Also how do you guys use seo within your site like keywords?

Im in the U.S

O yeah Franz that's great to hear that your shared hosting allows the ffmpeg because as Dave said most shared hosting does not. 

dave Leader
dave Jun 5 '16
From what i understand google no longer even uses key words as part of their algarythum
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Jun 5 '16

Hi Zack!

For monetizing your website, I recommend to do it directly with your users, there are many plugins in the store which you can get more profits than advertisements with a third party company. And you keep your users inside your website, I think this is the best way to go.

zack
zack Jun 5 '16

Wow Dave, I didn't know that. I was looking in my back office for where I can place my keywords to help my seo.

Hello senior developer thanks for you input it is much appreciate it. . I was going to monetizing my website by adsence, and cpm ads and etc. Can you recommend any plugins that can aid that's in the store to add in the monetization of my site?

. Also, I am really thinking about developing a dating/social site along with just my local social community any suggestions for plugins for a dating site?

dave Leader
dave Jun 5 '16
LOL zack i can just picture you tossing your file drawers all over the floor, "now where did i put those $#$%% keywords"   :)
zack
zack Jun 5 '16

Dave im a little confused, I thought you mention that you understood google no longer even uses key words as part of their algarythum.

Also, Is there a place in the back office to place keywords in?

dave Leader
dave Jun 5 '16
Zack i was just trying to be funny is all, sorry if i confused you.   Yes google no longer uses keywords.  However if you want to use them you can put them in the custom head code portion of page settings.  

Example: 

<meta name="description" content="Free Web tutorials">
<meta name="keywords" content="HTML,CSS,XML,JavaScript">

dave Leader
dave Jun 6 '16
hey do you all care about codecs? I am adding some. If you are that technical then tell me which ones you want please.  I already have mp 1 2 3  and real audio and wma, what else do you want?  
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jun 6 '16
Here's a link to the top 10 codecs. Have a look. It appears to cover them.

http://imagenevp.com/top-10-video-formats/
ross Team
ross Jun 7 '16
Topic was moved from General Questions.
dave Leader
dave Jun 13 '16
OK folks im getting close i know youll love this deal... but i have a question... i got the html5 support going but i need a backup player because it only plays webm and mp4 vids. So i checked out:

mplayer - too bloody complicated

jwplayer, no go, you have to pay for using it.

flowplayer - no go same deal

And the others i dont trust. 

So really my only other option especially if we want to play flv files is to use flashplayer and swfObject (which is old and not being developed anymore)  but still works.  

If you want to play flv files and you have another solution let me know here ok, if not i will try to do the flash deal.  

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 13 '16
dave Leader
dave Jun 13 '16
Thanks, videojs is already running, the plan is to have a few more options for those that do not have ffmpeg so they are not bound by just webm or mp4.  I dont have any issues for those that have ffmpeg, there are a ton of options for them. Its the non ffmpeg folks that i would like to at least give them a swf or flv option. 

also remember that ogg-ogv-and webm cannot always play with html5 because they are not always video/webm /ogg or /ogv file types, many of them are application/octet-stream which html5 will reject

Sypa CC (Creative Fertile)
HTML5 (with MP4 etc) and ffmpeg is the best solution for upload solutions. FLV is dying and I don't know how long it will be supported. I think you should concentrate on HTML5 solutions because it is the best supported way on most divices (and browsers). For everything else there's the alternative "Oxwall Video Uploader (Youtube Proxy)".
dave Leader
dave Jun 13 '16
Good point sypa, i forgot about that option, i know i cant make everyone happy but im trying lol.. 

Thanks Tammy also good info... I am up to my bald spot in documentation here and every time i think i have the perfect plan, i read a page that says whoopp cant do that :(

ffmpeg is already integrated so no turning back now.   Also i decided that you must have ffmpeg 2.0+ or php5.4+ to save me from having to support legacy commands that are deprecated. 

dave Leader
dave Jun 13 '16
ffmpeg will do both, but your saying that for those that want to save time by not having to convert it twice they also use handbrake right.  Might also just be possible to add an option to run ffmpeg twice in one go and do both. 

OK so ill forget about the flash for now, and just have the videojs running.  The other problem is that there is no test for html5, you have to test for a specific feature.  But since most browsers will do mp4 for the non ffmpeg then i guess thats good enough.   Those with ffmpeg have no worries they can do pretty much what they want. 

dave Leader
dave Jun 13 '16
All the reason that one day there should be just a handful of codecs and file types instead of the kazillion there are now. I think there must have been like a codec frenzy at one time and every manufacturer must have been making there own because there are tons of them.  But as long as its in the ffmpeg main library, its covered.   Now i have to learn the options for thumbnail :)  i have an example just have to learn the code 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »