We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Looking for a good developer to take over Purusothaman Ramanujam's plugins | Forum

Omari
Omari Aug 15 '16
Purusothaman Ramanujam has some plugins that need updates and tweaking to be compatible with the latest Oxwall updates.

I am looking for a developer who can work with me on at least two of these plugins: Files and Files for Groups.

I will send the base plugins to you. and you can do the updates.

Purus has abandoned his Oxwall projects and is no longer with us.

dave Leader
dave Aug 15 '16
Hi, 

I dont think you will find a developer who will touch another developers files.  It is a cloudy area at times but some developers might consider that a bit on the unethical side. 

Plus the fact that if he is gone, which i agree with you he probably is, then eventually Oxwall may shut down his store and your plugin will not be any good anyway.  So dont spend more money on a plugin that may not be valid in the future. 

I understand your frustration Omari, but you are better off to wait to see what new plugins from "dependable" developers arrive in the store and just watch for a replacement to the one you have.  That is the best way to do it. 

Best of luck 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 15 '16

" So dont spend more money on a plugin that may not be valid in the future. "

How should I and many other knows what plugins have developers that not run away after some years? 

Like SD said there is no clear plugin support rules to follow in this store and there is the big problem with this store.... but it can bee fixed with some good support rules! 

Some people have bring up many suggestions but still no response from the oxwall team

And i say it again ; i fully understand nobody want to working for free update many plugins. im willing pay some money for upgrades but i not willing pay same plugins that show up with another user that is bad way to earn money and they who doing that should bee movie stars not developers because we who buy plugins understand what is ethical and none ethical way to earn money and to hide behind a fake profile with a list of already made plugin that this developer want earn new money again on is no good way doing it. (he can pass his plugin over to a real profile on oxwall to and get some money doing that) many ways to doing this in a unethical way.

But i know there is a dead rat here and the team hide something...if the team would not hide something they should bee more open about this famous developer that have leave all his plugin and explain what will happen with his plugins in the store many of the plugins are very usefull and make oxwall look like a great software so i think it is in they interest to keep his plugins here not only we buyers interest

And the best is if someone from the team answer this question because they who is the boss here! 

I not want his plugin go away i just want to know what will happen with his plugin and will we see any support rules in the store that they who sell plugins need to following? and maybe some developers want money for upgrade plugin and that is maybe only way to make all happy and that is okey for me as long i get quality updates and quality plugins for my business

i will look if someone answer this later...good night oxwallers!

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 15 '16
Omari
Omari Aug 15 '16
My website is a  business, not a hobby. Open source development is my team.

There is no wait and see when a business is running and people are depending on it.

I need someone to update the plugin because the database and associations with files have already been established.

Oxwall claims that its software can serve a multitude of projects, yet there are no large scale successful sites that use Oxwall as their core.

My site will be the first. As such I need open source and dynamic support.

There are a lot of hobby sites. A wait and see attitude may be ok if you are using Oxwall for fun. But this direct lack of intervention by both Oxwall and the community in situations like this, is why we can have no continuity of  progress to use Oxwall as the core of any main stream commercial website solution.

I am trying to be the first to create a large scale business site with Oxwall as my core.

Therefor I am seeking developers who I can work with. There must be continuity in existing plugins or else we will be re-inventing the wheel every time and no startup company has the resources for that. And user data will be massively affected.

The Forum post is edited by Omari Aug 16 '16
Omari
Omari Aug 15 '16
For prospective developers, I  can send you the existing plugin files and you can expand on them because the plugins and file associations are already integrated into the database.
dave Leader
dave Aug 15 '16
Omari, i understand your frustration and yours as well marcus. 

However this is the way of the world when it comes to open source coding.  What if the developer dies, its no different if they just walk away.  They still own the rights to the code, it is still their code.  When you purchase a plugin you purchase the right to use it but it does not belong to you. Those rights always remain with the developer. 

So what will happen is that in time when Oxwall feels that sufficient effort has been made in order to justify the action, they will probably close down his store or suspend it or take if offline. And all of the plugins will go with it.  Yes this means that no more updates, no more anything for that plugin.  And if i am correct ( i do not know this for sure) the plugins will no longer function due to no valid license. 

This is because that code you are using still belongs to puru, not you.  It falls under intellectual property, and that property still belongs to puru or any developer, alive, dead, abandoned, whatever the case it is still thiers not yours.  

This is why when and if the store is shut down, the code will go with it. And this is why myself and any other good developer that i know of would not touch that code to expand on it or modify it for a customer because it is unethical to do so and good developers live and die by their reputation for following ethical protocol.  

As much as it bothers me to say this and i am very very sorry that you are in this situation and i know sorry does not cut the mustard but that is the situation and this happens with every single open source community on the market, not just Oxwall.  I do not know why Puru decided to take off, i wish i did, i thought of him as a friend and also a professional, so i am sad that he took this route. But we have to face the facts of the matter and those facts are that the codes belongs to him not you. 

Now also remember that things dont happen quick with Oxwall, they do happen and they happen when they can happen.  Again please dont think that Oxwall sits around 24/7 working 8 hours a day solving issues, my "assumption" from experience is that this is not the case.  Some developers are volunteers, some work part time, some do work 8 hours or more such as ross but that is more administrative than developerment in nature.   I assume they have monthly meetings where they discuss items but they are a small foundation and a small team and there are only so many hours of work to get things done and it takes time.. 

Example:  People have been asking for SEO for a long time, it finally happend.  

This is the case with the store as well, i have been assured that certain things will take place when sufficient time has elapsed in order to follow internal rules and decisions and i am confident it will happen.  

Again i understand your frustration and i am very sorry for it, i wish things were different and it bothers me greatly what has happened, to you, to everyone, and to his presense when it comes to his support.  I am making attempts to try to turn the store around but that also is not an overnight project.  

My advise to you Omari again is to wait to see what happens, i know its hard but as i said any developer that would touch puru's files is not any developer i would want coding for mysite.  And i would hate to see you end up in a worse situation because you had some unethical hack mess things up because you wanted to save a few bucks on a plugin. 

Enforceable rules will come, give it time to work out please... 

Also i would advise those using his plugins, in an obundance of caution, to maybe start to ween your users off of his plugins slowly so that if it happens you are prepared to deal with things. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 15 '16
ross Team
ross Aug 15 '16
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Aug 15 '16

If I may, Omari, Dave, Marcus, I would like to say just a little thing here.

When you buy a piece of code (plugin, theme or anything else), you buy it under a license, that license says if the buyer is allowed to make custom modifications or not. In special cases the user can buy a special license that allows him to make custom modifications and resell the full code. But here is not the case.

That been said, first thing first, with the OSCL license (Oxwall Store Commercial License) and the "Terms of Use" of your plugin that you bought, are you allowed to make custom modifications to the plugin code?

If so, then he can hire a developer who can make the custom modifications for him, and he have to pay for all the work (the full cost of all hours developing). The developer that makes the changes cannot resell the plugin, neither can the one that bought the code in first place. 

Now, the price of custom modifications is a lot higher than wait and buy a new plugin from another developer. The buyer will not have updates included in the price, and if the original developer of the plugin make a new update, all the changes made by the customization will be overwritten.

Omari, I think that you already know all of that, and you are aware that you are going to pay for that customization and that's it, if stops working in the next oxwall core update, you will have to pay again to for another customization... and you know that the price/hour of a good developer is not really cheap, right? Then again, are you willing to pay the full bill for the time that the developer spend customizing the plugin for you?

For what I'm reading, I think that Omari is trying to hire a developer to fix his existing plugin (customizing code). Nothing else.

All that is only if the OSCL license and the "Terms of Use" of that plugin allows the buyer to customize it.

I'm new here so I may be wrong.

Please Dave, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Aug 16 '16
dave Leader
dave Aug 16 '16
Hi SD...  you have good words SD..  My understanding of the OSCL is that it is a general license, and in being a general license it is not specific in many areas.   I dont remember reading one way or the other when i read it awhile back.  However each developer can also attached a TOU (Terms OF Use) with their plugins.  Mine says that they are not to modify the code at all and that the code belongs to me and they are only paying for the right to use the code but they do not own it.  

The reason i do not want them to modify the code is because i dont want to have to spend my time fixing their mistakes and or troubleshooting someone elses mistakes.  If they are my mistakes i will fix them. But i wont spend my time trying to fix something that someone else did which is not part of my original code. 

I totally agree with you regarding the expense of what he is wanting to do.  It would be much more expensive to have someone else fix it than it would be to just wait for another plugin.  He will end up spending money to pay for someone to fix it, then it will be pulled from the store and then it will not work anyway even with the new changes because the license will be invalid. So he will be wasting his money.  

As i said it is a sad thing to have happened but it has happend and we all have to deal with it.  And how you deal with it is you ween your customers off of purus plugins and then find a new plugin.  That is the way of the world in open source and nothing will ever change that.  

SD i will need to reread that to see what it says but from what i remember it was not clear at all which is why i came up with my own TOU.. 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 16 '16
"The reason i do not want them to modify the code is because i dont want to have to spend my time fixing their mistakes and or troubleshooting someone elses mistakes.  If they are my mistakes i will fix them. But i wont spend my time trying to fix something that someone else did which is not part of my original code."

I can understand this fully, but if you was leave you plugin like this developer and other have done and still the oxwall team no take action and delete him from the store then i need do something quickly before my business totally go down to the grave. I can not sit on my fat as and wait for someone will create a almost same plugin i need do FAST actions.

And i see it hard for understand that from some developers here that you need have things happen fast before you business go under. because some of the plugins are bring up you business to the lights

here is everything build up on slow actions and that is not a way to bee succesfull maybe when you 80 years old you have success

what is saying here you terms Dave should bee breaken after 3- 6 months no reply and no support so we other can have same success with out you here in the store with you plugins and we hire someone update them so our business not go under.

i have never buy any of you plugins yet Dave my site would not go under no have them but maybe for someone it would bee a BIG down time on his business if you still here but no response or upgrade you plugins and nobody can modify them

and last i know you would not leave you plugins Dave but it was just a sample i was bring up to this discussion

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 16 '16
Omari
Omari Aug 16 '16
Guys I'm fully aware that i need to pay a new developer and establish a support relationship with them. There is no such thing as a reliable developer in Oxwall besides probably its founder Skafla.

When all is said and done, developers forfeit whatever licence and good faith agreements they have when they are unethical and stop providing support and updates.

So there really is no issue here. I need a developer to customize code and do additions to the existing plugin as is required and I am willing to pay for that. In Terms to be agreed by a prospective developer.

It's all about solving problems. So I'm waiting to hear from developers and the Oxwall Core can also offer their input, but I see no core team member active on forums again besides Ross.
dave Leader
dave Aug 16 '16

Quote from Omari There is no such thing as a reliable developer in Oxwall besides probably its founder Skafla.
Well i was going to offer you some good advice but since you seem to have included me and other good developers into your wide brush comment above. In which i find insulting to myself and others, then i will forgoe that and just say "its your money, if you want to blow it then blow it"  im done here, i have nothing more i want to or am required to contribute. 
Omari
Omari Aug 16 '16
I talk from my experience Dave. I don't know that you are a developer.

If something happens to you. Is there someone to take over your work? Are you backed by a team of professionals that can achieve that continuity?

If you want to take offense to a brush statement out of context that's your prerogative. 

Everyone considered Purusothaman Ramanujam to be reliable, and the reality is a one man team is not reliable and can be victim to personal circumstance. 

The Forum post is edited by Omari Aug 16 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 16 '16
There is no backups if a developer leaving and it worse more if developers like Dave implement terms that make it not possible take over the plugin and upgrade the plugin.

Because his profile maybe still here at oxwall store but the plugins would bee not upgrade and who knows how long he or another developer would stay here just for keep no other people use they plugins even that they decided to leave the ship and this is not good for oxwall as a software platform and no good for skadate as a dating platform with dead plugins in the store that nobody can upgrade or modify 

I see only one reason puri have his profile here it is because he still want have the license to his plugins but he not want update them. so offcourse he care about his plugins but not the people that did buy them

If i honest no developer here want to share they plugins to oxwall when they leave this store....thats the reason profile are not deleted even the developers have stopped updated his or her plugins. 

I was ask ross about this and he say it is possible delete the license for a plugin and take over it fully IF the developer profile is deleted from the store

Again i think there need bee better support rules about plugins in the store, this is see the only way to get rid of many problems in the store. I hope some support rules will bee implemented that tell what happen when a developers stop update and respond to customers. i know there is many suggestions here and some people tired bring them up over and over again and i fully understand that if no action will bee taken

And Dave i take you as a "sample" here not saying you will leave oxwall or stop update you plugins i know you will not do that.... Puri was a great developer and he could ....so you should ask you self can other great developer do the same he did?

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Aug 16 '16

Omari, what you really need is to make your own office and hire a team to make your own plugins that belongs to you.

Hiring an external team you will be finding them to be "not reliable" too, because if they stop considering your needs the priority for their business or even worst, they stop working for you because they do not longer offer such service, you will be having the same problem that you are facing right now.

Marcus,

You are paying for what you get, and you agree the Terms of Use of each plugin that you buy (you can read it before buy). 

The prices in the store are really low, making a plugin doesn't take 1 hour of development, and when I look people complaining for a $20 bucks calling it a expensive plugin, I think that they don't know the real price of a full development and the cost of making it all. So if you want a code that you want to customize and the developer don't let you to modify, you have 3 options: 

1.- Buy it for a cheap price under that terms.

2.- Ask the developer if you can get a license where you can modify the code and how much that would cost.

3.- Hire to someone who developes a plugin only for you.

Each one option haves different cost and can be done right now, and the last one is the most expensive, because is the work done only for you and normally the one person/team that makes the code owns the rights even if he make it only for you. That's how software development works in all over the world, not just oxwall, I think that all of you know that.

About the support, I'm working right now in something that hopes that everybody likes, it will take some time, if everything goes according to planned, in the end it will worth the wait. I would love to tell you what it is Marcus, but It's a surprise and I'm sure that you are going to love it.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Aug 16 '16
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 16 '16
>>> About the support, I'm working right now in something that hopes that everybody likes, it will take some time, if everything goes according to planned, in the end it will worth the wait. I would love to tell you what it is Marcus, but It's a surprise and I'm sure that you are going to love it. <<<

Great SD for doing that on you free time for free, we need some good support rules in the store that get benefits to both parts for have a quality store with happy developers and happy buyers and many successful oxwall platforms that earn money and can spend it here in the store more and spend money here on developers for make new projects. SD i very analytic and go deep in everything and i always honest in what i saying and i hard to agree with ideas sometimes but there is not impossible to convince if there is a very great idea :-) And i know you are a great smart developer here so i looking forward on you support terms later :-)

And it is not only me who need like the terms all People in this community need to like them :-) But i think you can come up with some great ideas that is much better then no support rules at all.

keep us updated, very interesting :-)

Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Sep 3 '16

I am one of those who have Copt most plugin here.

I see a bad thing with Store and developers. It's that they do not seek to entrust their plugin to other developers, when they decided to stop delivering more work on their plugin / finished up their project. I have made this before and think the same today, if not more convinced that a rule must be added for developers of plug.

All developers of plug should have been required to hand over their plugin projects to other active developers, if they will not or can develop / update their plug more.

Can not possibly be a difficult rule change as most should agree!

How it works now, so contributing plug-anaki and this mess in Store for rising dissatisfaction and contributes to smaller purchases and declining support from users and buyers.

Clean up the rules, contribute to stability and development. No excuse to simply walk away from the plugin project, when it can stand developers ready to take over them.

Plugin which I purchased from Purusothaman Ramanujam

Profile Avatar with Webcam

Advanced Poker

Photos Watermark

Play Online Games

Invite Friends By Email

Notifications Wall

Admin Tools

PayPal Donate

User IP Tracker

Youtube Auto-Poster

Site Tour

Forum Signature

Forum Subscriptions

Forum List for Groups

Files for Groups

MessageAll

Customize Profile / Dashboard based on User Role

Make Profile Picture

Popup Video Player

VideoPlus - Advanced Video Plugin

RSS Reader

PhotoStudio

So maybe you get one different view on this. Sure I be frustrated when I suddenly no longer getting value for all the money I have invested. And of course I become sour when plugin developers just give dam shit in their buyers who have supported them for several years to just leave the ship without further ado. No responsibility to see from the developers, or!

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Sep 3 '16
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Sep 4 '16
Omari, it seems that since you are willing to hire developers, why not hire developers to just recreate the FUNCTION of those plugins, rather than update the plugins themselves?

Seems to me that this is the most logical move forward, especially if you are planning to create a very large, successful site. That way, you and your developers will have complete control over the code, can code it to specific standards, comment it for other developers and teams as you move forward, and etc.
Omari
Omari Sep 5 '16
Yup you make a lot of sense, people have been saying similar things, I guess when the site grows and we can afford to build from scratch , that will be the avenue to explore. For now though, there are a lot of functions we paid for i.e. plugins that aren't being updated and just need minor tweaks to function well. So these minor tweaks are what I'm willing to pay for at this point. If we getting funding I can afford to start from scratch, (we also have the problem of the database associations and users loosing their files, hence why updates to the existing architecture are really necessary
Miss Nookie
Miss Nookie Sep 5 '16
Ah. I see.

Fair enough. *smiles*
Pages: 1 2 »