We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Bluehost doesn't support | Forum

Timothy
Timothy Apr 14 '17
I bought Bluehost hosting service this morning, tried to do their one click install and it didn't work. Rather than give up, I've spent the last 12 hours trying to get Oxwall to install manually(500'd), I finally got their support chat and was just told they aren't compatible with Oxwall. I think I can install an older version if I could find the install files. Is there a repository of older versions?
I just can't afford to wait a week for my refund from Bluehost in order to find a host that actually supports Oxwall, I bought from them because I was trying to support this site with the referral fee.
Scam Detector
Scam Detector Apr 15 '17

1.- Download the oxwall core

2.- Unzip it and upload the files to your server via FTP

3.- Download the installer

4.- Unzip it, rename the directory to "ow_install" and upload it via FTP

5.- Go to your www.mywebsite.com and follow the instructions to install.

Here you can find different versions of Oxwall Core
https://github.com/oxwall/oxwall/releases

Choose the version that you need 1.8.3 supports PHP 5.4 and below. 1.8.4 and higher supports PHP 5.5 and higher.

Here is the Installer, it works for all Oxwall Core versions:

https://github.com/oxwall/install/releases

The Forum post is edited by Scam Detector Apr 15 '17
Timothy
Timothy Apr 15 '17

Quote from Scam Detector

1.- Download the oxwall core

2.- Unzip it and upload the files to your server via FTP

3.- Download the installer

4.- Unzip it, rename the directory to "ow_install" and upload it via FTP

5.- Go to your www.mywebsite.com and follow the instructions to install.

Here you can find different versions of Oxwall Core
https://github.com/oxwall/oxwall/releases

Choose the version that you need 1.8.3 supports PHP 5.4 and below. 1.8.4 and higher supports PHP 5.5 and higher.

Here is the Installer, it works for all Oxwall Core versions:

https://github.com/oxwall/install/releases

I've tried that all the way back to ver. 1.7.1, currently they aren't supporting any of their one-click installs. kind of crappy since this was the reason I chose them. I'm online with "technical support" right now for the second day, maybe it will eventually work. I know this is a hosting problem and not specifically an Oxwall problem, but I chose them because, the hosting page listed them as an affiliate that would work.

Scam Detector
Scam Detector Apr 16 '17
If you look at your apache error log file, you will see what is the problem.

Post the last lines of that file, I can help you to find the issue.

Timothy
Timothy Apr 16 '17
I'm trying to install with support from multiple venues. Bluehost finally came through with an install of 1.7.5, they don't support newer versions(I wish I knew before I paid). Unfortunately I caused the next problem I tried to update the groups, and now anytime I login to the Admin Page I get this:

Platform update request

The source code of 'Groups' plugin was updated. Need to update plugin DB.

I can't update the platform without the 500 error, and when I click the button to update plugin DB, I get a blank page. I'm stopped again.
I just wish Oxwall and Bluehost would have worked together as well as they both advertised they did before I had spent my money.

Timothy
Timothy Apr 16 '17
And thank you for the suggestion. that is never said enough in any forum.

I've searched for solutions and most involve updating the core. I'm obviously afraid of doing this because I tried before and got a 500 error until Bluehost support installed version 1.7.5 for me.
If this involves deleting files and replacing, I can do. Anything els I may need specific instructions. This is new to me.
Scam Detector
Scam Detector Apr 16 '17

Do a full backup of your server so you can go back in case something goes wrong.

Here is all blogs versions, donwload the compatible with 

core-1.7.5

https://github.com/oxwall/blogs/releases

Unzip and replace the files of the plugin on your server.

For more plugins:

Here you can find all free plugins and free themes made by oxwall team:

https://github.com/oxwall

1.- Clic on the plugin that you need

2.- Clic on "releases"

3.- Download the zip compatible with your core version

4.- Upload with your oxwall control panel or unzip it and upload it via ftp

5.- Install

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Apr 17 '17
Timothy

I can tell you it is a nightmare this days to install you oxwall website on many host.

I just install my site on A2 server and that was a nightmare i will never forget.

A2 not support oxwall at this DATE we speak and i was need hire a oxwall coder for helping me solve all the issues that comes up in the server error log and there was many PHP modules that was missing all the time and many toher things and i was need OFF COURSE the first thing i have to do revert back to PHP 5.6 because oxwall not supports PHP 7 yet so check that first

I suggest you hire someone help you because it will show up many errors if the server is not setup correctly and the issues is the time it takes setup all things with ticket support only is frustrating .

it took me 5 days with help from A2 support and oxwall coder to setup my website correct on A2 worst nightmare i ever have. The guy i was hire was fast but the problem is for they change things on the server takes times and you always find new issues and new things you need add. so if you have patient 4 or 5 days for setup you website correct with they support help then you can do it but it is frustrating work and i not a very patient guy i was loosing alot of money this 5 days i will never forget it and i will never migrate my website to another host before i see they have add all modules that i need and many other things. and on all this changes they server was have a error that they was need to solve that my developer manage to find and only that issue was taken me 2 days to solve.

and A2 was from start ignore all requirements that i need so i need force them add all requirements that they was think i not need, they support was not good at all and very slow. the slowest ticket and chat support i ever have and not help you find the issues you need fidn them you self and then they will analyze and add what you need.

if you new at oxwall i suggest you use a host that support oxwall software and let they install your software and do the server upgrades that needs. But you can always hire someone help you that have skills in oxwall same i did but you need PAY him money and you loosing alot of time if the host support is SLOW like A2 support was.

A2 cheap but not support oxwall and very slow support and not want help you you have to find the problem you self and tell them fix them or add the things you need. If bluehost have fast support maybe you can solve it much faster with someone that good a oxwall coding and understand how the software works fully.

With all this said try this plugin if you manage to get you site up with admin panel access https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1356

i have not test the plugin my self so i not sure if it is working or not....

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Apr 17 '17
Timothy
Timothy Apr 17 '17
I did get it installed, and running now. Just cant use the latest version yet. I'm installing version by version manually to see how close I can get to the latest version. Thanks again for the help!
Rick
Rick Apr 18 '17
I use Winyourhosting.com and the latest version installed beautifully. I am getting ready to put an ssl certificate on it and will let you know if everything goes in perfectly too.
Locofans
Locofans Jun 5 '17
Our company just partnered with a web hosting company in the US name Croodly Hosting "https://croodly.com",  we've tested the Oxwall installation and it works flawlessly.
We are migrating our site over because they offers Free SSL certificates for all they clients.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 5 '17
Free SSL is good :)and all host should offer this, if not they digging they graves for the future....

I will check Croodly Hosting....do they have servers placed only in US ?

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 5 '17
just checked it out and nothing special about this hosting company only anohter hosting company in the big sea of hosting companys

i could not see vps or decicated plans or cloud. i did see only shared basic plans

Locofans
Locofans Jun 5 '17
I know they offer VPS hosting, I don't know if they offer Dedicated servers. Perhaps you are right OW-Ghost, another hosting company in the big sea, which so far have helped us a lot with our customers hosting issues. I believe they servers are located in the US only.

They unpopularity is what perhaps makes them great :). As web designers we are looking for a secure and stable platform to host our clients, and most of our clients are located in the US.

Well, I hope you'll find the right hosting for your Oxwall site.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 6 '17
I use A2 now and they support was not good specially chat support. and ticket support response 1 day. but they have great price and servers in asia to that why i like that host company in the US. but they have no support for oxwall or skadate you need do the work you self for make the site working there.

I feel small host company can close any time so i not sure i would try such company for my websites. but if you think they will never do go for it and make the small companys grow :)

Well, I hope you hosting business and designer business will bee a success and that you grows and win over the bigger guys in the US :)

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jun 6 '17
Locofans
Locofans Jun 6 '17
Well yes, small hosting companies tend to disappear after a while. But most hosting companies started small at some point in time. We support are own Oxwall sites, and if you don't mind me asking, what kind of issues did you ran into so far?

We fixed all major issues we had with our Oxwall sites. Perhaps we can help you..
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 6 '17
I have no issues now only speed issues that i fighting with and i have try contact skadate see if they can help me speed up my website something is make my site very slow right now compare to my other skadate websites that i use and we need figure it out what it is . if they can not help me maybe i will contact you to look at it ...thanks for the help
Locofans
Locofans Jun 6 '17
No problem.

Btw, what is your site URL?
The Forum post is edited by Locofans Jun 6 '17
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 7 '17
i not like share my URLs in public :) if i need help i will contact you...thanks again :)