We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email verification delivery time 6 minuts! | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost May 31 '17
Hello

Is ther anyone notice that the email delivery time for the verification email is always 6 minuts or more?

It is because the oxwall software is have the email verification emails in a queue that is set to 5 minuts as default and then the cron job that is set on 1 minuts will send out the email so it will always bee 6 minuts for the emails LEAVE the oxwall software.

Finaly afte 3 years i find that oxwall software is the BREAK for my customers get they profiles evrified quickly and that i loosing customers because they not ready waiting that time for sign up to my website.

You need add this 6 minuts with your SMTP server time to so it can bee up to 7 minuts before the verification email is arrives!

I have talk with the TEAM about this and they say they will not fix this issue because nobody complaint about it so now i would like to know how many at oxwall is feel this is a issue and would like to have a fix for this?

my suggestion is 

separating verification emails from depending on CRON in case of enabled SMTP and NOT queue the verification email for send out immediatly from oxwall software. the other emails could bee in a queue in 5 minuts i not really care but just this email is very importen have a fast delivery time.

Shaun
Shaun Jun 1 '17
Whenever I have signed up for a test account on my own site I have usually got my email confrimation email straight away .

Can't say I have noticed it being a big problem for me.

I use the email verify topbar plugin alongside email verification though so visitors can still see my site and use it for a few days before the site blocks them from exploring until verified.
Scam Detector
Scam Detector Jun 1 '17

I think the verification emails are sent right away, no cron job involved.

My verification emails are received almost instantly. That's why I said that.

Maybe your problem is in the server mail queue, if your server is sending a lot of emails, the emails stays in the email queue until are delivered as soon as possible (depending on your mail server settings).

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 1 '17

ow_system_plugins/base/cron.php

Line: $this->addJob('mailQueueProcess', 5);

5 stands for every 5 minutes. 

I think you 2 guys have not SMTP enabled thats why fast delivery?

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jun 1 '17
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 1 '17
I have set the queue to 1 minut now and my "verification email" delivery time was go from 6-7 minutes to 1-2 minuts.

But i not happy with 1-2 minuts delivery time, many sites have delivery time under 60 seconds and i could never have that with cron involved , this only this email should send out immediately not with cron. 

The rest of the emails can bee in a 5 minuts queue for not overload the cpu at your host server. but this only this email should have lightning speed and this my opinion. waiting customers are never happy and you will loose some that not patient and that is not good

(ps: you guys and girls that change this setting to 1 minut could have bigger server load on the cpu if you have alot of emails sending out every minut have that in mind)

Maybe someone clould create a plugin that speed up ONLY the verification email and bypass this queue and cronjob that would bee nice! and very useful plugin for many here at oxwall

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Jun 1 '17
Hi OW-Ghost!

If you know how to edit PHP code, try this:

In the file "ow_core\mailer.php" Replace this:

public function send( BASE_CLASS_Mail $mail )    

{        

if ( $this->maliService->getTransfer() == BOL_MailService::TRANSFER_SMTP )        

{            

$this->maliService->addToQueue($mail);       

}        

else

{           

$this->maliService->send($mail);           

}    

}    

With this:

public function send( BASE_CLASS_Mail $mail )

{

$this->maliService->send($mail);

}

As you can see, if smtp is enabled, the mail is added to the queue. So we removed these lines so the verification emails are sent right away.

I don't know if making these changes you may have any kind of problem with your smtp server or why did it is added to the queue when smtp is enabled.

Hope it helps.

Senior Developer.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Jun 1 '17
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 1 '17
Wow nice help :-)

Yes i think this would send ALL emails right away when have smtp enabled?

I not sure to why they have made up this queue when use smtp?

The only answer i get from the TEAM is if i lower the queue time i could have higher server load if my site send out many emails at the same time?

Why that happens i can not explain? but they was told me this

I think you PHP code is awsome i need to test it :)

Senior Developer Leader
There is 2 ways to send mail, if you see the code inside skeleton plugin:

Method 1: Inmediatly

OW::getMailer()->send($mail);

Method 2: Add to queue

OW::getMailer()->addToQueue($mail);

The ones sent with method 1, are sent inmediatly if smtp is disabled, if smtp is enabled then are added into the queue, if you edit the code as I said in last post, verification emails are sent right away when smtp is enabled too.

The emails that are not priority use method 2, those emails are added into the queue always (smtp enabled and disabled). Almost all plugins use method 2 so your server doesn't overload.

The Forum post is edited by Senior Developer Jun 1 '17
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 1 '17
Yes i think you solved it :)

Now everyone with SMTP enabled can have better delivery time when email verification is send out from they websites.

My new customers will bee very happy have they verification email delivered immediately not in a 5 minuts queue and i think you helped many here, nice work :)

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 1 '17
What a boost to my website wth the code you gave me SD, i did just try it.

Now verification email have delivery time 10 seconds with SMTP enabled :-)

From 7 minuts to 10 seconds delivery with SMTP that is what i call a nice boost for oxwall and skadate :-)

I will do the final test with my IOS app and Android APP i not sure they use METHOD 1 for verification email?

(I did set back QUEUE time to 5 minuts because i think that is okey setting for the plugin that need use the QUEUE for send out emails.)

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jun 1 '17
I confirmed that PHP code did working with my Android and IOS app. 

5-10 sec delivery =)

Thanks for the fix =)

Senior Developer Leader
Hi OW-Ghost!

You are welcome. Is good to know that is working. Please keep an eye on these emails in case something happens. Because I don't know why the email was added to the queue and in case something happens please let us know too.

Senior Developer.