We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Fatal error which lead to business crash | Forum

Yevhen
Yevhen Sep 19 '17
Hey, guys!
I have some fresh story how I used this nice CMS in order to host 1500 users and 300 viewers per day. Will be short.
By yesterday evening I had 1500 users and today I lost almost 75% of them. They were very loyal. They tried to use my site without some main features. They excused me for some really stupid bugs/ But yesterday I made a fatal error. I wanted to inform people about new updates on our website, about some optimization, about special bots which are collecting job offers and repost them to our newsfeed, about new design... I have created a mail and used core function MASS MAILING.... I have chosen all the users and pressed SEND... That night my website killed my growing business... This buggy script has sent 32(!!!) same mails to EACH user WITH WRONG NAMES(!!!)... I have received a lot of angry mails about that I DONOT respect users and they will leave the project. This is the second fatal project.... First one I lost after 2 years work... This project had 1,2 years old. I have wasted so much time and about 1000$ for such.... You know...During this night my IP and my domain have been blocked by all the SPAM filters of all mail providers and my users gone.

So now I'm building my project on Django.

My review on CMS
Pluses:
- partly free
- customizable
- easy to use
- a lot of tutorials

Minuses:
- really heavy (1500 users needs minimum 2GB RAM on VPS)
- missing main functions
- critical bugs
- bad optimization
- no support  from 90% devs
- fatal errors on large scale users
- possible killing of Your hard work and business

Thank You guys..
The Forum post is edited by Yevhen Sep 19 '17
Shaun
Shaun Sep 20 '17
Same problem occuring on my site. I am trying to find someone to stop the site sending any notifications because it also send details of other users email addresses.

Its a big problem for me and my members privacy
ArtMedia
ArtMedia Sep 20 '17
using oxwall ip your server can be classified as SPAM, i recommend using externall newsletter services like https://mailchimp.com/.

This is safer method, Oxwall don't have good mail rates limits, oxwall send 50 mails per 5 minutes default, so if you have many users, then when you send thousand mails per day, your ip  be classified as SPAM
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Sep 20 '17
I use mailchimp and mandrill smtp service i would recommend it the same...
Quote from ArtMedia using oxwall ip your server can be classified as SPAM, i recommend using externall newsletter services like https://mailchimp.com/.

This is safer method, Oxwall don't have good mail rates limits, oxwall send 50 mails per 5 minutes default, so if you have many users, then when you send thousand mails per day, your ip  be classified as SPAM