We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Plugin Burnout | Forum

dave Leader
dave Sep 24 '17
Well folks i tried my best to avoid this but im totally burned out.  I know i made promises and at the time i thought i could achieve my goals, but my mind is kicking my butt right now and its the boss of me. 

I feel horrible every day that i cant get things done for the people that i promised plugin updates but i have to take some time away.  Totally away from coding and not even think about it.  If i dont it is going to get to the point that ill never come back and i dont want that.

I hope you understand... i am sorry!

Thanks for everything 

dave :)

The Forum post is edited by dave Sep 24 '17
Steve
Steve Sep 26 '17
Dave you need to take care of number one and I do know you have been fighting some health issues.

So my friend take care of yourself and get better. See you when you get back.

Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Oct 6 '17
Okay dave...Get some rest hopefully in time we will get those updates
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Oct 7 '17
take a rest dave and then come back with more power :-)

something else that was come up in my mind.......

how many developers are really VERY active on oxwall ? i fell it like 10% that are really very active ?

so the 90% are in some zoombie mode.....and some going from zoombie to completly dead

maybe i wrong and did have nothing to do with that dave need take a rest it was just come up in my mind because he is one of the very active here at oxwall plugin store :) 

anyways we know it will no bee better it will bee the same i just can not stop bring it up maybe i sick to and need a rest from this crazy plugin store  :)

because our opinion about the store is never make any changes..

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Oct 7 '17
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Jan 9 '18
Hi Dave,

I see slowly you're updating your plugins but can you please consider o-Store as well as a priority on your updates as it has many issues and i really use this plugin or rather want to use it but with too many issues that i mentioned its a problem for me, i know its been 2 years i bought it from you and you said you will...Please consider
dave Leader
dave Jan 10 '18
yes webster the next one on the list is the ostore, i am taking a small breather to get mentally recharged then ill do the ostore.  

I may do some very small ones between that time as they only take a few lines of code to update them.  

But the next big one is def ostore.... i will get it done... 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 10 '18
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jan 10 '18
webster i started ignore all developers at oxwall store and fix all issues that the plugin have with hire a third part developer much faster done and you not need begging because i done that for many of this developers but i stopped do it...if i see a plugin error i hire some other developr fix it and then the original developer can take his holiday forever if he wants who cares i will not begging more. about dave i have no plugins from dave only one and it have worked perfect always with no issues so i can not complain to him about anything. take the rest you need and hope you come back fully recovered with alot of strenght for fighting with me ;) the last sentence was a joke ;)

have a nice day oxwallers!

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jan 10 '18
dave Leader
dave Jan 10 '18
Its not really bugs in the Ostore as it is features he wants.  The small bugs will get fixed i dont remember any of them are fatal or take away from the experience.  

Thanks for your kind words OWG.....   I was about to get upset when you said you were changing plugins via hired devs because you are not allowed legally to do that with any of mine.  This is why i am all for encryption for plugins.  But since you corrected yourself and said you have not done that with mine then no reason for me to get upset.  Ill let the other devs worry about their own stuff. 

Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Jan 10 '18
LMAO....HI dave, check your inbox i sent some bugs with o-store but they are minor and they do affect the usability at some stage in my case....please have a look 30% is bugs and 10% is features i wanted and 60% rather corrections.
dave Leader
dave Jan 11 '18
OK np webster, ill have alook..  it had nothing to do with how long its taken me to do this anyway. Things are what they are with my situation.  But i will get it done for you.  I do realize that i am late in getting to it.. .
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Jan 11 '18
Thanks Dave
dave Leader
dave Jan 13 '18
Webster nothing in my inbox are you sure you sent it.  
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Jan 19 '18
Yes I'm sure.?check our previous conversations
dave Leader
dave Jan 19 '18
ok will do thanks
dave Leader
dave Jan 19 '18
Also webster i am asking you to remember a few things.  Even though i made a promise about getting this done last year, it was my intent to do so.. Things didnt work out that way and it was out of my control. If i had tried to do it then it would have been done quickly, hazardly, and badly.  That is not why i spent many years building my reputation for quality.  If my name is going to be on it, it has to be done to the best of my ability and if i make mistakes i fix them.. 

Also remember webster that we sell a plugin for example $30 and then we spend $500 in time maintaining that plugin over time.  If i did not enjoy doing what i do i would not do it because there is no money in doing plugins.  

I happen to love what i do so to me its not all about money, but the money does help justify the time spent even though it is as a loss financially.  

In the Ostore case even though it is a great plugin and took me a very long time to build it, it is as other plugins just not a big seller.  You happen to be the one and only customer that is asking for changes.   That does not mean that i wont do it for you because i will, its the right thing to do and you deserve the update.  But you do have to realize that from a business standpoint the most requests and the more popular sellers get preference.  

I remember the days where tons of people were begging for a store plugin, so i built one. It is a great plugin and offers tons of features.  However it was a passing fancy to many and since its release i have sold very few of them.   I am willing to except that this is part of doing business but i also have to keep my more popular plugins up and running first. 

I have one more little feature that i will add the the ultimatevideo plugin and that should be it for a year or so.  I will take a week off and then i will start to work on the ostore plugin.  In no way did i intentionally want to make you feel that you were not important but i made a business decision and i stick by it.  

It will get done.. :)

The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 19 '18
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jan 21 '18
"sell a plugin for example $30 and then we spend $500 in time maintaining that plugin over time."

- not agree on that at all. depends how skilled you are as coder and depends how good you are to analyze your work before you tell it is finished plugin. some are only analyze they plugins one time VERY quickly and let they customer analyze they plugins for them totaly free and then they get angry upset when the customers find all bugs they they need fix for free. 

i feel many developers feel it is fun create something but broed to fix the bugs customers finds because it is for free and they did not calculate with all this bugs customers find that they need fix on they free time totally free.

not forget that we customers loosing more then 500 usd a year for not can use your plugin fully and let our customers get upset and leave our sites because of the errors.

"its release i have sold very few of them"

- You should post and see how many was interested before you started the project.

i doubt it was more then 5 or maximum 10 that was interested in such plugin, but i can bee wrong then prove it to me.

with all this said i feel the developers here are thinking all the same "why should i fix bugs for free i get nothing back and i do it all the time"

many dave have left the store just because of this. the fun when they just created the plugin was not fun anymore when all people are find bugs all the time. 

there are at least 20 developers that give a shit about how long time customers need wait for get they bugs fixed and i soon do not know anyone that is fast fix bugs...

webster like i said before i have stopped begging because i know it will take forever if you wait this developers fix you bugs better you hire a third part developer fix the bugs and you will have it done in 1 or 2 days normaly.

if someone want sue me for fix hos not working plugin, then he is welcome sue me i will sue him back.

and again i have no problems with you plugin dave that i buy from you so you not need worry i have not fix any errors in you plugin....

anyways about you rules to no add or change you code dave if there is errors in you plugin....how can you know if someone have change the code? you need to enter they server to see if they change you code?

And when you talk about encryption and not fix errors with third part developers.

Customers find for FREE bugs on your plugins and bring up here for FREE 100 times in 1 year at least errors you self never find and errors other developers never find. and this we need analyze and post here for FREE many times. do we ask for money to do that?? no we never do that we just want explain for you totally free where the error is and how to reproduce them and that takes time to, many developers forget that work we do FREE and only looking what they self do FREE all the time.

I spend 10000 hours in this store analyze plugins for FREE and find bugs that i bring up for FREE and post them here but i get nothing back and i never wanted something back.

I spend 1000 of hours to try make plugins better and suggest new features for FREE but get nothing back. do i ask to get something back? never i would do that because i like make thing better and solve problems.

I concider a plugin that have bugs for many years as a not quality plugin and not really analyzed from start.

And again developers let us do the analyze work to find the bugs from start and later they complains they need fix the bugs for free....in my ears it sounds no good....

developers need money for fix the bugs in time but they not get and thats why it not get better in this store and will never get better then it is today...sad but true....and nobody ready change anything in the store...look no good for this store future.....no customers want to have it like this and no developers want to have it like this.....

if you have health problem Dave i respect that 100% and i understand why you no time to fix errors in you plugins, but when you start bring up money and show some sample about money and whining about that i could not stop responding to your post because i feel this is what all other developers in this store feels to "why i do this free" and give a shit about fix they plugins in time. same you was bring up encryption that would bee like "closing" oxwall and skadate for good. i mean should i wait 2 -3 years for developers here to wake up is that what you want with you encryption to all plugins?

ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jan 21 '18
dave Leader
dave Jan 21 '18

Its probably more than $500, alot more when you consider the research and development time it takes to put it all together.  Rememeber im not talking about tonka toy plugins with a few php files. Im talking about serveral of my plugins are HUGE and they take planning and forethought, and time is money.  Which is why i am also for a support fee, even a small annual fee starting the 25th month after purchase would help.  Look at software like WHMCS, they are not only encrypted they have huge support fees every year you pay through the nose. 

If you never get anything back from testing plugins then you are doing the testing for the wrong developers.  Any developer should give you a free copy of the plugin or at least a huge discount if you test it for them. If you are not receiving that then you need to stop testing that developers plugins. 

I dont mind fixing bugs, times change, needs change and so they are not always bugs but maybe a new feature, a new request, a new use for the plugin, or maybe just keeping up with PHP versions and code practices.   I dont mind doing that, what i mind is that there are those out there that i have seen that expect the update quickly or expect every one of their features or requests to be added.  It is just not that simple to do that.  

Every feature that is added must be applied to the masses and not just a few people, and so there are some things that just cannot be done because not everyone has the same server config.

I am fighting right now with someone on paypal who did a chargeback because they didnt read my product discription that is VERY VERY clear that you cant run ffmpeg effectively on a shared server. Plus the host is sitepoint which totally sucks in every way possible.  So even though the plugin still works without ffmpeg, and even thought i spent hours of my own time trying to help him and talking to his host who are a bunch of fools pushing buttons that they dont know what they do.  And i tried to explain to him for 3 days why the ffmpeg was needed to convert videos and that php could not do so on its own.  He is trying to get his money back because his server is broken not my plugin, my plugin runs perfect.  But i guess he is one of those pot smoking idiots who cant remember things past the last joint.  

This is what i hate, ungrateful idiots that waste my time through their foolishness.  He didnt even contact me before hand to ask me what he needed to run ffmpeg.  And then when he is mad he cusses at me and threatens me with physical violence and also calls me a scam which i am not, i have never been, and will never be.   If i lose the paypal case then i wont be selling any plugins to UK customers anymore if thats the way they are with merchants.  I have never lost a case yet, some have taken months but i have eventually won every one of them.  Im just tired of foolish people i guess that have no business whatsoever running a website of any kind.  

Sorry to be so blunt, i have probably said too much... 

Dave 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 21 '18
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jan 22 '18
okey i understand, 

yes there is some bad people . customers or developers they all can bee bad people you just need learn to sort them out. luckily we customers learned in many years here what developers that are jokers and bad people. but that have cost me a lot of money to much money to find out. i wish it would bee a better way to find it out. the only you can see it is the public forums but some developers try hide this public topics on front page on they store with sticky post. and i have been threathen to take away post to from people work directly in this oxwall and skadate team so i did not have any option then delete my post if i want survive here in a long run....but is that right to do like that? i can not post any name....

anyways i talk to the walls this store will keep bee the same forever at least i feel so and i really hope i wrong because it could easily bee so much better with some new rules and store design changes.

Ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jan 22 '18
dave Leader
dave Jan 23 '18
Well Ghost i will tell you this much.  I have sued before for loss of revenue related to license violation. And yes it did take time to finally get the settlement due to the person being out of the country.   

However in the end not only did the defendant have to do jail time but he also paid $10,000 in penalties + court costs + attorney's fees because he violated the license for a $75 script that i had online.   In order to pay the defendant had to sell his car, his portion of a small business, and close his savings account.

Not only did he have to pay for his copy of the software, he also had to pay for the litteral and suspected number of copies that he made illegally, and all of the copies that the people he gave the script to who were suspected of making copies.  

And all of that for a $75 script that he could have coded himself or had someone do legally for a few hundred bucks.   I will assure you that the legal arms of the law are not bound by borders or continents.  The legal world takes online and software violations seriously.  

So i would advise you to really consider the consequences of doing what you say you are doing before you continue to do so.  And even if you can live with what you are doing, in the end it is just not worth it.  

There are plenty of people such as myself who will be patient while the long arm of the law does its job.  So you might want to consider that. 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jan 23 '18
Dave if you try do some scary story that will have no effect, i can make up same scary story about developers that sell software that is not working fully and scam people on money if you want but i see no point in doing that. 

with all this said:

"If you want follow rules strictly then follow them you self strictly and keep you house clean before you jump on others"

and this words was not for you dave.

I forget to tell when it comes to "sell copys" i totally agree with you it should not bee allowed at all. but we was talking about fix errors so your oxwall and skadate site can earn money and not stop working for many years as some developers like to see happens and i think SOME enjoy it to when they not reply or fix they bugs for many many months and years, but for some reason you was sail away about selling plugin copys that i agree should never bee allowed to do

have a great day my friend...

Ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jan 23 '18
Pages: 1 2 »