We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Plugins and licenses? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
Shaun
Shaun Sep 30 '17
I don't want to start another Is Oxwall dead thread because without an official answer (and lets face it we are not going to get one) the discusion goes no where.

What I would like to know is what happens if the Oxwall website and servers disapear alltogether, what happens to the plugins that currently need to validate their licences with Oxwall.

We allready know that they will be automaticly deactivated if they can't be validated but since this is something that will be beyond our control and could pottentially cause us alot of trouble some reasurance that this is not going to happen would be appreciated.

Will developers be willing to remove the need for license validation if this happens? remember not everyone has the skills to implement the necesary updates to the plugings and I doubt developers will want to sift through thousends of diffrent sights manually updating users plugins.

If not would we be breaking license agreements by hiring a developer to remove the need for license validation?

I may be worrying over nothing but I have spent a lot of money over the years for Plugins and have noticed that despite paying for and having a receipt for them a number of plugins I have purchased have disapeard from Oxwall along with their respective developers profiles.

I don't want to loose any more as it would be devestating for my site.

Thought please?
ArtMedia
ArtMedia Sep 30 '17
When this is happen, i issue path to oxwall, which don't deactivate any plugins when license key don't be validated correctly
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Sep 30 '17
I'm no programmer, but I would assume, and we all know about assuming, that the code is bi directional. There would have to be something on one end to have the correct license, and something on the other end to check your license, and compare the two, and I'm sure several other variables are there to make sure you don't have paid versions installed on other domains.
Here's my thought. If Oxwall shutdown the servers, the communication couldn't establish a connection, and timeout, and, hopefully, not take any action.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Oct 1 '17
Good question. I would like to know this to 

I think the plugins would stop working because if you have been here for a long time they always use "suspend" when they want to remove a plugin from the store so the plugin license will still working. This have happen to me at least with 1 or 2 plugins.

BUT if they decide remove the plugin totally from the server or close down the domain + server i think the license to that plugin would not work anymore.

This is what i think will happens...it is no safe investment. they should handle this proper the day they decide close they business BUT do WE trust that they will hanlde that proper that time it would happen?

For me my trust is very low fpr they help US that day...sorry to say it but the store is WILD WESTERN with very little rules that protect buyers from bad developers and thinks like this..... ..alot of gamble with BIG money...and one day you can loose it all with no notice

I always said that invest money in any plugins in this store is a BIG risk there is no safe line for things like this happens

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Oct 1 '17
JB TECH
JB TECH Oct 2 '17
The thing people would do is called "nulling" plugins/themes. Basically, it's a modification thing hackers use on softwares to skip over software validations for licenses. The process is basically "get the source, remove callbacks to licenses/devs, then utilize" the only problem with this is no license/key verification means a Developer's commercial plugin could issue many losses profit wise.

However, such losses don't seem to be at the interest of the Oxwall team who has completely abandoned the project to go and focus their efforts on their paid version of Oxwall that's making them 1,000s at a time. It wouldn't be as sickening to me if they didn't tout on the "we're all about open source software!" Oxwall would be better off being left with some community leaders and willing volunteer developers at this point.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Oct 2 '17
One other thing to keep in mind. The Oxwall paid version website "https://www.oxwall.com/" does link to this store, and this forum. They do still monitor it as you can see some spam, illegal, or offensive posts being removed. The team are the only ones with the capability of doing that. They do offer the free version there as well, but with no support. That is probably why you don't see any team members replying here anymore. It appears that they have a ticket system for support for those who purchase a paid option. This forum has obviously been relegated to users, and devs willing to help where they can. To get support from the team you would apparently need to purchase a paid package. There is still slow activity on github, so they are still moving. Just not as fast as some want. As I told Dave in one message; Devs are able to be more active in creating new plugins right now, and not having to chase updates every time they blink to keep their plugins working with the platform. Hopefully the reason for the slowed development is that they are working on something big, and are making sure that the changes are working correctly. 
The Forum post is edited by Darryl B Oct 3 '17