We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

[solved]empty database tables | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 22 '19
Hello

I notice my website start get bigger and bigger database tables.

ow_base_log 922.4 MB
ow_memberx_search_result 493.7 MB
ow_notifications_notification 312.0 MB
ow_mailbox_message 291.8 MB

ow_base_site_statistic 279.4 MB

Can i empty this tables without do any harm on my website?

Please someone create a plugin that empty database tables because oxwall i feel not doing this on auto

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Feb 23 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 22 '19
here is some more tables that i want empty?

ow_base_search_result            199,5 Mb

ow_mailbox_conversation         162,4 Mb

ow_memberx_search_id            80,3 Mb

ow_mailbox_last_message           53  Mb

can i empty ?

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Feb 22 '19
AppXprt
AppXprt Feb 22 '19
I think Patricia is working on this as we speak!

I'm all for more admin plugins and utilities and I have extensive DB, Filesystem and Library experience...

It would be great if this could be added to CacheExtreme.

The Forum post is edited by AppXprt Feb 22 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 22 '19
yes add it to cacheextreme i agree

but before someone release a plugin

can i empty all this tables with no harm my website? because this 10 are the biggest ones

AppXprt
AppXprt Feb 22 '19
I can't say either way man, I've never had to do this, but I'm sure I will experience it in the future.

Backup Database and Files and then try it out. 

Trial and Error is the best way to learn sometimes...

With that being said, It's not recommended that anyone alter / modify the database unless you are a developer and know exactly what you're doing.

This is why I recommend everyone have a dev sub domain that you can test updates, experiment with idea's, develop plugins / themes / modifications.

It only takes like 5-10 minutes to setup a new install on a new sub domain, so why not?

Then you can load the dev setup with a current version (clone) of your production site and test the database removals without crashing your main site...

I might actually put this in my OxBackup / OxUpdater for the option to restore to new Database / Sub Domain.

The Forum post is edited by AppXprt Feb 22 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 22 '19
i lazy...but yes you are right about what you say

I need someone who already test this before, what tables that is okey empty in the top 9 list i was bring up here

hmmm.....but if nobody have the answer i forced like you say test it my self and do backups

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Feb 22 '19
AppXprt
AppXprt Feb 22 '19
I could probably actually create a plugin that creates a clone development sub domain or include it in OxBackup / OxUpdater.

The only problem is it would be up to the Admin to configure HTTPd (Apache) / DNS / SSL / etc...

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 22 '19
i think ow_base_log should do no harm to empty. 
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Feb 22 '19

I am developing a plugin to do this cleaning, but it is a delicate issue and I have to make sure, so it will take a while.

The table ow_base_log can empty it without problems, but careful not to delete it because the next access to write something will give an error that is difficult to locate because it is only written when there is already an error and it is very difficult to find this. 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 23 '19
i did empty all tables with no issues.....

but have in mind you clear some old statistic and all new and old messages will bee cleared.....but nothing that will harm you site to clear this tables

the site will work same as before but some history will bee gone....that is all

if someone want i will explain every tables data what type of data it saves 

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Feb 23 '19
Please, OW-Ghost, explain in detail in which tables you have applied what criteria, I am very interested in it because I am developing a plugin that does this and I can take some idea. It does not matter to me by private message or in public.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 23 '19
ow_base_log  = alot of errors for your oxwall software from the start you was install the site and from today date

ow_memberx_search_result = saved search result for faster search for new members from the start you was install and today date

ow_notifications_notification = notifications from the day you was install the plugin and today date

ow_mailbox_message = message history from install start date and today date

ow_base_site_statistic = statistic page in admin panel. history how many joined and how many buy membership how many upload photos and more....from install website and today date

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Feb 23 '19
same logic with the other tables that i already explained....the name is tell more then thousand words and if you look inside the table you see exactly what data it is save

if you not care about history just clear the data same i did, but if you care about very very old history then maybe you should keep the data

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Feb 23 '19
Thanks for helping. The ones that stop OxWall are ow_notifications_notification and  ow_mailbox_message because in the others it is written only and no consultations are made.

The friends table is also a disaster but it can not be emptied in any way. A request for friendship remains forever accepted or not, and if accepted is a new record. If one of the two members involved is unsubscribed, nothing is deleted. This table encourages me to make a plugin with a widget for the profile of how many requests you reject or reject, how many ignore you or ignore you. In my future plugin you can configure how much this information is memorized, for example one year I see it useful but for example 500 records from two years ago of a boy who sent petitions to all the girls and did not accept them is not a valid fact It's worth keeping.

These three tables are continually consulted to show you up if you have friendship requests, notifications or messages. If you have a very full web, it is what makes it slower