We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Allow Spiders - Anti Spam, Anti Bots Killer | Forum

Catkin
Catkin Apr 30 '19

I have bought the Anti spam and Bot blocking plugin. I would hightly recomend it to those who are interested! 

One problem I have now encounted is that our site nolonger embeds into chats  like Discord, Facebook and Twitter. I would like to allow spider to crawl my site so that it may be embedded however still like to block Yandex and untrustworthy spiders on the site.

I have noticed in the plugin description that it is possable to change this by modifying a file. I have contacted the devloper a few weeks back but wondered if there would be a comunity reply in the mean time!

Looking for your assistance. Thank you very much

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer May 9 '19
Just add the spider's IP or website's IP to the whitelist to allow them to enter your website and use your content.

Thank you.

Senior Developer.

Catkin
Catkin May 9 '19
Hello Senior Developer.

This sadly is not really a great answer. Spiders IP addresses are not often made public and often they do not have specific IP ranges. I already looked into this as a solution, google had a great blog post on it but I unfortunately could not find it to post it here.

You say in the plugin Description that you only need to delete one file to allow spiders to grab content. Since it is not a huge stress on our site to allow spiders I think we shall just allow all of them and then add some of the more nefarious spiders to the IP blacklist to cut down on their requests. 

Thank you for your response. 
Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer May 9 '19

I'm going to see what's the best way to allow all the good ones and update this plugin, meanwhile if you want to try something:

You can log in at your ftp server and change the name of this 2 files. "botsblocker/classes/libs/zbblock/signatures/spd.sig".

"botsblocker/classes/libs/zbblock/signatures/hn.sig".

That should allow some spiders to get in your website.

If you can please send me your "botsblocker/classes/libs/zbblock/vault/killed_log.csv" file to take a look at it and see where they are coming from to your server and being blocked.

Thank you.

Senior Developer

Catkin
Catkin May 10 '19
That would be an amazing idea if you can update it to allow popular spiders! In the mean time I will get back to you with the requested files and directories changes. 

Thank you very much for your support!

Catkin
Catkin Jun 23 '19
Hello Senior Developer.

Sent you the requested files a while back now. Just wondering if there is any further updates to this issue. After I re-named the requested files Spiders are still blocked. 

Senior Developer Leader
Senior Developer Aug 28 '19
This is solved by adding the hostname to the new "host" field in whitelist settings.

Senior Developer.

Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Nov 12 '19
Hi SD,

Not sure i understand, so the updates allow the following as per Jamie's request ?

One problem I have now encounted is that our site nolonger embeds into chats  like Discord, Facebook and Twitter. I would like to allow spider to crawl my site so that it may be embedded however still like to block Yandex and untrustworthy spiders on the site.

You do not have permission to reply this topic