We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Ipv6 IP adresses - Oxwall Support ? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 2 '19
Hello

Is Ipv6 IP adresses supported on oxwall ?

Thanks

Ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 2 '19
dave Leader
dave Aug 3 '19
Im not sure if its a question of support or a question of use.  I have never seen anyone use Ipv6 and certainly never exclusively, most people just pretend it does not exist and dont even bother with it for several reasons. 

From my last time reading about this (which has been awhile) here is the general scoop.

1. Its too confusing for the general user to implement.

2. It does not solve enough issues to make the change or implement at all.

3. It is still being developed and there are alot of techs that consider it still a beta version.

The only way to know for sure if it supports it would be to set up a test environment and try it. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 3 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 3 '19
Dave, every year Ipv6 growing around the world.

Cloudflare have make it very hard to disable ipv6 because they told not to do it but you can do with some not good tweaks and probably you only loosing on doing that like cloudflare them self telling to they clients to avoid disable Ipv6 IP enter your site 2019

here is some statistic from 2018 and soon it is year 2020

https://www.internetsociety.org/resources/2018/state-of-ipv6-deployment-2018/

I did install cloudflare that have set they CDN to recieve ipv6 as default and i was get members join with IP 0.0.0.0

first i think i was hacked later i was understand it is the new ipv6 that either my server can not handle or oxwall can not handle

Thats why i ask if someone have this working on they oxwall website fully?

If works on oxwall i can start analyze why my server not handle ipv6

but i need sure first if it is oxwall or my server that not handle ipv6

i use ip-remote module because i need recieve original client IP when i use cloudflare or any cdn 

hope someone here use cloudflare or use ipv6 on they website that can answer

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 3 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 3 '19

Update:

A trusted oxwall developer told me ipv6 not supported in oxwall 

that is very bad news and you will loosing alot of traffic and that is not good at all

dissapointed i feel i use software from 1990 not from 2020 i hope someone can build a plugin that upgrade oxwall to use ipv6 IPs it would bee a big upgrade for make you site growing much more

i can fully confirm many use ipv6 the year 2019 ,because i see my server logs they ipv6 ip adresses many try enter my sites every day

ow-ghost

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 3 '19
Oxwall Türkiye
Oxwall Türkiye Aug 4 '19
With static IP, oxwall or such structures cannot be a problem. Static IP The address of your server is handled in another sense, specifying the DNS and IP protocol path. In addition, a hosting company gives you an IPv6 address, and this common server takes the DNS address. If you want to add a custom IP protocol, then you must be the presentation server manager. For Host or VDS this may be unnecessary and trouble. This problem is mainly due to the fact that there is a shared server. You can still get a private address, but it can be obtained from companies that offer international server methods. You cannot obtain a private address from companies that share some kind of disk sharing servers.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 4 '19

Oxwall Türkiye

It is my clients that use ipv6 IP adresses when they join my sites and more and more will do so in future and to not support this adresses are very bad. you will no control what ip that join your software in the software interface. but i think a plugin could solve this because it is not a rocket science for someone who have skills 

not my cdn use a public ipv6 adress or maybe it do, i do not know all cloudflares public ip:s they use and probably not static ip:s in front end

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 4 '19
dave Leader
dave Aug 4 '19
Ghost, check this out...  https://www.mythic-beasts.com/ipv6/health-check

and this 

https://blog.mythic-beasts.com/2014/09/15/get-your-site-ready-for-ipv6-a-step-by-step-guide/

what OXT is trying to tell you is that it probably has more to do with your server config than oxwall itself.   Your users connect via your server and that is where much of the work is done, if you cant config your server then the battle is lost before you even start, and a plugin is not going to make any difference in that case. 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 5 '19
dave i was test ipv6 health check and it says i have ipv6 support fully

so again like a oxwall developer told here it is oxwall that not lookup the ipv6 

if i only could read code how oxwall lookup ip i could understand more how it works and why it fails with ipv6

suprised nobody use cloudflare with they ipv6 set to default and use oxwall.....hehe....anyways this forum is not very big anymore sadly so you can not always get the answers you look for...at least i was try

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Aug 5 '19
dave Leader
dave Aug 5 '19
The only thing so far that i have found in the script (still looking) is in the facebook plugin where it will fall back to ipv4 first and then try ipv6

here is that code, but its only in the FB plugin, have not found anything in the core yet. 

// With dual stacked DNS responses, it's possible for a server to    

// have IPv6 enabled but not have IPv6 connectivity.  If this is   

// the case, curl will try IPv4 first and if that fails, then it will    

// fall back to IPv6 and the error EHOSTUNREACH is returned by the   

// operating system.    

if ($result === false && empty($opts[CURLOPT_IPRESOLVE])) {        $matches = array();        $regex = '/Failed to connect to ([^:].*): Network is unreachable/';        if (preg_match($regex, curl_error($ch), $matches)) {          if (strlen(@inet_pton($matches[1])) === 16) {            self::errorLog('Invalid IPv6 configuration on server, '.                           'Please disable or get native IPv6 on your server.');            self::$CURL_OPTS[CURLOPT_IPRESOLVE] = CURL_IPRESOLVE_V4;            curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_IPRESOLVE, CURL_IPRESOLVE_V4);            $result = curl_exec($ch);          }        }    }

that is in base_facebook.php

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 5 '19
dave Leader
dave Aug 5 '19
For the cloudflare plugin the ip code is at the bottom of the init.php file in the plugin.
dave Leader
dave Aug 5 '19
For the core the code is on line 91 in ow_core/request.php

and for the API its on line 43 in ow_system_plugins/base/controllers/api_server.php

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 5 '19
ahaaa

maybe i need the cloudflare plugin installed for the ipv6 working fully?

i will test install the cloudflare plugin see what happens

many people asked many times what the cloudflare plugin doing? and maybe this is one thing it fix?

i will try read the ini file see how the ip works in that plugin

thanks for the help dave

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 5 '19
what is this code doing?

OW::getRouter()->addRoute(new OW_Route('cloudflare_admin', 'admin/plugins/cloudflare', 'CLOUDFLARE_CTRL_Admin', 'index'));
if ( (bool) OW::getConfig()->getValue('cloudflare', 'is_enabled') ){    if ( isset($_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP']) )    {        $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'];    }}

with my very little php skills it looks like it sets ip address variable that is usually used to determine client ip

dave Leader
dave Aug 5 '19
OW::getRouter()->addRoute(new OW_Route('cloudflare_admin', 'admin/plugins/cloudflare', 'CLOUDFLARE_CTRL_Admin', 'index'));

that just tells the server where to go to find the admin page of the plugin

if ( (bool) OW::getConfig()->getValue('cloudflare', 'is_enabled') )

{    

if ( isset($_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP']) )    

{        

$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'];

}

}

This says if the cloudflare plugin is enabled then lets check to see if there is a cloudflare ip that goes along with that

if the php function $_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP']) has value, 

then set the ip address function to the value of the cloudlfare ip 

otherwize the ip will be the default  $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']  which is the ip shown to the public.  

See there are dif types of ips, the ip that you show to the public, the real ip, and the cloudflare ip which uses their proxy.  

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 5 '19
Thanks dave for the explanation it helped a lot.

i know testing again activate ipv6 in header with this plugin and see if i still get 0.0.0.0 ips in oxwall if a user sign up on my websites with a ipv6 adress

i will solve this issue and later when i solved it i will tell how i was solve it or if someone use cloudflare and ipv6 then would happy if post here how you was solve it :)

i think easy solve it if you know how to do

but i think some plugins that look up ip not support long ip adresses but that is another issue as long oxwall support it the third part plugins need upgrade they plugins to 
Quote from dave OW::getRouter()->addRoute(new OW_Route('cloudflare_admin', 'admin/plugins/cloudflare', 'CLOUDFLARE_CTRL_Admin', 'index'));

that just tells the server where to go to find the admin page of the plugin

if ( (bool) OW::getConfig()->getValue('cloudflare', 'is_enabled') )

{    

if ( isset($_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP']) )    

{        

$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP'];

}

}

This says if the cloudflare plugin is enabled then lets check to see if there is a cloudflare ip that goes along with that

if the php function $_SERVER['HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP']) has value, 

then set the ip address function to the value of the cloudlfare ip 

otherwize the ip will be the default  $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']  which is the ip shown to the public.  

See there are dif types of ips, the ip that you show to the public, the real ip, and the cloudflare ip which uses their proxy.  

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 5 '19
update:

cloudflare plugin did not help at all

ipv6 adresses are now start show up like 0.0.0.0 in oxwall database

hmmm

how to make oxwall read ipv6 adresses ....what i missing?

is it a server setting i need or is it a oxwall core upgrade i need?

a new third part plugin call ipquality plugin is read the correct ipv6 adress when someone joins...how is that possible?

it must bee a oxwall core issue that not handle ipv6 i can not think about something else right now

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 5 '19
hehe i see dave you been in this forum long time :)

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/11215

that third part plugin is not support ipv6 sadly

dave Leader
dave Aug 5 '19
yes i have been here since about 2013 i believe, and see i was a noob at one time as well, didnt know anything about oxwall at that time, i just taught myself and learned from the forum.    

If ipv6 is being read using that plugin then its not the plugin doing it, its the api to ipquality website that is doing it. 

I could prob do a plugin to do this but ill let others have the glory.... im sure SD or someone will come up with something.  Ask Patricia or artmedia and see if they will do a plugin.

You can also try ebenezer obasi and see if he will do one as well, if he is still active. 

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Aug 6 '19

i follow up oxwall core lookup ip feature with some info

for make it work this require edit oxwall core files etc. user dto file, registration process, because on oxwal code you have ip parsed to int value and this is impossible to ipv6, so when somebody register account via ipv6, then he have joinIP = 0

so yes only a plugin would working with ipv6 lookup on oxwall and so far there is nobody who created such plugin that support ipv6.

i talk with artmedia and he tell his plugin support ipv6 if set to lookup when user sign in everytime, but still i get value 0.0.0.0 in his plugins

maybe he will fix it, i hope so

The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Germany Aug 11 '19
dave Leader
dave Aug 7 '19
I thought he was still active and updating stuff... sorry if i was wrong... 
Pages: 1 2 »