We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Conversation chat mode pluging idea | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Marcus
Marcus Oct 2 '19
Hi folks. Messages conversation gets updated every 3rd second. Users can chat but its a bit slow.

My idea is to add option to messages conversation section called chat mode when selected conversation will get updated every second as apose to every 3rd second. 

In other word simply increase ping to 1 sec. 
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Oct 2 '19
dave Leader
dave Oct 2 '19
It does not seem like alot but for those with shared hosting that have to pay for IO (Input Output) 1 second means alot.  It means that if their site is busy they will hit their limit sooner. I would only recommend doing this for those that have a DEDI server with root access. 
Marcus
Marcus Oct 3 '19
Thanks Dave but doesn't mailbox chat ping every second. 
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Oct 3 '19
is it 1 sec as default? i forget where exactly to check this....
Marcus
Marcus Oct 3 '19
The js value is called pinginterval. Ow pings every 3rd second by default
The Forum post is edited by Marcus Oct 3 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Oct 3 '19
ok, thanks for let me know :)
dave Leader
dave Oct 3 '19
Yes but there is a reason that the conversation is 3 seconds and the chat is 1 sec.  It could be that way to allow time for the DB to update before getting the data, preventing what we call a race condition.  In which a record is requested before  it is updated.  I dont know why they are different but i assume they had a reason to do that. 
Marcus
Marcus Oct 4 '19
OK I got it now makes sence. Gonna stick with the chat that comes along with the plugin. 
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Oct 4 '19
Ideally, the speed would vary from 0.1 to 5 seconds, starting at 0.1 and increasing the value if there is no response at that time.

In this way, abandoned open chats would not consume resources.