We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Even more weird issues after a complete reinstall. | Forum

Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Nov 28 '19

So I have completely wiped the drive I was hosting from and changed from Linux to Windows because I don't want to deal with file permissions and complicated stuff like that so I figured it would be easier to just go with Windows from this point forward.

So now the issues I'm facing are as follows:

Cannot login or create new users.

Any time I attempt to enter something into a form I get the error "CSRF Token is Invalid or Expired"

Windows 7 (7601)

XAMPP with PHP 5.6.40

These are much better then before and I was able to get the site far enough to get it somewhat working and even install a theme. But as of now it's very broken.

Anyone know where to go from here/what the cause of this issue is?

Edit: Reinstalled again with new db, same issues

The Forum post is edited by Tyler Hoban Nov 28 '19
dave Leader
dave Nov 29 '19
Hi Tyler, sorry you are having issues.  But honestly you may have made them worse by moving to windows.  The main reason is that not many of us have windows installs and those that do, you might get a reply from someone in time, well there are so many variations it would be hard to find someone with your exact setup. 

So my opinion you just made it harder for yourself to find support.  

The CSRF token is a security token that times out if you dont complete a form in a certain amount of time.  It is designed to help secure public input from those that have malicous intent. 

I know nothing of windows installs so i would not be able to help you past what i have offered so far.   

My advice:

Get you a host name, and get a certificate for it, its not that much $9, dont bother with the free stuff, its junk. 

Wipe your server and install CentOS 7 as the operating system. I say this because it has stood the test of time and for an OS that is most important. 

Then get cPanel, and dont buy cPanel from your server supplier when they set up your server, most of them dont use the new lower rates and you will end up paying more than you need to, also if you have an issue with cPanel you have to go through the reseller for support and that is a huge pain. Just get your own copy and learn to use it, be in control.   You can get it for $15 bucks now as a single doman and like 20 bucks for several domains, you dont have to pay $45 any more for cpanel unless you are a large user with tons of domain (yes they finally thought about the little guy). 

Cpanel has to be installed on a server with nothing but the OS on it. 

Then install cpanel and set up your host name, domain, and a index.php or index.html file just so you can test the domain out (it may time some time to propagate). 

Cpanel with WHM is very powerful and has lots of options, just keep it simple, it will take you some time to get it going, but remember once you get it all configed, its pretty much set it and forget it.   

Once that is done then set up cloudflare free edition so you dont need any host, they will be your host, and they are pretty good, its free and again youll need to config it, but that part they make pretty easy to do, youll have to do some tweaks in the dns but thats not bad either. 

Once you have all that done and you can test the site and it works with no errors. 

Then download the latest oxwall 1.8.4 and install it manually.   You will have a durable install that will have little issue and you can focus on running your site rather than what your doing now. 

If you have any questions setting up the server or cpanel you can ask here or on the cpanel forum, there are some really great people there to help.  

Thats my advice... i hope things work out for you and ask if you have questions. 

Dave :)

PS since cPanel changed their pricing i also will be going to a dedi server in february 2020 so im right behind you... :)    Also if you MUST have a free panel and cant afford cPanel, then look at webmin.  SD one of our other devs uses it and he can prob offer you some help in his spare time if you have questions. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 29 '19
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Nov 29 '19

I use Windows 10 and XAMPP with PHP 7.3 to develop plugins.

This configuration works very well and you do not need to buy or configure anything. Install and run

In the XAMPP forum there is a lot of support activity, I have looked at it without much detail because I did not need it.

Despite the multiple warnings during installation it may not work if firewalls and antivirus blablabla ... It works fine. I recommend that you install only PHP and MySQL and do not install the other suggested applications because they are not necessary or useful.

The database that is installed is MariaDB that works exactly the same and has two important advantages: It requires that all SQL commands be perfect and does not "assume" quotation marks where they are not specified, and error messages for this cause are much more explicit .

There are some "Warnings" not important of "Smarty", but you can ignore them, update Smarty or use Chamial (although it no longer exists)

The error messages of the latest versions of Smarty are also much more explicit.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with Windows 7, it has been obsolete for many years. I thought nobody used Windows 7 in 2019 !!!

dave Leader
dave Nov 29 '19
Thanks Patricia, im glad you use that and could help, ill remember you use that going forward.  :)
Marcus
Marcus Dec 2 '19
Ow 1.8.4 ain't work right on windows xampp server. It's a bit of pain that I have to use version 1.8.0 for plugings wevelopment lol.

The Forum post is edited by Marcus Dec 2 '19
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Dec 2 '19
I have been developing a very large plugin for two months, at the moment it has 175 files in 17 folders .... I assure you it works.
The Forum post is edited by Patricia Zorrilla Dec 2 '19
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 2 '19
my next project will bee windows with xampp just because i like to learn about setup servers.

if you will use:

Debian and webmin control panel i can assist you free, and both are 100% free to use.

I think there should bee no problem with use windows and xampp as i can see many here use it, but i not do

i did have this problem long time ago:

"""Cannot login or create new users.

Any time I attempt to enter something into a form I get the error "CSRF Token is Invalid or Expired"""

i know many others have it to, but right now i can not remember what make this problem. i will come back with better solution if i remember

have you try search in the forum?

last question

do you use cloudflare or any other cdn?

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Dec 2 '19
Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Dec 24 '19

Quote from Skadate Sweden my next project will bee windows with xampp just because i like to learn about setup servers.

if you will use:

Debian and webmin control panel i can assist you free, and both are 100% free to use.

I think there should bee no problem with use windows and xampp as i can see many here use it, but i not do

i did have this problem long time ago:

"""Cannot login or create new users.

Any time I attempt to enter something into a form I get the error "CSRF Token is Invalid or Expired"""

i know many others have it to, but right now i can not remember what make this problem. i will come back with better solution if i remember

have you try search in the forum?

last question

do you use cloudflare or any other cdn?

Hey there, I see you on these forums alot. Thanks for helping out. I've fixed all of my issues. There is no way for me to close this thread without deleting it.

Sorry for not updating.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Dec 29 '19
Hello

No problem :)

Thank you for let me know and thanks for the good words about me :)

Maybe i earn a "leader" label soon :)

Happy new years!

cheers!

Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Dec 30 '19

Quote from Skadate Sweden Hello

No problem :)

Thank you for let me know and thanks for the good words about me :)

Maybe i earn a "leader" label soon :)

Happy new years!

cheers!

Great luck on getting your role. You deserve it!

And a happy New year's to you as well.

Matt Long
Matt Long Jan 20 '20
Before choosing a web hosting service, you should consider your hosting requirements, think carefully about what you expect from your website, and consider what type of site you’ll be hosting (social network, marketplace, blog, portfolio, or something else).
AppXprt
AppXprt Jan 20 '20
Jump on AWS free tier for a year, it gives you a free server and free database. You can run windows, centos, debain, or Ubuntu. I run Oxwall on Ubuntu 18.04 on PHP 7.2

I highly recommend Debain / Ubuntu, but Centos is a great enterprise Linux distro, just behind the others because they use stable branches for everything.

OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Jan 21 '20
Jump on GCP free tier forever, it gives you a free server and free database. You can run windows, centos, debain, or Ubuntu. I run Oxwall on Debian OS with free control panel webmin.

I highly recommend Debain, but Centos is a great enterprise Linux distro, just behind the others because they use stable branches for everything.

We think almost same about servers. 

AWS is second best but i feel GCP is number 1 

The Forum post is edited by OW-Ghost Jan 21 '20